Tom's Hardware Superposition Benchmark Thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright ladies and gentlemen, here's my score on one of the cheapest GTX 1080s out there:

Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition:

Overclock:
Core Speed: 2012mhz - 1950 MHz
vRAM Speed: 5258MHz

I did not overvolt. Card stays in the 75-80C range so there's no way i'm putting more voltage into this guy.

Stock:

210169.c55c5bd4c41a7c76c344ef606f7f31fb.1600.jpg

Overclocked:

210169.caaebb84025fd74ed4620020e6d45ab1.1600.jpg

Oh yeah, huge difference between that an my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2. (Air Cooled)

My clocks are:

2126 GPU
6039 Memory

And never went above 66C

Superposition_Benchmark_v1_0_4819_1515039113.png

Wow that's sweet man. I'm assuming you overvolted right?

Either way, I'm not complaining. A free GTX 1080 is a free 1080. Nuf said.

My GTX 1060 G1 Gaming I could get 500+ offset on the memory and around 2100mhz with max overvolt.

That's crazy though how good quality memory modules and a good quality GPU makes such a difference.

Yeah, it was 120% on the slider and 100% for the usable voltage, so yeah.

Also that card was one of the few that came with 11GBS GDDR5X Memory out of the box before they dropped them all down to 10GBS Memory.

Wow so you were able to take the 11Gbps G5X to 12Gbps?? Geez.

So with a max overvolt you are only hitting 66C? That's astounding.

For anybody reading, this is proof that paying a few extra bucks for a premium 1080 over a regular 1080 like the AMP! Edition goes a long way.

It's a big card, 110mm fans and large cooler, that always helps, and those temps are with the stock fan profile.

The general thought is all GTX 1080's perform the same, I have never agreed with this.

My card did 4443 at stock clocks.

I really never did much with it until this thread started then I really started playing with it.

Got in a new PSU, Seasonic Prime Ti 650W and I think that let me get more out of the card over my old X-650w.

But that was the MAX I can get, any higher and I see spots etc.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

When you get 7K+ points under 80C lemme know

Would need a GTX 1080Ti for that and OC the hell out of it.

Or an SLI setup adding another GTX 1080 FTW2, that isn't going to happen though.

Maybe the next Gen Cards will be a lot faster, who knows.

I am in NO hurry, what I have is fast enough for anything I do and likely will be for some time yet.

Hey just curious, can you jank run the 8k superposition benchmark and let me know what your GPU temps are?

One thing I've noticed is that the bigger the resolution, the hotter the card gets. When running 4k-8k benchmarks my temps skyrocket to 83C even at 90% fan speed. I'm just curious if that applies to other cards aswell.

Oh my gosh...fans completely maxed out, at 8k resolution, card hits 88C!!!!!! NO overvolting either!!! That's insanity.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Try water. My old 6+8 GTX 1070 would always go above 65C even with its triple fan design until I water cooled it by zip-tying a 120mm AiO onto it. Even after 4 hours of GTA 5 at 3K (triple 1080p screens) it was only at 55C. Check out one of my scores earlier in the thread, temps were crazy.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

You could sell your 1080 to the miners now and wait till the April announcement and snap up some cheap 1070s for SLI. Paid about $800 for my SLI setup with both 1070s. One was $380 on Amazon and the other was $460 at Best Buy. If I was more patient I could have paid less.

Mine hits 67C at 8K...

Not going to do an SLI setup, don't think it's worth it.

Dang that's nuts.

I wish there were any liquid coolers compatible with my graphics card. :( All the big block ones are not compatible.

Anyways i'm gona benchmark my 1060 at 9gbps mem speed and 2150mhz on core later today for ya OP. Meanwhile I'm gona start undervolting my 1080 and see what happens.

The FTW2's normally run cool as long as the case has good airflow etc, mine does so I am sure that helps.

I don't think I ever saw mine go above 70C even in extended gaming.

From what I saw the card you have normally runs hotter than the other cards.

That is one good cooler for sure.

FYI it didn't get up to 88C at once, took about 5 minutes to get to 88C.

I think the airflow in my case is fine also (not great as it's not a mesh front but good nonetheless), i took the front panel off completely to see if there was a temp change during normal gaming, nada nothing. Same identical temps.

Your card runs warmer than the others normally, more like the reference card temps.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I wouldn't over volt it though.

I don't think my card is the norm though from looking at the reviews and tests, I can get higher clocks than any I have seen. I think there was a HUGE difference in the FTW2 cards that came with the 11GBS memory out of the box and the rest.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

My PNY 1070 barely even touches 60C under load with a fan curve like tempC=fan speed % (60C=60%, etc). I sold one card in my SLI setup, that one card bought my CPU, mobo, RAM, and PSU upgrades.

The problem with my SLI setup was my Xeon's PCIe revision of 2.0 - in SLI both cards ran at PCIe 1.1x8 which severely limited their real world performance. I'm 100% sure that if I still had my EVGA 1070 I'd be able to get 8K+ with SLI - but I have to wait until someone buys something from me again to get another (I sell custom PCs for a living).

Meanwhile I'm gonna add my GTX 980. Literally - superposition caused it to catch on fire. It does not work anymore because the benchmark literally cooked it.

5JqA1Dl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.