[SOLVED] trouble loading Win7 after storage drive upgrade

harryswartz

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
I just upgraded my old Samsung 1T HDD (Storage) drive to a Samsung SSD 1T drive. I have 3 partitions on the drive. I did a copy/paste of files from the HDD to the SSD.
(Obviously I could not copy the same drive letters. I planned to change them once I disconnected the old HDD.)
I restarted and now Win7 wont load and instead says "windows is loading files" then screen turns blue and nothing happens. I restart and I get the Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
and the Start Windows Normally options. If I select the Start Windows Normally option it again repeats "windows is loading files".
I'm leary to do the repair option as I dont want to mess up the Boot file or something. If I do remove the new Samsung SSD 1T drive Win7 will load no problem.
My Boot (C) drive is a Kingston 120G SSD. The boot options in BIOS look ok with Option #1 Windows Boot Manager (P3: KINGSTON) Kingston 120. Option #2 also shows the KINGSTON 120.
Should I just select the Launch Startup Repair option? Or am I at risk of screwing something up as i dont need to repair anything if the new drive is disconnected.
(I dont ever remember having to do Startup Repair to my boot drive when I installed new storage drives in the past.)
Or is there something else I need to do?
Really appreciate any insight someone could share.
Thanks.

Solution
Redo the conversion.
Boot from windows 7 and redo the conversion.

Verify that the hdd is the first boot device.
Possibly you will have trouble booting from the original hdd with the ssd connected.
One solution is to use a usb to sata adapter cable to connect the ssd via a usb port.

Use the free samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive to the ssd.
Here is a link to the app and manual.
The process takes care of setting up all the required partitions.
The app does not change the source drive.
It will erase the contents of the target ssd.
When done, disconnect the original hdd to verify that all was done ok.

Lutfij

Titan
Is the platform you're on a dual system with dual boot OS?

If you're working with Windows 7, you shouldn't be seeing a Windows Boot Manager option in BIOS, that option is found if you're working with Windows 8 and above(8/8.1/10). Might want to remove the SSD that you've added, then look in Disk Manager to see what your partitions are. On a second note, might want to parse a screenshot here to show us what you're seeing. Use Imgur to host your image then parse link here.

Redo the conversion.
Boot from windows 7 and redo the conversion.

Verify that the hdd is the first boot device.
Possibly you will have trouble booting from the original hdd with the ssd connected.
One solution is to use a usb to sata adapter cable to connect the ssd via a usb port.

Use the free samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive to the ssd.
Here is a link to the app and manual.
The process takes care of setting up all the required partitions.
The app does not change the source drive.
It will erase the contents of the target ssd.
When done, disconnect the original hdd to verify that all was done ok.

Last edited:
Solution

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
you can sometimes change your Bios to load legacy boot devices or UEFI, repartition your hard drive GPT or MBR. to support UEFI windows instillation (GPT) or a legacy instillation (MBR)

harryswartz

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Thanks everyone. Lutfi you're right. Ive never seen in the past a Boot Manager listed as a boot option in BIOS.
The Boot drive is an SSD. Only HDD I have is the storage drive that I'm trying to replace.
Here are some images. Partition manager shows the boot drive and my other 240G SSD storage drive. I have the old 1T HDD
storage drive disconnected.

IqKPmyc.jpg

5vAXCN1.jpg

gVGRWik.jpg

Last edited:

harryswartz

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Cant copy C to new SSD via internal sata because pc wont boot. I'll take the usb route and see if i can adjust the partition
letters to match the drive im replacing. Sure the Startup Repair option might not fix the problem?
Also: I've allready FILLED the new 1T SSD with the files from the old HDD. I really dont want to have to wipe it (sampsung app) and start over.
Cant easus partition manager do the same as the samsung app? I want to leave C on my 120G SSD anyway. Thanks

Last edited:
Cant copy C to new SSD via internal sata because pc wont boot. I'll take the usb route and see if i can adjust the partition
letters to match the drive im replacing. Sure the Startup Repair option might not fix the problem?
Also: I've allready FILLED the new 1T SSD with the files from the old HDD. I really dont want to have to wipe it (sampsung app) and start over.
Cant easus partition manager do the same as the samsung app? I want to leave C on my 120G SSD anyway. Thanks
if you use the samsung app to copy your c drive, the new c drive will have all of the partitions and data of the original, plus the extra space because of the larger ssd.
It will still be called the c drive. If you had any extra partitions, they will still be there with the original names.

You need to do nothing after the copy but disconnedt the new ssd, take out the old and replace it with the new.
later if you wish, you can connect the old via the usb adapter and erase it or do what you wish.