Question Trying to reset an old laptop's SSD to new laptop OEM state.

Aug 11, 2024
I have an MSI Leopard Gl75 10SDR, And recently, I dropped and broke my old SSD. (One of the gold contacts fell off). As a stopgap until my new SSD arrives I have taken the SSD out of my old laptop and put it into the new one. The old one was a Lenovo legion. I am wondering if I can reset the SSD to MSI OEM standards as there are missing drivers and other issues that could be solved If i was able to clone the drive. I want the laptop to be the New laptop's default drivers, software etc. How would I do this?

P.S.
I plan to use a data recovery service for my old drive. But I cannot play anything until then.

Edit: Grammar

Solution
Currently:
MSI with a broken SSD
Lenovo with working SSD

Your desire to:
Put the Lenovo SSD in the MSI laptop.

This will require a full wipe and reinstall. OS, drivers, and everything else.
A Windows install is not usually portable like this. Especially between laptops.

Suggestion:
Embrace the suck, and wait for the replacement SSD to arrive.
Then, the same full OS install as you would do with the Lenovo drive.

There is no magic bullet for this.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an MSI Leopard Gl75 10SDR, And recently, I dropped and broke my old SSD. (One of the gold contacts fell off). As a stopgap until my new SSD arrives I have taken the SSD out of my old laptop and put it into the new one. The old one was a Lenovo legion. I am wondering if I can reset the SSD to MSI OEM standards as there are missing drivers and other issues that could be solved If i was able to clone the drive. I want the laptop to be the New laptop's default drivers, software etc. How would I do this?

P.S.
I plan to use a data recovery service for my old drive. But I cannot play anything until then.

Unsure what you're actually asking.

But...
Since the old drive seems to be "broken", you can't clone that.
You can't take the Lenovo drive and its OS and put it in the MSI laptop and hope it works OK.

The MSI came with its own OS?
Then the only thing you need to do is install whatever applications you use.
Your personal data that used to reside on the now broken SSD from the Lenovo? Well, thats what backups are for.

If I've mistaken what you're trying to do, please clarify.

P.S.

Hey there,

You're prob better just doing a fresh install of WIn10 or Win 11 using the create media installation here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

When done, then go to the MSI website for your driver etc.

Cleanest way.

Unsure what you're actually asking.

But...
Since the old drive seems to be "broken", you can't clone that.
You can't take the Lenovo drive and its OS and put it in the MSI laptop and hope it works OK.

The MSI came with its own OS?
Then the only thing you need to do is install whatever applications you use.
Your personal data that used to reside on the now broken SSD from the Lenovo? Well, thats what backups are for.

If I've mistaken what you're trying to do, please clarify.
After reading your post, I'm unsure myself now :)

Aug 11, 2024
The MSI laptop SSD came with its own software and drivers, that SSD is currently broken, so I borrowed it from the old laptop and plugged it in, however it comes with only some of the drivers and others which are broken, unusable and outdated. I have completely reset windows and tried to update some of them, but I Cannot get much progress. The Lenovo SSD stores its drivers in a different partition of the drive which is accessible. All in all, I cant play games because the drivers and software that come with the Lenovo SSD are not working with my current hardware. Is there a way to completely reset the whole SSD so that it comes with the MSI drivers and software? Removing the current drivers and software would be a tedious process and I cannot be sure which driver is useful or just random things left from the other system. Any ideas for software or next steps?

USAFRet

Titan
Currently:
MSI with a broken SSD
Lenovo with working SSD

Your desire to:
Put the Lenovo SSD in the MSI laptop.

This will require a full wipe and reinstall. OS, drivers, and everything else.
A Windows install is not usually portable like this. Especially between laptops.

Suggestion:
Embrace the suck, and wait for the replacement SSD to arrive.
Then, the same full OS install as you would do with the Lenovo drive.

There is no magic bullet for this.

Solution