Question Tool to rebuild partition information

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello, I have a very problematic drive over here. Whenever I open it in GPARTED it gives me 'bad block checksum' errors and it keeps asking to rebuild my journal (whatever that is) but despite those errors I am still able to work with the drive in gparted and edit partitions as I please. The drive is not bad because it's new and I checked SMART information as well as performing a block scan just in case; it all came out good.

But here is the thing, although Windows and Linux reads the drive just fine, my EFI bootloader which is called Clover crashes with a blackscreen as soon as I booted, after investigation I figured out it was because of that drive so all those gparted errors and Clover crashing must indicate some kind of bad partition information that maybe have incorrectly defined partitions? I am not really familiar with how that information is structured and how it works in general. The drive partitions were all accidentally erased and then recovered by a tool called DiskGenious, I suspect that tool may of have build the partitions badly or incorrectly

I know tools like that exist but I need one that can also work with hfs+ and Linux partitions, no Windows partitions are present on that drive except a FAT32 one, which I can manually rebuild if necessary. The drive itself has a GUID partition table

Thank you!

darthvader30

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Assuming that you are running Mac on that drive(HFS+), I would recommend using MAC's disk utility. I recently partitioned my HDD using Disk utility and it worked perfectly.

In Disk Utility>View>Show all devices>select your drive(the root)> partition

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The easiest way was to format the entire thing and start from scratch. It sucks really but it was the most reassuring way that my partition table would be built properly. The above solutions could of have worked but I am not sure, it was quite a quirky drive that Linux really hated (and macOS's disk utility didn't want to touch it!)