Tom's Hardware System Builder Now Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sold!!

... and then I read the Facebook part. And then I was sad.

But I went to check it out regardless and it is pretty cool. Just wish it was available without the whole Facebook part.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I concur with the above... Make it available as an ap just on this site, (akin to the GPU Charts) and it's a huge winner. Not saying the FaceBook ap should be removed; you should keep it still. But the more coverage and availability, the better.

Bravo on being the first with such a brilliant idea.

G

I clicked on the blue facebook link and got sent to one of those dodgy looking advertising sites and when i tried to cloce the tab i got those stupid box that pops up asking you if you really want to leave the site and when i tried to close firefox 4 i got a second one, I ended up having to "end Process" of FF in the task manager because i refuse to click on anything like those are you sure boxes since they often open up other windows etc. Tom's hardware need to seriously think about the online security of their readers instead of the $$$

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Neato however I don't think it will be much use for us actual Tom's users.
We after all are Demi-Gods descended by the Goddess Adonis and thus with our superior DNA we have the ability to stay in touch via MOBook (Mount Olympus book) which is far superior to Facebook but is restricted to only the greatest beings in the universe i.e. us.

But seriously... I understand making a Facebook app for this but such a feature native to this site would make so much more sense and be way more helpful to those looking to make a build. Even more so if you linked the hardware to benchmarks and reviews done on Tom's. This feature can rest on a page that is sponsored by one of the many advertisers (and of course can change) having a short ad before it launches and the page can be covered by said sponsor.

P.S. Seeing how my idea tends to make more sense and actually improves upon this site with a feature that will bring more people and thus more ad revenue how about sacking Joe Pishgar and hiring me for the job?

P.S.S. What is Tom's policy on co-worker relationships?

P.S.S.S. I totally ask that out of curiosity totally not about Jane...

G

Tried it out... dislike

Can't find a purpose to this either 'cause what's the point of sharing this on facebook? It would be helpful and productive if this was used on the Tom's website. People who are asking for upgrades/new builds on the forums could use this to help other users help them. This would help people on Tom's see what people are planning to buy all in one place instead of clicking each link. It would also provide pictures. Also, it would also help helpers by making it easier for them to quickly post parts. A nice feature to add would be allowing users to select a place/website to buy their parts and the app would automatically update the prices based on that place/website.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
So important stuff like this is what the tom's hardware web developers have been spending their time working on, rather than trivial things like fixing the post thumbs up/down issues.

Sgt Moo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
what a waste of data making it facebook only, that's pathetic, facebook being regarded as the biggest data mining operation in the history of the internet this is just a way for people to make money...but hey if Toms hardware can make a quick buck off it by selling peoples builds off to advertising agencies then it's all good right /sarcasm

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Data Mining.Cheers![/citation]
If it's anonymized, I can readily see a justification to data mining. It could help everyone in the entire enthusiast industry help get a clue as to what people are actually wanting/doing. Might make a lot of future decisions businesses make less ham-fisted and hare-brained.

[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]fixing the post thumbs up/down issues.[/citation]
To be honest, as they are now, I consider them more fixed than they were before.

I tried it and it's not very useful.

So what if I can pull parts from a list and put them in the build? I can't put a build together that's actually a good deal for anyone without actually linking websites that sell the items. And outside of CPU, price is all that really differentiates anything.

There are so few choices (like only Biostar H61 boards?) that this is pretty much pointless. I could just tell someone, "Buy an i3 and a Radeon", because that's about as accurate as this system gets.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Why is EVERYTHING now being tied into facebook?

It seems as if companies can't do anything without forcing people to have a facebook account.

Are they paying your that much?

G

Hey all, I agree that all of this Facebook integration must die a painful death. This is coming from an Enterprise-level SysAdmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.