Transfer hdd to a new pc

gahwahfoogi

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I bought a mainstream pc at bestbuy about 2 years ago and I got a new computer without a hard drive or os on ebay and I was wondering if I can move my hard drive on the old pc to my new pc.

niteviper

Honorable
May 1, 2012
you can but it wont work 100% properly as the installed boot - reg - files - flags ect are all based on the old systems hardware ect..

Best to move the HDD, create a partition on it, move all files you want to keep onto the partion, format n reinstall windows on the the other partion, transfer your kept files back and delete the created partition to make it 100% healthy and setup for your new hardware

USAFRet

Titan
2 considerations - operation and licensing

1. Operation: It probably won't boot. So a full reinstall will be needed

2. Licensing: That OS is almost certainly an OEM license, and as such is licensed to that original motherboard. Using that license with a different motherboard is completely at the discretion of Microsoft.

LogicalCaveman

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
They're saying it's not cost effective to use the old HDD (however much trouble you would have to go through to get to work anyways is not worth it) and put the old computer to waste. The best solution, as brilliantly proposed by USAFRet, is to take your old computer and sell it online. Then you use the money from that to buy a new (maybe even better) HDD and OS for your new computer and even have some money left over for whatever.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm in the process of fixing/refurbishing a bunch of family members laptops.
Even between almost identical Compaq laptops...moving the drive (Windows 7) did not work.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The greater the difference in hardware, the less likely it will work.

Clean install in your new hardware is the recommended way forward.

gahwahfoogi

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I have windows 8 on it and I will be using the same brand of cpu ( amd ) But the problem is that Im on a tight budget of 280 dollars and I cant sell my pc because its really bad (cpu sucks a$$). If I restore my drive and leave it on factory settings than install it to my new pc will it work?

USAFRet

Titan

Post it on craigslist for $150-$200. Someone will be along to take it.
That is more than enough for a new OS and HDD.

LogicalCaveman

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Selling it is really easy bro. Just turn on the computer it's connected to, factory reset the hard drive, carefully remove the hard drive and package it, then wait until someone buys it from you to send it to their house via UPS or Fedex or whatever? It's not hard.

USAFRet

Titan

Why remove the HDD? I was suggesting selling the entire BestBuy PC, HDD and OS included.