[SOLVED] Top air fans - one in front of the cpu cooler, one after - advice?

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
So I have an Aerocool 800 case, my 2 front fans are intakes (140mm and 120mm) and the top 2 and rear are exhaust. I have a gammaxx 400 tower cooler, and its just occured to me that the top case fan in front of my CPU cooler may be extracting cool air from the front before it even gets to the CPU cooler. I am also likely to have negative pressure with this configuration.

Is it unwise to say, have the top fan in front of the cpu cooler be an intake and have the other rear top fan be exhaust?

Aerocool 800
gammaxx 400
amd fx 8370
GTX 1060 6gb
16gb ram
biostar ta970 plus

Solution
That's not really what I'm asking about but thanks for the contribution
But it IS what you are asking. "Does my exhaust fan steal cold air from my CPU cooler?" The easiest test is to turn it off by unplugging it. No screwdriver required. If your temps improve, you can make it permanent.
Same thing with the one after. TESTING is the best approach.
After you test your current config, you could swap the front fan to an intake and test agin.
Having your fans as intake in front and exhaust after just sets up a loop of increasingly warm air.

kanewolf

Titan
So I have an Aerocool 800 case, my 2 front fans are intakes (140mm and 120mm) and the top 2 and rear are exhaust. I have a gammaxx 400 tower cooler, and its just occured to me that the top case fan in front of my CPU cooler may be extracting cool air from the front before it even gets to the CPU cooler. I am also likely to have negative pressure with this configuration.

Is it unwise to say, have the top fan in front of the cpu cooler be an intake and have the other rear top fan be exhaust?

Aerocool 800
gammaxx 400
amd fx 8370
GTX 1060 6gb
16gb ram
biostar ta970 plus
Just turn off the top fans and see if it makes a difference.

dimtodim

Reputable

Aerocool 800
gammaxx 400
amd fx 8370
GTX 1060 6gb
16gb ram
biostar ta970 plus
u will get best scenario...front fans input air and back and top push out air...

kanewolf

Titan
That's not really what I'm asking about but thanks for the contribution
But it IS what you are asking. "Does my exhaust fan steal cold air from my CPU cooler?" The easiest test is to turn it off by unplugging it. No screwdriver required. If your temps improve, you can make it permanent.
After you test your current config, you could swap the front fan to an intake and test agin.
Having your fans as intake in front and exhaust after just sets up a loop of increasingly warm air.

Solution

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I have a tower cooler in a meshify C case. So similar shape to your setup.

I recently added an AF14 as intake in the top/front, and another AF14 as front panel/mid. Adding both at the same time reduced temps by around 1.5C when under 100% load, with fans set to low RPMs.

I haven't had a chance to test whether or not I'll get better performance if I turn off the top/front intake fan.

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020

Your previous phrasing threw me a little there, but I was trying to get conceptual advice specifically about whether this configuration would be beneficial. Thank you for addressing that directly. I will test with the top front fan off and see how that goes!