Tri monitor problems

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Asked this question the other day but that was with a different GPU. Basically I'm trying to connect a third monitor to my system for menial things like movies and tv shows but it won't let me. My computer recognizes that the display is there but wont let me extend the desktop to it nor does it output anything.

This is from the manufacturers website.

supports up to 3 display monitor(s) without DisplayPort
5 x Maximum Display Monitor(s) support
To support 3rd monitor without DisplayPort cable connected, 2 of the 3 monitors should be the same model with DVI ports connected. The driver version should be v13.12 or above.

my 2 primary monitors are 2 dell u2412m's connected via DVI. I'm trying to add a third connected VIA hdmi. My drivers are up to date as well.

Didn't know if this fell under graphics or some other category so I put it here, thanks in advance.

The gpu is a SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 280X if it matters any.

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I've only been trying windows display properties, I'll try through amd's control panel now.

Amd's ccc detects all 3 displays but in order to extend the desktop to the one in question it says I have to disable one of my current displays. When on the manufacturers website clearly states 3 monitors is possible without a display port

This is what I get in amd's ccc

http://i.imgur.com/D2pKLWw.png

This is what I get when I try to go through windows display settings

http://i.imgur.com/WCc77Cr.png

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Looks like the "supports up to 3 display monitor(s) without DisplayPort" bit is not a camability of standard AMD graphics cards. Sapphire has created a unique technology that they call "FleX Eyefinity" and have enabled on certain cards. Here is a link to their "FleX Eyefinity" homepage: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&lid=1&pid=2072#

That page includes links that detail what FleX Eyefinity does, but none of the links specify how it is accomplished or if there is any proprietary Sapphire software required.

Now, maybe their list of compatible cards is out of date, but I don't see your specific mode of card (Assuming this is it: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&lid=1&pid=2072# ?) on the list they have here: http://www.sapphiretech.com/Flex/FleX_Eng_apply_2.aspx.

Obviously this presents a bit of a problem as the specifications page for your card explicitly states that it will support such a multi-display configuration. Honestly, it sounds like your best bet might be to give Sapphire a call and find out if the product specifications page is correct for your card since the card doesn't have the "FleX" designation in its model name.

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Thanks for the help Isaiah4110, It's giving me quite a headache. I'll give them a call and see if I can get this sorted out.

And sadly, it's no doubt proprietary software, If i can use it I'll be dismayed and letting stallman down, but I want my tri monitor setup dammit.

also yes, that is my current GPU

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
If it is proprietary software then you should be ok. Since your card says it is compatible then Sapphire should have it available for you to download.

Unfortunately I didn't see any reference on Sapphire's site to "Flex Eyefinity" software, which leads me to believe it is enabled at a hardware level only on certain models (given the FleX designation in their model name) of Sapphire cards. If that is the case then my fear is that you will be out of luck since your card does not specify that it is a FleX enabled model. If that does turn out to be the case, and Sapphire tells you that you can't actually use the tri-display-without-a-display-cable setup then you might consider asking (nicely) if they can do something to make it up to you since they did advertise that capability for your specific card. I've found that most PC hardware manufacturing companies recognize the value of providing good customer service to owners of their parts.

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
As a repeat customer of sapphire products it's already too late for a "nice" response. I'm trying to be as nice as possible while still letting them know I'm pissed about the entire situation.

Again, thanks for the help, I had no idea of sapphires "Flex Eyefinity' gimmick they had

Alright, officially never buying from them again.

This is the response I got via email

"Yes so it is possible to support it, but you need to follow the requirement the card requires to setup 3 monitors."

when the only fucking requirements are 2 of the monitors have to be the same model, which they are and for the driver to be 13.12 or higher, and it's currently 14.12. I am way past being nice to them now.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
P.S. I have definitely reached that level of frustration once or twice in my lifetime while on the phone with someone's customer support group. Fortunately I have avoided having such an encounter with any of my component manufacturers.

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I have 2 dell u2412m's hooked up via DVI yes

The worst part is there's no American number to call so I have to do this over e mail, how the hell am I supposed to yell at them through that medium?

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
LOL! Yeah that's quite the dilemma.

So, the only other thing I'm seeing online is the dual-BIOS setup of that card. I recently encountered a similar issue enabling a triple-monitor setup (though this was more complex and involved using both a discrete GPU and on-board graphics output at the same time) and I had to make a BIOS change to enable it.

So what I would try doing is enabling the UEFI BIOS on your graphics card (looks like there is actually a physical button on the card you might need to push?) and checking the settings there. I'm guessing you might find something that references enabling multiple displays without a display-port cable.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Here we go! I just found a related answer for you here on the forums: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1908617/monitors-280x-working.html

To sum it up: It looks like you need to shut down the computer, turn off all three monitors, and then (with everything off) connect your monitors to the computer.

If that fails then that thread also includes the following step-by-step instruction set:

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
The link to your screen shot isn't working for some reason. I can't view it.

Were you able to get all three monitors as it should have been in step three? I think the key isn't so much the "number" your computer gives each monitor, but the "location" of the monitor you have designated as the primary monitor. I could be wrong about that, but it is definitely worth fiddling with different configurations to see if it changes your results.

In the thread I posted a link to above there were one or two people who were able to get three monitors working with driver version 13.12, but lost the ability for some reason when they upgraded to a newer version of the driver. You could try doing a fresh install of the older driver (download directly from Sapphire for this one) and see if that changes your results as well.

Basically we are going to have to try some trial and error to try to get it to work.

As far as a number for Sapphire, I really have no idea. If they don't have it on their website or in the user manual for your graphics card then I have no idea where else it would be.

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
The picture is of the 3 monitors being recognized under windows display settings but me being unable to save/ apply the settings.

Oddly enough I've managed to get more help from the german tech assistance from sapphire than I have the English one. The german tech assistance even wrote in better english as well.

I'll try downgrading to 13.12 to see if that helps anything.

I've made a ticket under sapphires thing but still haven't got a response. And I've sent like, 7 emails to the english tech support with 0 responses. Good thing their german tech support will break the language barrier and try to help.

I was able to get it to step 3 but was unable to save/ apply the settings.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Ok, I have a theory as to what may be different between your setup and his (and therefore the deciding factor in whether it works or not). If you've already done this then we'll have to come up with something else to try.

Make sure your middle monitor is the one that shows up as monitor 3 when you have all three connected. You can re-arrange the monitors by dragging in the "set your resolution" screen by dragging the indicator for each monitor to within the box that shows their orientation. Also make sure you have the one that becomes monitor 3 set as the "main display". I believe these two bits are key. I'm guessing the main display gives the starting point, and the display has to be extended left and right one monitor in each direction.

patchy_stronk

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Ok, so I managed to get it working for a brief moment but it completely screwed with my settings. My current setup allows me to drag my mouse from the left screen to the right in order to get from the first to the second monitor. But when I had the third display working I had to drag my mouse left in order to get to the monitor to the right of my primary one.. It also screwed with the resolution of my second monitor and I got black bars on the top and bottom of my second monitor. No combination of duplicating displays, order, or extending the desktop fixed it.

Think of my first monitor on the far left, the second to the right of it, and the third quite a distance away but still to the right of the second monitor. I'd like to be able to just drag my mouse from the left to right in order to reach all of the monitors.

In my bios under north bridge setting is an option called IGPU multi-monitor which is enabled but won't let me output to my 2 current monitors off of the dedicated GPU and the third off of the mobo. Any Idea why it won't allow me to use the IGPU to drive the third monitor?

I'm starting to consider getting an active display port to HDMI adapter because of how much this is frustrating me. All I wanted to do was have 3 displays without needing a display port cable... that's it.