[SOLVED] transferring windows 10 from old PC build to new

brettapuss

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hi so im making a new PC and im just wondering how i can safely transfer all my old SSD's from the old build to the new one. for the most part i can wipe all the SSD's but the one im most concerned about is the OS drive. whats the official procedure for resetting windows etc back to default wiping all the drives and putting it in my new pc while still keeping windows 10 safely on my SSD

Solution
its okay i think i figured it out, correct me if im wrong here. so my windows 10 is activated and linked to my microsoft account... so i could format my ssd's all of them, then get a flashdrive create a "windows 10 installation media tool" on the flashdrive, then build my new PC, boot off the flash drive, install windows like normal, then simply by logging into my microsoft accound at the end of installation should activate my windows
Yes.

It is normally best to do a fresh full reinstall if upgrading mainboard, CPU, RAM, etc...(i.e., not keeping/reusing your OS installation on the SSD)

Although some may be successful with the classic 'change everything, and just reboot with new hardware, and hope for the best' after installing chipset drivers, activation can become an issue, as technically unless using your own retail version, an OEM/prebuilt version dies with the system, and MS is pretty good about identifying OEM/prebuilt versions trying to come up on new hardware, and then disallowing activation.

Worst case, the option of running fresh install but not yet MS-activated is present if you get into a vicious loop.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi so im making a new PC and im just wondering how i can safely transfer all my old SSD's from the old build to the new one. for the most part i can wipe all the SSD's but the one im most concerned about is the OS drive. whats the official procedure for resetting windows etc back to default wiping all the drives and putting it in my new pc while still keeping windows 10 safely on my SSD
For all new hardware, a full wipe and reinstall of the OS drive is stongly recommended.
Of COURSE, there will be someone who chimes in here and says "Ah, just plug it in and power up. Windows will figure it out, and you'll be on your way."

Yeah...that doesn't always work.
Win 10 is better than previous versions, but by no means 100% guaranteed to do that.

brettapuss

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
so the problem i have is i bought windows 7 on a disk with a key for my first pc. then i upgraded to windows 10 when it was released. since then ive done some upgrades here and there but now im doing an entirely new build so my copy of windows is on my SSD. so can i not just reset windows 10 back to its setup phase then unplug that ssd then put it into the new pc then set it as my boot drive?? or am i gonna have to go out and buy a brand new version of windows 10 on a memory stick??

USAFRet

Titan
so the problem i have is i bought windows 7 on a disk with a key for my first pc. then i upgraded to windows 10 when it was released. since then ive done some upgrades here and there but now im doing an entirely new build so my copy of windows is on my SSD. so can i not just reset windows 10 back to its setup phase then unplug that ssd then put it into the new pc then set it as my boot drive?? or am i gonna have to go out and buy a brand new version of windows 10 on a memory stick??
Operation and licensing.
2 different things. And the original Win 7 thing is null and voind.

See my link above for the activation part.

For the operation - actually booting up - that is a whole different thing.
With all new hardware, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

For new hardware, a fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.

brettapuss

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
its okay i think i figured it out, correct me if im wrong here. so my windows 10 is activated and linked to my microsoft account... so i could format my ssd's all of them, then get a flashdrive create a "windows 10 installation media tool" on the flashdrive, then build my new PC, boot off the flash drive, install windows like normal, then simply by logging into my microsoft accound at the end of installation should activate my windows

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.

Solution

brettapuss

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, but what does that have to do with the new install in the new hardware?

You want only ONE drive connected during the initial boot up and install.
Only one.
sorry im tired so and im just getting a little stressed out over all this. im just wondering if theres a way to format my ssd's on the new build before i go ahead with the installation of windows

USAFRet

Titan
sorry im tired so and im just getting a little stressed out over all this. im just wondering if theres a way to format my ssd's on the new build before i go ahead with the installation of windows
Yes. During the windows install.

Have only the one drive connected.
Boot from your Win 10 USB.
When it asks where, select Custom
Delete all existing partitions, and continue on.

Later, connect any other drives and do with them what you need.