Question Tp-link JetStream switch - no lan, switch and router unreachable

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I have replaced older 'dumb' Tp-Link switch SF1016DS with a smart JetSteam switch TL-SG2016P, same place, power socket, devices, patch cables etc...
However the LAN seems to be completely dead: neither the switch nor router (Asus DSL N16) is ping-able(general failure) from the test client (Windows 10 PC), which displays 'Unplugged cable' on the LAN adapter and every few seconds it flickers to 'Identifying...' only to revert back to 'Unplugged cable' 0.5s later. On the switch, Power led is on and all status leds by plugged cables are also on.
I have tried restarting every device (switch, router and PC), I have also tried to patch all back to the old switch (which worked) and back (still no connection from anywhere to anywhere).
Anything I can try/check to troubleshoot?

kanewolf

Titan
I have replaced older 'dumb' Tp-Link switch SF1016DS with a smart JetSteam switch TL-SG2016P, same place, power socket, devices, patch cables etc...
However the LAN seems to be completely dead: neither the switch nor router (Asus DSL N16) is ping-able(general failure) from the test client (Windows 10 PC), which displays 'Unplugged cable' on the LAN adapter and every few seconds it flickers to 'Identifying...' only to revert back to 'Unplugged cable' 0.5s later. On the switch, Power led is on and all status leds by plugged cables are also on.
I have tried restarting every device (switch, router and PC), I have also tried to patch all back to the old switch (which worked) and back (still no connection from anywhere to anywhere).
Anything I can try/check to troubleshoot?
Was this a factory new switch or a used switch?

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Resolved the issue: works with a new patch cable.
Perpahs it was because the old one was (professionally!) custom cut while the new one is a precut one. Or perhaps the old switch was 10/100 with 5E cable while the new one is 1 gig + CAT6? Even more curiously, replugged the old switch with the 'faultly' old cable and it did work again. Not sure what the issue was but most importantly it works.