Toshiba Wakes Up, Announces 8 TB X300 Desktop HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Still wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole. I have had too many experiences with Toshiba drives goes bad. In fact, every single Toshiba drive I have had has gone bad within 6 months, including all the replacement drives, 24 in total. (No, not my idea to buy them. Dell sent me the parts when my company ordered them without designating a brand. These were server drives, too.) I am not touching another Toshiba hard drive voluntarily.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Eh it kinda does. I game mostly off 2x7200 rpm drives in a mirrored array.

Moving game data back and forth between an SSD and a large hard drive is rather annoying. Just not worth the hassle, for the minor benefit to games. To put my game library on an SSD would cost a lot of $s.

Games are a lot of sequential reads. And a mechanical hard drive isnt bad at that.

antisocial83

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Most of us use a secondary spinning disk for that purpose. But this doesn't mean its a "high performance gaming" hard drive. Capacity does not equal performance. So what makes this high-performance in a sea of cheap 7200 rpm disks?

Nashten

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Still wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole. I have had too many experiences with Toshiba drives goes bad. In fact, every single Toshiba drive I have had has gone bad within 6 months, including all the replacement drives, 24 in total. (No, not my idea to buy them. Dell sent me the parts when my company ordered them without designating a brand. These were server drives, too.) I am not touching another Toshiba hard drive voluntarily.

When I worked as a computer tech (before becoming a baker...), I noticed that every Toshiba HDD that came through the shop was failing in one way or another. That was hundreds of drives. Even the few SSDs in ultrabooks from Toshiba were either dead altogether or just barely alive.

Nashten

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

When I worked as a computer tech (before becoming a baker...), I noticed that every Toshiba HDD that came through the shop was failing in one way or another. That was hundreds of drives. Even the few SSDs in ultrabooks from Toshiba were either dead altogether or just barely alive.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
2 year warranty for a $350+ drive? no thanks. We need to see 5 year warranty on drives this expensive. I have to assume it will fail and i will have to buy a replacement in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.