[SOLVED] Trying to understand Application Error (Instruction at Referenced Memory)

Sunyata

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I'm just trying to get a better understanding of specifically what this error is telling me:
Rich (BB code):
My only question is whether the "referenced memory" address it refers to is an address in RAM, or a location on the system drive.
I've been assuming that it's referring to RAM, as it says memory, but I want to make sure because I've contacted the developer and after going through all the typical support steps, they've classified it as a bug. While I wait for them to fix it, I want to run some tests every so often to ensure that the error isn't due to some component (RAM or a drive) slowly degrading, and so that I can be sure they aren't looking for a bug in their software when it is in fact due to some problem with my hardware.
I'm not looking for anyone to fix the error, I'm just trying to figure out specifically what this obscure message is trying to tell me.

Solution
I'm not even sure how I would get the app to create an error dump, the error only happens when the app is automatically closing during sign-out or shutdown. It's pretty specific, and only with this one app. I know very little about software at all. The developers never asked for a dump or anything of the sort so I'm not sure if the app can even make one. Do you know if there's some way to produce one manually? Probably a stupid question to ask, but I'd absolutely do it to help them resolve it if possible.

I'm really just trying to make sure that I do everything I can to rule out some kind of hardware problem or degradation. I built this PC fresh only about a year ago after saving up and my funds are pretty limited, so I want to...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm just trying to get a better understanding of specifically what this error is telling me:
Rich (BB code):
My only question is whether the "referenced memory" address it refers to is an address in RAM, or a location on the system drive.
I've been assuming that it's referring to RAM, as it says memory, but I want to make sure because I've contacted the developer and after going through all the typical support steps, they've classified it as a bug. While I wait for them to fix it, I want to run some tests every so often to ensure that the error isn't due to some component (RAM or a drive) slowly degrading, and so that I can be sure they aren't looking for a bug in their software when it is in fact due to some problem with my hardware.
I'm not looking for anyone to fix the error, I'm just trying to figure out specifically what this obscure message is trying to tell me.
It is not telling you much. All it is saying is that a situation happened where either a pointer or a process stack got corrupted. There is no way for you to know why. If you send dumps to the developer, they may be able to use the source code to determine WHAT happened.

Reactions: Sunyata

Sunyata

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I'm not even sure how I would get the app to create an error dump, the error only happens when the app is automatically closing during sign-out or shutdown. It's pretty specific, and only with this one app. I know very little about software at all. The developers never asked for a dump or anything of the sort so I'm not sure if the app can even make one. Do you know if there's some way to produce one manually? Probably a stupid question to ask, but I'd absolutely do it to help them resolve it if possible.

I'm really just trying to make sure that I do everything I can to rule out some kind of hardware problem or degradation. I built this PC fresh only about a year ago after saving up and my funds are pretty limited, so I want to file any kind of warranty claim for a damaged component as soon as I can, as well as make sure I'm not wasting the developers' time in filing a bug.
I was only really hoping someone more knowledgeable than me could help me narrow down what sort of tests I should keep running to rule out a hardware issue, so thank you very much for your response! Assuming I can't manually force the app to produce an error dump somehow, I'll try running windows memory diagnostic a few more times and hope that they fix the bug quickly before trying a full windows reset, as the first memory test didn't find any errors and a full reset is about the only thing I haven't tried yet.

kanewolf

Titan

I'm really just trying to make sure that I do everything I can to rule out some kind of hardware problem or degradation. I built this PC fresh only about a year ago after saving up and my funds are pretty limited, so I want to file any kind of warranty claim for a damaged component as soon as I can, as well as make sure I'm not wasting the developers' time in filing a bug.
I was only really hoping someone more knowledgeable than me could help me narrow down what sort of tests I should keep running to rule out a hardware issue, so thank you very much for your response! Assuming I can't manually force the app to produce an error dump somehow, I'll try running windows memory diagnostic a few more times and hope that they fix the bug quickly before trying a full windows reset, as the first memory test didn't find any errors and a full reset is about the only thing I haven't tried yet.
The way to eliminate a hardware problem is to use test software. MEMTEST86 for memory for example. Or Intel's processor diagnostic (if you have an Intel CPU). Basically you are "getting a second opinion".
This type of error can't damage your system. The OS protects itself and other processes.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

You got a null pointer here is what you got. You can’t determine from that what went wrong but I would do a memory test

Sunyata

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
You got a null pointer here is what you got. You can’t determine from that what went wrong but I would do a memory test
I've done the windows tool a couple times and then after I couldn't let it go I made a memtest usb as well, nothing found any errors. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't risking creating some damage in the future by ignoring the error. Thank you both VERY much! I know it's pretty silly but this computer is really important to me right now so I haven't been able to just forget about it.