Trying to find a gaming card for older PCI...not PCI-e PCI express

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello...I just read and replied to a thread where a guy wanted to add a graphics card, to his older desktop...same thing I need to do.

I need a good performance card for the older type PCI socket...not a PCI-e / PCI express.... because my older HP a1240n mother board, does not allow for AGP or PCI-e.

And from all the reading I have done, there is no such thing as an aftermarket adapter which "correctly" adapts a regular PCI slot to AGP or PCI-e....meaning it will perform 100% as it should.

This is a shame because my other desktop, a HP a620n does have AGP and it has a Radeon X850 PRO, that I installed back when they were new on the market.

....But my HP a620n w/Radeon X850 PRO will not support a CPU over 2.2ghz. I can play a MMO such as "Dungeons and Dragons online" but a game such as "Tera online", requires a 3.2mhz or better CPU.

My HP a1240n mother board only has a 3.0mhz CPU, so I just bought an "upgrade" (CPU 3.4mhz --Socket: LGA775 #550 Intel processor...which is the largest CPU the board will support) This is the board I have: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00361570&lc=en&cc=us&product=1130587

I then bought a refurbished Radeon X850XT Platinum graphics card for it BUT....then wen I received it, realized the Radeon X850XT is PCI-e ....not the basic PCI...so I can't even use it.

I'm now I'm back to the drawing board.....trying to find a "good" gaming card, for my old HP a1240n system.

Any suggestions? Ebay is full of them.... cheap...but I want to get the best one I can.

Solution
go with my build ull be happy.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $287.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 21:08 EST-0500)

To be honest and probably a little harsh. NONE of the PCI cards will EVER run modern games. Not even the most basic modern games like League of legends.

The PCI bus is just to bandwidth starved.

Save up for a AMD APU based system, they are cheap and can play basic modern games.

Sorry, but I do not sugarcoat.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Bellow are the specs for the HP a1240n.

It currently has only 1 GB (2 x 512) DDR2 SDRAM installed. I intend to max it out to 4GB using non-ecc unregisteded ECC CL3 memory. Still not great... but I hope 4GB will do the trick....I wish the motherboard could support more. They run about $10/!GB on a popular auction site...so $40 to upgrade memory.

The power supply is only 250w, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade it to either an Antec Basiq VP-450 450W or a Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W. (I have a HCG-400 in my other computer....HP a620n and it works very well to run my Radeon graphics card.)

Also, as I mentioned the processor is a Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz----but the mother board supports up to 3.4Ghz so I just bought a Intel Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz #550/ 1M / 800 Mhz socket 775 CPU processor SL7J8, to go as far as the board will support. I need a minimum processor of 3.2Ghz to play a game like "Tera online" so this hopefully will meet the bill.

As far a budget strictly for a good graphics card...not really sure. The old ones seem to go for $30-$75 on auction sites.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BASE INFO
Base processor
Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz:

800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

Chipset Intel 915GV
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: PTGD-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Goldfish3-GL8E

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-3200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two
Hard drive

200 GB SATA
7200 rpm

16x DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

type Attributes
DVD-R DL Write Once 4X
DVD+R DL Write Once 2.4X
DVD+R Write Once 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable 4X
DVD-R Write Once 8X
DVD-RW Rewritable 4X
DVD ROM Read 16X
CD-R Write Once 40X
CD-RW Rewritable 24X
CD-ROM Read 40X
DVD-ROM drive
Maximum speed: 16X
Modem
PCI K56flex data/fax modem
Video graphics
Integrated with up to 128 MB allocated video memory
Sound/audio
Integrated High Definition audio

Realtek ALC 880 chipset
8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader

USB interface
Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
MultiMediaCard
Secure Digital (SD)
Micro Drive
XD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)

External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB One
IEEE 1394 One
USB (2.0) Two
Headphone One
Line-in One
Microphone One
I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
VGA (monitor) One
Parallel One
USB (2.0) Four
IEEE 1394 One
LAN One
Audio One each (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone)
Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (two available)
DIMM Four (two available)
Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25-inch, external Two (occupied)
3.5-inch, external Two (one available)
3.5-inch, internal One (occupied)
Keyboard and mouse

HP PS/2 multimedia keyboard
Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
HP PS/2 scroller mouse

The MINIMUM GPU requirement for Tera Online

AMD/ATI : Radeon HD 5450 512MB.
Nvidia : GeForce 315 512MB/GT220.

There is not a single PCI base card that can match the above cards.

So let me say this again, YOU CAN NOT USE A PCI BASED CARD for Tera Online or 99% of games available.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
As a side note....I'm not exactly computer savvy...I'm willing to work on it and learn as I go...but this is not stuff I'm good at and have to read online/research very thoroughly just to try it.

Saying this...one guy suggested today that I consider replacing my ASUS made PTGD-LA Goldfish3-GL8E motherboard with a http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5G41TM/#specifications. It also uses the LGA 775 socket. But it has the PCI-e sockets.

He said that would fit in my HP a1240n system and it takes the same processor, ram, and hard drives (sata). It has two PCI slots and a PCI-E slot for video cards.

But I'm not too sure about if this is a option or not. I looks like there is a: ASUS p5g41t-m LX PLUS, also an LX3 PLUS,

I looked up the board online at http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5G41TM/#specifications

....but although it uses a Socket 775, it looks like it uses 2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory and Intel® G41 / ICH7

but it says that **When you install a total memory of 4GB or more, Windows® 32-bit operating system may only recognize less than 3GB. We recommend a maximum of 3GB system memory if you are using a Windows® 32-bit operating system

I have the Windows® 32-bit operating system...so maybe it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
It also looks like the fastest processor it seems to support is only 3.3Ghz.

Maybe this would work better to acquire PCI-e... but not sure.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Ok...that's good to know up front. I'm very happy with playing Dungeons and Dragons online MMO on my AGP equipped HP a620n with Radeon X85O...just wanted to give Tera a try I suppose.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I wasn't ignoring anybodies posts. I was typing my own while others were posted. They are all very much appreciated. ...thanks for the info.

It stinks because I have a practically brand new a1240n (It was never really used since new) and its pretty much useless for any sort of gaming I suppose.

Is there any truth that the ASUS P5G41T-M motherboard would be more or less a direct swap and a big upgrade?

It is a MUCH better option to get a better motherboard with PCI-e, but depending on the price and your budget, I would not spend money on a system that is based on a socket that is heavily outdated.

Tera online seems to also want a DUAL core CPU, which you do not have. It may work with your current CPU though if you ahve a decent graphics card.

Lets work this out for you.

Lets say you get a 775 socket PCI-e motherboard for 40$ and a cheap graphics card for 30$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161367

So that gives you 70$ cost for A CHANCE to run the game, and if it does run, it will be at EXTREMELY LOW SETTINGS.

Now if you were to get an AMD APU based system that will run the game FOR SURE.
Motherboard 48$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641

CPU 55$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113283

So that is 33$ more BUT you knwo for a fact you would run the game. It won't be high settings, but it would sure be higher than the system you are considering.

What is your total budget for getting you to run this game?

Wolfshadw

Titan
While you probably could replace the motherboard with the ASUS P5G41TM, you would also need to purchase a new operating system as the one installed in your system now, it tied to your old motherboard.

If you're going to be purchasing new components, you may as well go with current, up to date components.

-Wolf sends

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I was "thinking" that changing a motherboard would require a new operating system...and wasn't just a quick swap..as the guy selling the board suggested. But I wasn't really sure how that works or how complicated it was.

Again...this is pretty much new stuff for me...but I like to learn and am willing to stumble my way through it. Previously, I've only swapped out various parts, like upgrading to better CPUs, power sources, graphic cards and "basic" stuff like that.

I would like to get all the parts for under $300.... if I can rely heavily on buying good but used parts etc, of a popular auction site.

Well at 300 Dollars you have MANY better option. What power supply do you have? Will your case fit normal ATX components? (it should).

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Its a big full size case, so space wont be much of an issue. The current installed power supply is only 250w, so I'm thinking I hve two options...I considered upgraded it to either with a Antec Basiq VP-450 450watt...

...Or another option for power is just take the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W out of my HP a620n.
Not really a concern, because I can't do anything more with that desktop because its only an AMD 3200+ with 2.2Ghz...but it runs my (AGP) Radeon X850 Pro in it good enough to play DDO.com.

As I explained earlier...I also have a refurbished Radeon X850XT Platinum PCI-E that I can't use. So I could salvage the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400400w power source and my extra Radeon X850XT Platinum PCI-E ....if that would meet requirements to play stuff like TERA.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $287.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 21:08 EST-0500)

would do it

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Icelock( and you other guys too)...thanks for that super fast breakdown of a direction to do a build. So... if I'm lucky, I could possibly do this build a little closer to $200 if I can buy via auction site.

Then I'd have to install a 64 bit operating system..right? Sorry if I sound clueless... I sort of am...(I'm in my 40's...a old guy you might say)

lol you can still learn these things at 40+.

Yes you would need to get a 64-bit windows.

I would not suggest getting the components at an auction though. Except the CPU, that should be fine, but not the mobo or RAM as you can't confirm it is in a working order.

You can also get windows 7 64-bit at an auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.