Tribes Returns as Multiplayer-Only Game in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I remember playing a Tribers game on the PS2 a long time ago. That was before I was a PC gamer. I remember really liking it but I could only play bots as I didn't have PS2 online lol.

MadGoat1979

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
WOW! Simply wow! I think for most of us this was the FPS that put FPS on the map! The game play speed is still unmatched to this day! I have been in search of a game since T2 that matched the "Light, fast paced feel" of T2. Knowing that it will be based on the U3 engine is a bit concerning. UT2003 was fast and epic in its own right, but when UT3 came... it felt bulky and slow. (as with many games nowadays actually, probably the console influence). If this is done right, it will help in being a driving force to bring gaming BACK to the PC. (and don't think for a second about dumbing this down for consoles... )

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Well give the fact that the U3 engine is used by every major company nowadays, that's not surprising, but it's used in a variety of ways so if the company wants to change the feel of the game it won't exactly be difficult.

saiyan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
I don't know if the new game will be better than the original Starsiege Tribes.

I normally don't like to play FPS games but Starsiege Tribes was an exception. I was addicted to that game for about 2 years in the late 90s. When Tribes 2 was released, I rushed to buy it and the sequel turned out to be a epic fail.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Oh come now saiyan, the sequel was pretty good, I think you were a bit spoiled from Starsiege, and that is understandable. The campaign for Vengeance was very well done, long but worth it. Never played the MP for vengeance though, but the SP was very well polished, and made good use of my 9800 pro. :D

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Aah the reason I never saw any value in Halo. Was always like hmm this isn't as good as Tribes. Tribes 2 and Vengeance, which I like, never really had MODs as good as the original. The original Tribes and Tribes 2 were released for free if anyone is looking to get there nostalgia on - if theres any servers.
VGX

G

Best online mutliplayer game ever. 10 on 10 CTF with announcers broadcasting it to hundreds of listeners! Slaps on WOW so hard! No game has touched the level of intensity, sportsmanship, and competition that Tribes one owned in the late 90's (Imperial Elite, S3, 5150, NuTz, Run and Gun). I was so disappointed with Tribes 2 and how it damaged the franchise. Definitely will be upgrading my PC rig and waiting for this game to hit the shelves!

G

Oh how I remember traversing the vast desert landscapes at night, on the very outskirts of the map trying to stealthily evade enemy radar and vehicles while I ski jump from hill to hill as scout class. Sneaking into bases with sensor jammers, or deploying radars around the map to build a sensor network for my team to use. Piloting a 4 man dropship flying nap of the earth to spring up on the floating castle from underneath. Building little remote inventory stations at key junctions for teammates to reload, ahhh those were the days. Aww I'm getting misty here.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'll probably try it out. If there is no single player, then it better be a cheap game. I'm not paying $50+ just for a multiplayer FPS.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i loved the starsiege universe, it had such a rich back story, tribes spun off of that universe well, and was very fun to get together 2with friends and play, wonder if they'll do another starsiege game to? been a while since i've seen a good mech game

G

I played the original Tribes and later, Tribes 2. I was literally broken-hearted when they shut down the Tribes servers and took the FPS out of Tribes: Vengeance. What a disappointment! I'm eagerly anticipating the release of Tribes: Ascend!

G

T2 IS STILL ALIVE! It's now known as Tribes-Next! The builder community got together and brought it back to life a LONG time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.