Feb 19, 2019
Hello All,

Recently, I used Windows Disk Management tool to upgrade my SSDs to dynamic-disks from basic-disks.

Upon doing so, I noticed that I lost the ability to optimize / TRIM these drives.

At first, I thought it may have been the AHCI SATA Controller drivers that were causing the issue; however, an upgrade to the latest AMD SATA drivers did not remedy a fix. Further, I have confirmed that TRIM is enabled.

Upon further reading, it appears, (although I'm not certain), that dynamic-disks do not have the ability to perform TRIM operations.

Four questions...

First, is it true that dynamic-disks cannot perform TRIM?

Second, does it matter?

If so, will Microsoft eventually add TRIM support for dynamic-disks, or is there a technical issue for why they can't?

Finally, if it does matter, what can be done about it, without reverting to basic-disks?

Thanks,

UP11

D

Deleted member 14196

I believe you will have to reformat them and destroy the partitions and re-create then as basic. You are correct there is no trim support for dynamic drives. If you need raid they say the preferred way to do it with software is to use storage spaces instead

Feb 19, 2019
I believe you will have to reformat them and destroy the partitions and re-create then as basic. You are correct there is no trim support for dynamic drives. If you need raid they say the preferred way to do it with software is to use storage spaces instead

Ahh.... That was the answer that I feared. Thanks anyways.

Well, I'm not going to do that; I'm just going to ride this thing out.

Every website was telling me that dynamic-disk was a costless upgrade; however, that does not appear to be the case.

Hopefully they will add support for it in the future.