Question truth or myth about gaming headsets with 7.1 sound

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I've read much about these headphones,and I noticed one model which I want to buy,which are HyperX Cloud II
But is is a just a myth about 7.1 headsets?
Can we actually hear 7.1 surround sound over a pair of headphones?
Do they really offer 7.1 surround?
I just don't want to buy 7.1 headset and get stereo sound.
I think that is a myth because our ears can't recognize surround over a pair of headphones.
I read much about these headphones and most people say that is some sort of virtual surround and it is crapy.
In that case I'd better go with HyperX Cloud Alpha.

Obviously, it's simulated 7.1 sound. That is not to say however that it can't still be GOOD sound, but is probably not. If you want good sound, forget about the mainstream gamer garbage and go with something that actually has some quality like one of the Sennheiser gaming headsets or headphones, depending on whether you require a mic or not.

Its not true 7.1, which is where the "myth" comes from. There are not 7 drivers in the headset, just two.
The soundcard that comes with the Cloud IIs simulates directional sound, similar to that which you would get from a 7.1 physical setup.

Is it perfect? Close to a real 7.1 setup? Well no.
But, it does deliver directional sound better than without the virtual 7.1

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since people hear sounds differently, it's hard to say if the software generated 7.1 surround sound is better or worse from the real 8x speaker setup in 7.1 configuration. Though, audiophiles would argue that software generated 7.1 is one of the worst things and should not be done at all. Btw, i'm not an audiophile but a regular user.

Speaking of 7.1, i have Corsair Void Pro RGB USB headset in use that also have Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound,
specs: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...adsets/void-pro-usb-config-eu/p/CA-9011154-EU

Switching between stereo and 7.1 sound gives a very noticeable difference. With 7.1 enabled, there is a lot more immersion to the sounds than in stereo mode. I had a bit hard time adjusting to 7.1 sounds when i bought my Void Pro headset since i used cheap Philips headphones before. Then again, any good quality headphone/headset was better than my old Philips headphones.
To me, 7.1 sounds of my Void Pro are really good and if i want, i can switch the 7.1 off, either from the Corsair iCUE software or from the headset directly.

Void Pro review by audiophile,
youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEjekJAk8pI

D

Deleted member 217926

I use the gaming mode on my Asus Xonar STX which enables Dolby headphone and virtual 7.1 when gaming. For music stereo is best.

I really don't know about any of the 'gaming' headsets. But you want a large soundstage and precise imaging for gaming. Some headphones do that better than others. My HD598s are my daily drivers and what I use for gaming due to comfort and the excellent soundstage and imaging. But they don't hold a candle to something like my HD600s in sound quality for music. The 600s are more like sitting in an intimate venue while the 598s are like sitting in a stadium though. So the 598s are better for gaming.

Some headphones can even completely disappear and surround you in an almost 360 degree ball of sound. My Focal Elears do that in a way I've never heard before. They're almost perfect for gaming due to that but they're also heavier and less comfortable than my 598s and they require a pretty good source to get the most out of them. If I played any sort of competitive multiplayer they'd be what I'd use and I wouldn't even use virtual surround. BUT, they aren't cheap and they need a good amp/DAC chain to get the most out of them. Anyone that says you can't get 360 degree sound out of stereo headphones has never heard good headphones.

Reactions: Darkbreeze