Question Tried upgrading PSU but motherboard won't take it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2022
Hey guys! I need some help getting my motherboard to accept my new power supply.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop. It has an Intel I7, 16GB of RAM, Running windows 11. I recently upgraded my graphics card to a MSI 1660 GTX and had to upgrade my stock Dell power supply in order to supply my new GPU with the 6 pin connecter.
My motherboard has a standardized 24 pin PSU plug. Did some research, everywhere said that upgrading to a new power supply would not be a problem on the 7010, but I am getting nothing but problems haha

My first PSU I tried was the Corsair CX430. when I plug it into power, the power button just blinks orange repeatedly. I made sure everything is connected properly and still got no power. A weird buzzing was coming from the PSU. At this point I unplugged everything from the motherboard and just tried the main plug, same issue.
I replugged the stock PSU and it boots no problem. I then tried another PSU. ModXStream-Pro 600W PSU. Same issue with no power and an orange blinking light.
I have checked and compared voltages between the stock PSU and the aftermarket ones using this pinout chart and they all match more or less.

I am so confused, did tons of research and everyone said it would work fine. Is there something I can do to trick my motherboard into using my new PSUs?
I appreciate any reply, thanks!!
atx_power_supply_pinout.png

Reactions: YaSSeR.am
On a Dell motherboard it usually means that the PSU might be faulty (1) or one of the components is not properly powered (2).

(1) is unlikely as you tried two different PSU, so you should investigate more thoroughly.

BTW, an ATX power tester is more accurate and more handy than manually comparing the voltages.

Reactions: YaSSeR.am
Jul 20, 2022
On a Dell motherboard it usually means that the PSU might be faulty (1) or one of the components is not properly powered (2).

(1) is unlikely as you tried two different PSU, so you should investigate more thoroughly.

BTW, an ATX power tester is more accurate and more handy than manually comparing the voltages.
Ended up being 2 bad power supplies. 3rd one was a charm, Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.