Question Toshiba Satellite Stuck On ‘RTC Battery Low’

Sep 24, 2019
Hi,
I’ve looked everywhere for some info on my problem but I can’t really find any mention of this specifically.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D-A that was having an issue with a corrupt Windows 10 so long story short the hard drive was wiped and it wasn’t booting an installer USB (probably secure boot or something simple). I was changing some settings in the bios and like an idiot I decided that while I’m unable to boot into an OS I’ll help myself out and enable fast boot for absolutely no reason at all.

Of course it still couldn’t find any bootable drive but no worries, I’ll just boot into bios again. That’s when I realized I did a stupid and I can’t boot into bios cause I enabled fast boot. No combination of keys were working including holding down the normal one but before turning on the laptop.

I decided I’ll remove the RTC battery with the laptop battery removed and hold the power button in hopes that’ll reset the bios.

Well now when it turns on the screen shows:
** RTC battery is low **
Press [F2] key to set Date/Time.

The problem is F2 doesn’t do diddly squat. No key does. I plug in an external keyboard and it’s backlight lights up for half a second then turns back off and it doesn’t work either. The laptop keyboard was working fine and the external one is fine too.
I’ve even replaced the RTC battery with a brand new one and given the laptop time to charge to full.
I believe I replaced the hard drive with one that already has windows 10 installed on it but still can’t get past the battery warning.
The computer turns off after about a minute of showing it.

I’m completely stumped and google hasn’t been of help. If anyone is familiar with this or has some idea please share cause I’m out of them and I really don’t wanna toss it.

Cheers,
Lou

Last edited:
Reactions: mkmissedchip

emilward85

Honorable
May 3, 2017
Well I would first boot back into BIOS and disable fastboot. Toshiba's usually require you to hold Esc or F2 while the laptop is powered off. Then while still holding that key, turn on the system. I know you said the RTC battery is new but I would still take a multimeter to it and check the voltage. Those things can sit on shelf for years before they actually get sold. Assuming the battery is fine, I would drop back into BIOS and try manually setting the date and time. But if you're still getting the RTC Low error then it sounds like the battery you put in is low. So I would definitely double check it's voltage with a multimeter

Oct 28, 2019
Hi,
I’ve looked everywhere for some info on my problem but I can’t really find any mention of this specifically.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D-A that was having an issue with a corrupt Windows 10 so long story short the hard drive was wiped and it wasn’t booting an installer USB (probably secure boot or something simple). I was changing some settings in the bios and like an idiot I decided that while I’m unable to boot into an OS I’ll help myself out and enable fast boot for absolutely no reason at all.

Of course it still couldn’t find any bootable drive but no worries, I’ll just boot into bios again. That’s when I realized I did a stupid and I can’t boot into bios cause I enabled fast boot. No combination of keys were working including holding down the normal one but before turning on the laptop.

I decided I’ll remove the RTC battery with the laptop battery removed and hold the power button in hopes that’ll reset the bios.

Well now when it turns on the screen shows:

The problem is F2 doesn’t do diddly squat. No key does. I plug in an external keyboard and it’s backlight lights up for half a second then turns back off and it doesn’t work either. The laptop keyboard was working fine and the external one is fine too.
I’ve even replaced the RTC battery with a brand new one and given the laptop time to charge to full.
I believe I replaced the hard drive with one that already has windows 10 installed on it but still can’t get past the battery warning.
The computer turns off after about a minute of showing it.

I’m completely stumped and google hasn’t been of help. If anyone is familiar with this or has some idea please share cause I’m out of them and I really don’t wanna toss it.

Cheers,
Lou
Hi....
i have exactlu same problem like u. help me if you solve this problem

Anyone else than him commenting here some Toshiba Satellite models DO NOT have RTC battery at all, so in that case you need to replace main battery. It depends on the model, some of them have rtc battery with soldered + and - pin, some have connector and some have clip.

For OP who:s model does have rtc battery i would suggest getting ch341a programmer and flashing bios chip, since this might suggest bios corruption.

Jul 27, 2021
Hi, all. I have the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite U940-10M. I have tried everything. RTC battery reads 3.27v, soldered on the board (Replaced). BIOS re-flashed to couple of different images with CH341A. Keyboard was working 100% before. At this stage I am just on the verge to smash this against the ground and go out and buy a new one. It will not be a Toshiba this time. Any other suggestions before I actually destroy it?

Last edited: