Tom's Hardware Wants You: CPU Tests For 2011

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I would like to see a CPU chart with Premiere Pro CS5 transcoding, for example AVCHD 1080 50i material transcoded into H.264 BlueRay or MPEG2 BlueRay... that`s what most of the videographers are interested in. And personally i`m not interested into synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark , sandra and the likes of them ... i`ll take my CPU to do real world stuff not to see how well is 3DMark optimized for god knows what CPU ... nobody but enthusiasts will ever install those programs on a PC. So more real world aplications please and less synthetics.

G

A pre-cache ing feature. I'd like to pre-cache an article and quickly click through the pages. Not necesarily a CPU test, but good request nonetheless.

G

A BASE 100 for every test as it was IBM AT.

Perhaps for the first time use of this base 100 the faster one (I supose a i7 one) as base 100, or even establish as base 100 the faster processor each 6 months, and recalculate all results in the database.

If it where for computers I would choose a MAC model that use to be more time in he market and is well known by every kind of user.

Some of the tests must be plattform independent, becouse I think you must add PHONE CPUs to the tests as TEGRA and put a x86 CPU that would be nearby its performance.

And of course for mobile and any other computers Watt per hour in several ways and Watt/h/Mhz if they are multifrecuency.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
team fortress 2... that game is so popular and CPU depenedent you will get a lot of views for just the TF2 part of the article

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
What about a categorization of low end / medium pc's a.k.a. budget pc's benchmark, with old games like Doom3, Prey, Quake4, Serious sam HD, supreme commander 2, Painkiller etc.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Cyberlink MediaExpresso or other GPU encoding program.
Specview Perf 11.
Same face recognition program, like Picasa / Adobe Bridge Element / Cyberlink MediaShow.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Can't forget Battlefield Bad Company 2. I think it's a great benchmarking tool because..

1. It scales across many cores which is unfortunately not true with most games
2. The Frostbite engine is here to stay and will be in several games as we can see with Medal of Honor utilizing it as well.
3. It's just a popular and fun game overall.

opt1x

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Definitely think that Crysis should stay on there, and I think you should add Starcraft 2.

My reasons behind Starcraft 2 are:
1) The game is extremely popular (3 million sold in the first month correct me if I'm wrong), and people want to see benchmark results for games that they're going to play.
2) Would be a great test for CPU comparison seeing that it is an RTS and RTS games require a lot of processor performance as well.

My 2 cents.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Folding@home to test the GPU, since some of us also purchase top notch cards for folding, while we game :)

i play starcraft2 and farcray2 while folding and game play is still very smooth.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Seeing as this is going to be for use in 2011
And seeing as you want to benchmark the ability to handle thenewest or most demanding titles
How about
Duke Nukem Forever?
Always bench on Duke

Simulate a "family" PC scenario.
Pick an ISP; I would suggest Comcast. Load the test system with all of the ISP's default pooh-ware, including security, any toolbars, diagnostics, whatever. Install WeatherBug. Add at least one IM client, MSN Messenger and/or Yahoo. Load Adobe Acrobat and Flash, and Java. Open up an email client such as Outlook Express, Outlook, or Thunderbird.
Now test. The questions being asked are, "How competent a CPU should Daddy buy for the family, assuming that Junior wants to play games, and isn't allowed to configure the PC just for that," and "what games CAN a typical 'family PC' handle reasonably well?"

G

First off, I'd love to see itunes dropped altogether, but since there's an unfortunate number of people who use it as their primary media program anyways, let's see something alongside it, for those of us who haven't touched itunes save for on a mac.
I propose Cdex as an compliment/alternative to itunes' ripping, it works, it doesn't seem to come with any unnessiciary fluff, and isn't as much of a hog as itunes can be, at least in my findings.

Secondly, glad as I am to see the CS5 being benchmarked there, I can't help but wonder "How?"
Is it some kind of a synthetic benchmark, a script pieced together doing some optimized voodoo?
Or will it be a real-world benchmark, such as loading up a consistent (relative to benchmarking each CPU) set of 60-80 photos to be stitched into a panorama, a process that I've seen manages to nicely utilize a CPU, as well as chewing heavily into the RAM. Perhaps it'll be something else, rendering some 3D image and applying some effects, etc. Either way, if the benchmark suit will be downloadable to THG readers, I'd expect the relevant scripts and files required to come with it.

Relatedly, not everybody will have CS5, so it'd also be nice to see a freely available alternative to CS5 benchmarked. I don't use it personally (of late), and there'll likely be a horrible argument over it, but the Gimp is apparently pretty flexible, and one I do use called Hugin manages to do pretty well for costing nothing but a bit of time adding a DLL to it's bin folder.

On my third note, I'll second the statements that Blender should be tossed in beside/instead of Autodesk, I mean, the latter is nice *if* you have it, but let's face it. Most anyone reading THG reviews to build a custom PC at home for 3D modelling is more likely using whatever they can get for free. I might also like to see some kind of test involving media playback with ridiculously high res video, such as the 4K resolution youtube stuff (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BQmjYlsV6A for an example, and set quality to 'original'). The kind of thing that brings a GPU accelerated q6600 running the latest version of flash in chrome to it's knees and stutters like a low-res GIF loading over dial-up. Anything worth using these days can do 1080p playback, but clearly, there's higher resolution stuff out there, and I won't be surprised to see more pop up.

To finish up this essay of a comment, I'll decide I'm just fine with the use of both winrar and 7-zip, indifferent about the synthetic benchmarks and games are games, my GPU will always be insufficient for the ones I'm playing as far as I'm concerned.
Two thousand six hundred and sixty nine characters later

unbellum

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
One thing that is VERY important to me, and I am sure would be important to a few of the other readers, is how the CPUs stand up against a reasonably large software project at compile time. Newer compilers and IDEs are reasonably multi-threaded, and it would be worthwhile to know which CPU increases productivity. If I can save 2-4 hours a week just in compile times, the CPU has purchased itself in the first two weeks.

Additionally, this would also be interesting from an SSD/HDD benchmark standpoint (huge amounts of reads and writes).

[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]I would like to see if processors really bottleneck SLI/Crossfire.[/citation]
Past articles have shown that they do. I'm at work, so time is limited, but they should be pretty easy to find. A recent article on the Athlon II X3 found it too weak for a pair of cards even though it did pretty well with just one.

G

Since most people buy machines intending them to last a few years, then DirectX 11 and OpenCL need to be included

darienkd

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Definitely ArchiCAD (or AutoCAD).
Adobe Lightroom, through i suppose it would show similar results like Photoshop, or am I wrong?

As a follow-on to what games can a "family" PC run, if it is at all relevant, go ahead and test casual games, e.g. Zynga (e.g. F____ville, _____ Wars, etc.). Are any of them CPU-dependent?

Status
Not open for further replies.