[SOLVED] TP-Link deco mesh m4 - does it violate my privacy?

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I was told that this product will solve my problem with not enough WiFi coverage throughout the house. But now when I read some reviews on Amazon people noted how the terms of user agreement say that tp-link will have access to your personal information and that it shares your information in a way that completely violates your privacy.
Is someone familiar with the product and can confirm, deny or explain if it’s safe?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I always laugh when I see tplink site for this product.

They show some guy walking up the stairs looking at his phone. What they don't show is the same idiot so engrossed in his phone that he falls down the stairs and breaks his neck. People already walk out into traffic with their cell phones. What could possibly be so important that you can not wait 5 seconds until you get to the other room to watch your phone.

For these units to work properly it takes very careful placement. You can't just stick boxes in every room and it magically work.

Not sure what data they could get. You aren't going to put your name or anything into the router configuration.

Lets say they have some backdoor software that lets them...
I always laugh when I see tplink site for this product.

They show some guy walking up the stairs looking at his phone. What they don't show is the same idiot so engrossed in his phone that he falls down the stairs and breaks his neck. People already walk out into traffic with their cell phones. What could possibly be so important that you can not wait 5 seconds until you get to the other room to watch your phone.

For these units to work properly it takes very careful placement. You can't just stick boxes in every room and it magically work.

Not sure what data they could get. You aren't going to put your name or anything into the router configuration.

Lets say they have some backdoor software that lets them snoop on your traffic with the router. You must already assume someone is snooping on your traffic once it gets to the internet. Many ISP ...like att... already admit they do it. This is why almost everything is encrypted with HTTPS. Nobody between your PC and the end server can see what you are actually doing. All the can tell is your are running what looks like web traffic to some ip address. In fact the so called parental controls on this device are pretty much worthless for the same reason. You might be able to control what hours of the day a device can use the network but since all traffic is encrypted the parental controls can't actually filter web sites.

The one tiny hole is related to DNS. If you want to encrypt that also change your DNS server to 1.1.1.1, Many browsers like chrome will automatically now use encrypted DNS. If you use 8.8.8.8 I think you still must manually turn on the encrypted dns feature.

But none of this is really personal infomation. Maybe they could get your wifi ssid and password but if they are actually doing that they will quickly be out of business because of the backlash from consumers if that data was ever compromised. It would have no value to them only risk so they would not even think to collect it.

Solution