[SOLVED] Troubleshooting Unexpected Shutdown/Display Issue

qpACEqp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2014
I have been having an odd issue where my PC will shutdown or restart. Typically it happens in some games but it could also occur randomly. I have been able to replicate it by running Furmark, but the issue only happens if I run it at 4k or 1440p. For 1440p, it ran fine until I stopped the stress test. 4k the computer just shutsdown or restarts within a few seconds. Naturally, I would guess its the GPU, but after the restart the display sometimes does not work unless I let the computer stay off for 15 minutes to an hour, which makes me think it is my MoBo. In that case, neither the GPU display output or the MoBo display output displays anything. Additionally, I have found that some times when waking from sleep the display does not work similarly as mentioned before. Both MemTest64 and Prime95 run fine so I believe it is either the MoBo or GPU.

Any thoughts on how I could identify the malfunctioning part or other solutions?

Specs:
i5 3570k
asus p8z77-I deluxe/wd
GTX 1070
8GB DDR3

Solution
Everything except the GPU is from 2013. PSU is: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 720W Power Supply. Do you think the PSU could cause the display issues after restart I mentioned?

CPU hovers around 80 and I think GPU 65 to 75. I'm in a mini ITX case with a stock cooler so the temperatures have seemed fine.
Are you monitoring temperatures while you are gaming?

Your PSU has a 5 year warranty, so regardless, it may be worth replacing.

It's a tough call. A failing PSU can have a wide variety of symptoms. If it was the GPU, then the restart scenario you mentioned should have worked when you used the motherboard display output, and it didn't.

My guess is it's either the motherboard or the PSU. You can probably find a z77 chipset...

qpACEqp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2014
What is the make/model of you power supply and how old is it?

Have you checked your CPU and GPU temperatures while gaming or while running the tests?
Everything except the GPU is from 2013. PSU is: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 720W Power Supply. Do you think the PSU could cause the display issues after restart I mentioned?

CPU hovers around 80 and I think GPU 65 to 75. I'm in a mini ITX case with a stock cooler so the temperatures have seemed fine.

It's a tough call. A failing PSU can have a wide variety of symptoms. If it was the GPU, then the restart scenario you mentioned should have worked when you used the motherboard display output, and it didn't.

My guess is it's either the motherboard or the PSU. You can probably find a z77 chipset motherboard on ebay.

Solution

qpACEqp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2014

My guess is it's either the motherboard or the PSU. You can probably find a z77 chipset motherboard on ebay.
Ok, got it. I just ordered a PSU to test it. Hopefully, that is the problem. If not, I guess I'll be upgrading.

TRENDING THREADS