Toshiba Preps Two New Client NVMe SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
"SATA Express is dead in the water for many reason" - ... and lo, everyone rejoiced!

Now, if we can just get some Z170 boards that ditch the SATA Express connectors totally and give us more M.2 x 4 and/or USB 3.1 Type-A/C. Even an onboard U.2 connector would be nice.

Also, this gave me a laugh - "...the OCZ Storage Solutions acquisition gave Toshiba a recognizable public face and instant credibility with end users..."

Seems to me that most of the ones who recognize the name "OCZ" would NOT give "instant credibility" to Toshiba. More like "recognizably tarnished public face" and "instant skepticism"! :)

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Also, this gave me a laugh - "...the OCZ Storage Solutions acquisition gave Toshiba a recognizable public face and instant credibility with end users..."

Seems to me that most of the ones who recognize the name "OCZ" would NOT give "instant credibility" to Toshiba. More like "recognizably tarnished public face" and "instant skepticism"! :)

I see it as a tradeoff with an edge towards benefit. Before buying OCZ, Toshiba was "who? IDK, let's wait until they build a proper reputation for years.", but after, they gained all of OCZ's sales channels, their OEM/Business reputation, and finally many many consumer fans who were ready to forgive OCZ given an extensive overhaul. Yeah, they alienated lots of people as well (after all, OCZ went bankrupt for a very good reason), but I think the benefits outweigh the cost.

I see it as a tradeoff with an edge towards benefit. Before buying OCZ, Toshiba was "who? IDK, let's wait until they build a proper reputation for years.", but after, they gained all of OCZ's sales channels, their OEM/Business reputation, and finally many many consumer fans who were ready to forgive OCZ given an extensive overhaul. Yeah, they alienated lots of people as well (after all, OCZ went bankrupt for a very good reason), but I think the benefits outweigh the cost.

Well, from the corporate side, I recognize Toshiba storage as being a storage provider for a number of OEMs. So they weren't unknown, unless you think of a retail, consumer point of view only. Even then, they had more name exposure from their laptops, so you could easily argue they have more positive mindshare than the name "OCZ."

Eric Swenson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
"SATA Express is dead in the water for many reason" - ... and lo, everyone rejoiced!

Now, if we can just get some Z170 boards that ditch the SATA Express connectors totally and give us more M.2 x 4 and/or USB 3.1 Type-A/C. Even an onboard U.2 connector would be nice.

Eric Swenson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Drats, no edit button! =-) 2nd try.

Why?? I'm totally fine with using M.2 for a small boot drive for the OS and applications, but I don't *want* a large, hot M.2 drive sitting on my motherboard, sandwiched between hot video cards.

Give me SATA Express, so I can move that hot, higher-capacity drive off the MB and put it elsewhere in my case. 2x or more of Sata3 perf is good enough for most cases right now. That's what drive sleds and cages are for. If I wanted a laptop, I'd buy one!

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

But then you ignore the mindset of the pseudo-enthusiats, who make up a big part of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.