Question total RAM bandwidth must be same to CPU max memory bandwidth for i7 4930k?

Jan 21, 2020
Hi guys. Im first time at english forum. My english is bad and rude. Sry for that. Im using translator alot.
Im bad at PC as well, sry if my question sounds stupid :)
Question:
My i7 4930k have 59.7 GB/s max memory bandwidth, my total RAM bandwidth ~25Gbs. Could this be a problem?
In most of the games a have performance problems. Low fps(sometimes lags) with low gpu and cpu usage and temp.
Specs:
Videocard - asus strix gtx 980 ti directcu iii.
CPU - i7 4930k - max memory bandwidth 59.7 GB/s. Not overclocked.
RAM - 16Gb (2x8Gb) 2 channel Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 - 1600 МГц - bandwidth 12800 MB/s for 1 stick and ~25Gbs total.
Motherboard - ASUS P9X79 PRO.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Slightly, but not so much for games.

59.7 GB/s is simply quad channel memory with 1866Mhz memory in place.

8 * 1866 = 14928 * 4 = 59,712 MB/s or 59.7 GB/s

You are running dual channel, so missing out on a major feature of your CPU/Board. And only running 1600Mhz memory.

Both those are theoretical numbers, basically unreachable by any given application. Chances of there being a task that can utilize all the bandwidth simultaneously is pretty low, some benchmarks might do it.

For 4th generation hardware, 1600Mhz was quite typical. And you have more then enough for games.

As for your lags in performance. Games, settings, and resolution. Can't really say much without that.

Reactions: damager9408
Jan 21, 2020
As for your lags in performance. Games, settings, and resolution. Can't really say much without that.
Ty for answer.
I can do any benchmarks or game tests if its helps, just ask what you need to know.
This old problem, during this time I reinstalled windows 2-3 times, drivers checked, motherboard slots for gpu and ram right. Widnows and bios power mods set to max performance.

Games: Borderlands Pre sequel, 2 and 3, 7 days to die, Remnant from the ashes. Maybe i have lower fps in other games too but if fps higher than 60 i just dont give attention.
I can describe in detail my Borderlands 2 performance.
Settings:
all Max.
1080p.
NVidia PhysX low.
Then i shoot i get ~42fps, then i dont shoot i get ~60fps
Msi afterburner stats up left cornern.
With all low settings i get ~52 fps with shooting. My friend with 1660 ti with same settings and same location and position get ~80 fps with shooting. Big question for me, why fps so low with ~20% cpu and gpu usage
My screenshots:
Max settings PhysX low
MqG3La.png

Low settings PhysX low
tS8JK9.jpg

My friend with gtx 1660 ti and 9600k 2x8Gb 2400 ram and low settings 1080p PhysX low:
pG1Ohy.png

Heaven Benchmark looks fine? But he just dont need much from CPU.
8D9gUL.png

lTjRfy.png

funny note: my friend have lower score and fps in heaven benchmark but much higher fps in games with his 1660 ti. My pc good at bench mark and bad in games? In borderlands 2 his lowest fps was ~70 and my ~40 :D How it possible?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well a 1660Ti comes very close to the performance of a 980Ti, but it has faster memory. But that wouldn't explain slow downs like that. Now he does have a whole lot of CPU IPC on you, so higher average FPS is to be expected with his system.

As always, monitor CPU and GPU temperature and clock speeds while gaming.

Might also be a good idea to check out your voltage levels under load. How old is the PSU and what model? If it has aged enough, it might not be delivering enough power to the system under a load, and that is why you are seeing low percent usage numbers.

With Borderlands, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of CPU usage in general. Unreal 3 engine is pretty single threaded as I recall.

Reactions: damager9408
Jan 21, 2020
Corsair AX860i. - i have 2x SSD 1x HDD and Sound card Creative Sound Blaster. 2x monitors both 1080p 60Hz and 144Hz. I tried to turn off 2nd monitor while gaming, but its seems dose nothing.