Question TP-Link DES1024d network switch not receiving internet connection ?

kidlatwarfreak

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Good day,

I have two TP-Link 1024d network switches located in the same office, connected to each other. One of the switches is connected to my Internet router which is in another room. My problem is that the second switch (the one not connected to the router) does not have internet connection. I have tried using crossover and straight-through cables to connect the two switches but to no avail. If I try to connect the second switch to the router, it does have Internet. However, I can only run a single cable from the router to the main office where the two switches are located. Which is why I just daisy-chained the two switches.

Please help.

It should not matter to daisy chain switches. The only concern would to be if there was a lot of traffic between devices on the different switches they could exceed the 1gbit capacity.

You should never use cross over cables any more. Gigabit ports many times get confused by a cross over cable and drop to 100mbps. Almost all modern equipment support MDI/MDIX.

What I would try is a very short cable with the 2 switches in the same room just to see if the ports light up and everything functions.

The cable between the 2 rooms is most suspect especially if you made the cable yourself. Verify that cable you are using is actually ethernet cable, there is lots of fake cable being sold. The cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).
If you can I would try the long cable with the switches in the same room,to see it works the same as when you have a short cable.

The addition thing that I hate is the so called green energy garbage they put on these units to sell to gullible people. A switch uses extremely little power and saving the 10-20% is almost nothing. In this case I don't think you can disable this feature, if you can I would disable it.
The problem is many times these devices do not correctly detect the cable length and do not provide enough power on longer cables. This is made even worse if you have fake cables or if you have a marginal cable if for example a end is not well made.

Reactions: kidlatwarfreak

kidlatwarfreak

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
It should not matter to daisy chain switches. The only concern would to be if there was a lot of traffic between devices on the different switches they could exceed the 1gbit capacity.

You should never use cross over cables any more. Gigabit ports many times get confused by a cross over cable and drop to 100mbps. Almost all modern equipment support MDI/MDIX.

What I would try is a very short cable with the 2 switches in the same room just to see if the ports light up and everything functions.

The cable between the 2 rooms is most suspect especially if you made the cable yourself. Verify that cable you are using is actually ethernet cable, there is lots of fake cable being sold. The cable must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).
If you can I would try the long cable with the switches in the same room,to see it works the same as when you have a short cable.

The addition thing that I hate is the so called green energy garbage they put on these units to sell to gullible people. A switch uses extremely little power and saving the 10-20% is almost nothing. In this case I don't think you can disable this feature, if you can I would disable it.
The problem is many times these devices do not correctly detect the cable length and do not provide enough power on longer cables. This is made even worse if you have fake cables or if you have a marginal cable if for example a end is not well made.

Thanks for the advice.

Anyways, I have solved the problem by just connecting a 10/100 router to my ISP router/modem and have one of the switches connect to this new router. It really hurts the Internet speed but most of our work does not really require heavy Internet usage since it is just sending data to a Firebase database. I noticed that the switches are not gigabit switches but rather just 10/100. I'm not really sure what happened, but everything works fine now.