Question Trying to identify the cause of the problem ?

Lunytic

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2016
I have a fairly new rig, June 2023. [Win 11 - z690 Aorus Ultra MB, i9-13900k, 64gb ram, RTX 4080 - overkill for what I actually do, but that's not the point for today]

About 2 months ago I started getting a lot of random crashes, typically when gaming (Starfield, ESO, Stellaris, others) but not always. Sometimes it's a game crashing, but more frequently I'm getting BSOD reboots as well. Also sometimes programs like Discord will crash on opening, even after a clean uninstall-reinstall, for a couple hours, then work.

I'm trying to track down the problem and not having a lot of luck.

Things I've done:
1. Clean reinstall (kept windows.old, but not a repair) and updated all drivers
2. Ran a windows 11 memtest, came out fine
3. Ran a Furmark stress test, passed, all temps were good (65C-70C peak)
4. I do see things in the event viewer, but looking them up... I'm not following. Sample events:

a. Level: Critical Source: Kernal-Power Event ID: 41 Task Category (63) <--- recent BSOD as i was launching a new game of Stellaris
b. I get flurries (380 over last 7 days) of: Level: Error Source: DeviceSetupManager EventID: 131 Task Category (None)

Given the FurMark stress test, I don't think it's the GPU, I would have expected a crash during the test. And the on-boot memtest passed fine, which makes me think MB / CPU - but I'm not sure how to test those (and Google only mentions swapping parts)

Thoughts/next steps/missing data? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Lunytic

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2016
That's disappointing, it's only 8 months old or so, yeah, I still have my old rig, but it's from 2019, a Corsair RM750x, 750w. I figured 1300w would have been plenty of headroom. Is a 750w a valid test to swap out?

Lunytic

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2016
Appear to have found the resolution. It appears to be the issue with Gen 13/Gen 14 Intel CPUs and motherboards that shove beyond maximum tested power to them. Following the instructions in the articles in: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...2 driver patch,and Raptor Lake Refresh gamers.

I set my boost power draw limit to 253W and I haven't seen the issue repeat despite doing things guaranteed previously to trigger the CDT/Blue Screen.

Solution