[SOLVED] Touch pad stops working after a while, fixed by reboots temporarily

Aug 1, 2019
Hi there. I have an MSI GF62 with an annoying touchpad problem that I was wondering if anyone had any advice for. For a while it's being doing this thing where it'll work fine after a reboot (could be 10 mins or a few hours, but usually less than 30 mins) but then become laggy and freeze. Sometimes given time it'll unfreeze, but not always. If I attach an external mouse it works fine. It doesn't seem to freeze up because there's high CPU useage. When the touchpad is working, it functions perfectly.

I've updated the driver. Updated windows. Checked the touchpad status (says working ok even when frozen.) Tried turning the touchpad on and off with the keyboard. Run the trouble shooter (says nothing wrong.)

I called MSI but they were pretty unhelpful. (Basically they couldn't give advice on this over the phone and to send the computer into them but that's a real pain since it means I'll be without a computer for weeks and have to do a complete wipe and re-install of everything when I get it back.)

Since its working on a reboot, does that mean it could be a software rather than hardware problem and any suggestions on anything else I could do before sending it in to MSI?

Edit: Just to be clear, the computer itself is never frozen, only the touchpad.

Solution
(I'm not an expert) the root of the problem could be almost everything and anything, from the touchpad itself to software or other components in your laptop.

What i would do is this:
#1: Try running linux and see how it behaves
# 2: try windows from another HDD if you have the possibility ( BE CAREFUL !! This might void your warranty, if you have to open, and there's a seal) Depends on model and manufacturer) also, it can be a thumb drive too, if u don't want to reinstall Windows on your primary hard drive.
#3: try running windows in safe mode, or disable anything else when windows boots at start, but keep only the vital parts of windows for it to be able to run, you can easily do this by pressing and holding down on keyboard: start...

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
(I'm not an expert) the root of the problem could be almost everything and anything, from the touchpad itself to software or other components in your laptop.

What i would do is this:
#1: Try running linux and see how it behaves
# 2: try windows from another HDD if you have the possibility ( BE CAREFUL !! This might void your warranty, if you have to open, and there's a seal) Depends on model and manufacturer) also, it can be a thumb drive too, if u don't want to reinstall Windows on your primary hard drive.
#3: try running windows in safe mode, or disable anything else when windows boots at start, but keep only the vital parts of windows for it to be able to run, you can easily do this by pressing and holding down on keyboard: start button and R button/letter, type in > msconfig and at GENERAL TAB, select Diagnostic startupm hit apply and exit restart.

#4 ~ Delete/uninstall touchpad driver. (if you updated your driver with the ones provied by MSI try updating it via a third party software, like "Driver Booster". IF you've updated it via that software shown above, try updating it via MSI.) They reason behind this is a little complicated, i can't explain really why, but i tried this method in different situations on diff systems, and guess what.. the drivers from the manufacturers were not working for unknown reasons for me, i used other sources and fixed the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Solution