Trying to oc my q6600 on hp computer?

resop27

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Ive been reading alot about over clocking, and really would like to see some more out of my cpu without spending alot for a new one.

So I attempted rebooted my computer pressed F10 to bring up setup but once im there I cant touch anything with my cpu.

Its a hp m9040n setup just put into a larger case with better cooling.

can this be oc or do I need to start looking for a motherboard.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You more than likely need a new MoBo, unless you can find a Retail version of your board, and are able to flash the Bios to it.

Most OEM makers lock out the stuff required to over clock. After all, you are buying a set price computer... if everyone got themselves a 499$ complete HP q6600 series comp and over clocked it to 3.6 Ghz like most Q6600s can be clocked to, well, thats over 1 grand for the chips at 3.2 Ghz!!

Wouldn't want you to take money from those hard earning computer makers, would you?

Also, Down Load and run Either Core Temp, or Real Temp, and please list the VID of your processor?

Oh, there is always a software overclock...

--Lupi

resop27

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
well then I dont know the most about mother boards so if I were in the market for one that supports a quad core also im looking for something that supports sli so I can run another 9800 gtx this would be a great help if someone could link me to either some mobo's or a link on what i should look for in one.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
The cheap way to go would be a 750i type board. Dual 2.0 PCIe lanes, but NVidia boards are harder to over clock on then your average intel board. A few of them have been known to do acceptable.

WHat would you like to spend?

hehehe!

:)

--Lupi

resop27

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Im not so sure i hoping for under 200 im just wanting in enhance crysis and get ready for far cry 2. but I'm not looking for the downright hxc gaming rig

howdid

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
hehe
there are lots of intel LGA 775 boards with SLI out there under $200
just check if your motherboard is good for overclocking on the internet with some reading before you buy it

and thx Lupi for helping me out in another thread
:)

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You can more than likely re use everything but the Board. I would recommend you assess your current heat sink as well.

If it is stock, get your paws a Xigmatek 1283 for 36 with 10 bucks rebate on new egg. Just get a back plate, or be ready to lop off the push pins in favor of almost 1 inch screws, and 4 tiny lil bolts.

--Lupi