Question Home Media

Offlinex

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
I set up a simple external hard drive containing videos and pictures connected to my Wi-Fi router's (Linksys) usb. I can access the videos and pictures through my two tv's (LG and TCL) but I can't seem to figure out how to access it through my phone, do I need a certain app on the phone (its an google pixel 4a)?

Also I can find the file on my pc and it comes up with a bare bones display of whats on the drive like 30 videos and 150 pictures but I cant access them, except through windows media player (yuck) does vlc work?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Last edited:

js2

Jul 16, 2024
I set up a simple external hard drive containing videos and pictures connected to my Wi-Fi router's (Linksys) usb. I can access the videos and pictures through my two tv's (LG and TCL) but I can't seem to figure out how to access it through my phone, do I need a certain app on the phone (its an google pixel 4a)?

Also I can find the file on my pc and it comes up with a bare bones display of whats on the drive like 30 videos and 150 pictures but I cant access them, except through windows media player (yuck) does vlc work?
Never go the simple route, its often insecure. Cisco own Linksys, so you can use their media hub server software if you don't want to use Plex. The Linksys app should do the trick with your phone.

But it's best to not just "turn on everything" and share everything to everyone on the network.