News TSMC Will Cut Off Supply to Huawei In September

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Yeah, I'd like to see these gun control laws get reformed. The degree of gun violence here is up there compared to other countries.
The problem lies in that the NRA pretty much owns, or is in cahoots, with some of these politicians - especially that one guy who started a trade war with China...

Wait, what??? Head on over to Chicago. Some of the toughest gun control laws on the books. Only 78 people shot in one weekend, a few weekends ago. Wonder how many will go down, this weekend, in that utopia of liberal progress...

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Can some one please explain to me why Intel does not ask TSMC to make their chips until they can move th 5nm Technology ? intel is badly stuck at 14nm and it is a huge problem for them.

Just make intel chips outside intel until they are ready.

Well, while Intel is objectively behind the curve, these terms of 7nm 10nm and 5nm are 90% marketing terms. They have little basis for actual comparison.

If we measure these purely by transistor density, then here are a few facts :
  • Intel 10nm is more dense than TSMC 7N gen 1
  • Intel 10nm is more dense than TSMC 7NP (gen 2)
  • Intel 14nm is more dense than TSMC 12nm
  • Intel 14nm is more dense than Samsung 14nm
  • Intel 14nm is more dense than GloFlo 12nm
  • TSMC 7nm+ (newest node) is ~13% more dense than Intel 10nm (this is relatively small)
  • Intel's 10nm is nearly twice the density of any other fabs 10nm
Based on this pattern, I think we can expect that Intel 7nm will match or beat the others "5nm" process nodes. The foundries have successfully run a marketing campaign that overrates their progress vs Intel.

Bottom line is that Intel doesn't need to use the other fabs. What they should probably do is start using TSMCs / GloFlo's marketing standard and rename their processes from 14nm -> 10nm and 10nm -> 7nm, because that's what they are equivalent to.

Intel 10nm vs Samsung/TSMC 7nm

0r7cJWq.png

Reactions: gg83

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wait, what??? Head on over to Chicago. Some of the toughest gun control laws on the books. Only 78 people shot in one weekend, a few weekends ago. Wonder how many will go down, this weekend, in that utopia of liberal progress...
You should know that one city cannot make up for the actions/mistakes of an entire country by itself. The country as a whole - which is what I was talking about - needs to come together for this.
The NRA has too much power and needs to get knocked down a few pegs.

@shady28
That reminds me, wasn't there talk about changes to the whole single number nm specs?
Like in the chart you posted, instead of 'Intel 10nm', it's going to be 'Intel 54-34-53-36nm' or something like that - I can't remember where I saw this though:
-a TPUp article
-a TH article
-a Gamers' Nexus news article

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
@shady28
That reminds me, wasn't there talk about changes to the whole single number nm specs?
Like in the chart you posted, instead of 'Intel 10nm', it's going to be 'Intel 54-34-53-36nm' or something like that - I can't remember where I saw this though:
-a TPUp article
-a TH article
-a Gamers' Nexus news article

Yep, unfortunately most people just passed over it. It was the result of a study done by some researchers, being engineers they basically don't like how process node tech is reduced to one number that is fairly meaningless. Criticism though, that 3 or 4 number scheme would be meaningless to the consumer.

I see this kind of thing in smaller scale in many areas though. People look for a single, simple thing to describe something. For example, cars. Horsepower. What's the saying, horsepower sells cars but torque wins races?

Anyway, this kind of thing is why so many are 'surprised' at how efficient 14nm still is, it is after all superior to any node short of 7nm. I think the same folks will be "shocked" when 10nm Tiger Lake comes out, provided Intel can get it to work at higher power/frequency. If they can do that, they'll likely dominate the 10-35W laptop space once again (the largest market).

After all, AMD is not using 7nm+ which is the only 7nm TSMC node that is more dense than Intel 10nm, they are using the 2nd gen TSMC 7nm node - which is about 5% less dense than Intel 10nm. What this means is that Intel's 10nm chips are already on a more dense process node than what AMD is shipping on.

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Bottom line is that Intel doesn't need to use the other fabs. What they should probably do is start using TSMCs / GloFlo's marketing standard and rename their processes from 14nm -> 10nm and 10nm -> 7nm, because that's what they are equivalent to.
Indeed. I've been thinking this for a while. Besides, look at that leaked Intel slideshow. The amount of deception and benchmarketing they use, like that one slide where they compare AMD's Ryzen 5/7/9 to Intel's i5/i7/i9, and say it should instead be compared to their i3/i5/i7. So they're not above it, which makes me wonder why. Maybe because people who know about fabrication know that Intel's more dense. But we have someone in the comments here who didn't.

Then again, your average customer doesn't go looking for 10nm products. Maybe their nerdy son does when looking for a laptop for them. Even though 10nm is better, it's had a slew of problems. 7nm is here selling right now, and has been for over a year. 10nm isn't so amazing that it justifies the large time gap, and by the time it's ramped up to full, 5nm will be in full swing, which will be objectively better.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Indeed. I've been thinking this for a while. Besides, look at that leaked Intel slideshow. The amount of deception and benchmarketing they use, like that one slide where they compare AMD's Ryzen 5/7/9 to Intel's i5/i7/i9, and say it should instead be compared to their i3/i5/i7. So they're not above it, which makes me wonder why. Maybe because people who know about fabrication know that Intel's more dense. But we have someone in the comments here who didn't.

Then again, your average customer doesn't go looking for 10nm products. Maybe their nerdy son does when looking for a laptop for them. Even though 10nm is better, it's had a slew of problems. 7nm is here selling right now, and has been for over a year. 10nm isn't so amazing that it justifies the large time gap, and by the time it's ramped up to full, 5nm will be in full swing, which will be objectively better.

Marketing isn't really illegal, but deceptive marketing can be. Thing is, it's the enthusiast space that has over-hyped this particular term - and many go around using / talking about process node like they know. One example is making fun of the '++' on intel's 14nm. Factually 14nm++ is 30% more dense than the original 14nm. They probably should have just called it 10nm instead of 14nm++, except they had already talked about a 10nm node that is completely different from 14nm++ and is really more like 7nm when compared to competition.

So they basically dug themselves a marketing & perception hole.

As far as 5nm, yes that's a good year ahead of Intel and it is currently in production even if product isn't available yet.

That however doesn't matter in terms of AMD vs Intel. AMD has already said they will be using the 7nm+ node on Ryzen 4000. From a density standpoint, that is about the same as Intel 10nm. Level playing field. If Intel can ramp it up, and if TSMC can ramp up their improved 7nm node.

Maybe where the superior node will matter is Apple Silicon vs x86. What if.. it were say 50% higher IPC and similar clocks with lower power on 5nm which no one else has. Imagine getting a low end macbook pro that wipes the floor with a 3900X or 10900K and runs cool. Now that would be a black swan moment for AMD and intel, a real inflection point in the market. IF.

Reactions: attacus
The question readers should be asking themselves is this: What's the long game?

China is a master of the long game. No doubt, this will hurt them in the short term. At best, it could give Trump some negotiating leverage, in trade talks. But those are completely stalled, for now. China will likely wait and see how the US election turns out, before returning to the negotiating table. Even if/when they do, I still don't expect them to cave.

In the long run, I foresee this hurting TSMC, hurting the US tech industry, and only serving to accelerate China's development of its own domestic semiconductor manufacturing capability. On the US side of the ledger, Trump has presided over a widening of the trade deficit than he started with, meanwhile US businesses and consumers have paid billions of dollars to the US Treasury Dept in tariffs (which are just another name for taxes). The US economy has been carried by tax cuts that added trillions of dollars to the federal debt, which we can't keep doing forever. The US is not winning the long game.

China engages in something called salami slicing. They are a series of micro aggressions designed to grab very small portions of land through intimidation tactics.

Cases in point:
  1. India border dispute
  2. Claiming artificial islands extend their territorial waters by hundreds of miles
  3. Claiming small islands clearly declared Japanese and others at the end of WW2
  4. Industrial espionage on a large scale
  5. Intentional currency manipulation so they become lading economic force
  6. Spreading lies about competing nations in 3rd world countries in order to gain unfair trade advantage. Their diplomats intentionally told African countries that the US govt invented AIDs to get rid of black men.
  7. A recent rise in communist terrorist squads burning free press in taiwan.
  8. Legislative action to restrict Tiawan's rights.

All this activity and more is state sponsored and approved. They are corrupt as the day is long. The world needs to get off China's cheap goods teet so we can tell them to get bent.

Its not the people. Its the leadership which is almost like an oligarchy or legalized mafia. I detest and loathe bullies whom abuse their powers. Even India and Vietnam hates them. Thats saying a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: gg83 and shady28

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Can some one please explain to me why Intel does not ask TSMC to make their chips until they can move th 5nm Technology ? intel is badly stuck at 14nm and it is a huge problem for them.

Because it makes zero sense from a financial point of perspective. Intel is selling everything that they can produce. There is no other company on earth that could just pick up that volume. Being stuck on 14nm is having little effect on their bottom line. Idling their 14nm fabs and then paying someone else produce CPU's for them is obviously going to be less profitable than just continuing to pump out 14nm CPU's until they get things figured out.

Reactions: bit_user

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I really want to know how the US was able to stop a Taiwanese company from selling to a Chinese company. They must use a ton of IP owned by US companies. Taiwan also known as Republic of China, I guess isn't part of the Peoples Republic of China? Maybe someone knows more about the political status. Do Western counties do everything they can to prevent Taiwan from becoming part of a communist Country?

That's easy. The US owns the process that allows for smaller scale chips to be produced. It is licensed to companies so that they can manufacture chips. So if they say, you can't sell chips made using any of our processes to China, then the company has two options.

1) They stop selling chips to China until the US says that it is okay to sell to China again.
-or-
2) They stop manufacturing anything smaller than 14nm as the US owns the IP to create anything smaller than 14nm. The only reason you can create 14nm is that the US agreed to a public license for anything 14nm or larger using the current IP for the creation of chips. Oh, and they can't move on to graphene, light, or any other production methods because the US owns those IP as well.

Reactions: gg83 and shady28

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
As for the US, perhaps investment into an Indian market through arms and infrastructure would do. I don't think the Indians would give up on Russian arms, due to proximity, historical ties, procurement of replacement parts, and simple logic of having multiple sources. But they're in dire need of infrastructure, and don't currently hate our guts.

Already happening. Apple demanded Foxconn (Chinese company - they assemble the iPhone) expand a factory in India to build the new iPhones, which they did at cost of ~$1B USD.

I don't know of a whole lot of electronics manufacturing in India yet, but they have been ramping up other types of manufacturing significantly in the past decade. Unlike China, much of it is of indigenous design. Since they pay attention to the laws on IP when I say designed I don't mean ripping off someone else's design and livelihood like China does.

India's population is similar to China, and they respect international laws on IP. This is where the real market potential is.

My other hobby, motorcycling, has a new Indian competitor. A company called Royal Enfield, used to be a British company but long ago became Indian. By all accounts, these bikes are quite good.

Sales - down overall because of covid's impact on the local Indian market, but booming overseas. Note that prior to 2015, they had no overseas presence. They built this out in 5 years. Still a long way to go but progress so far is amazing.

"+22% in ASIA ( China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan), +16.7% in North America (US, Canada and Mexico) and +82% in Europe, with sales booming in the United Kingdom (+221%), actually the second best market in the World, and in all markets, including Germany (+73%), France (+82%), Italy (+24%), Spain (+59).
Although the almost negative local industries trend, Royal Enfield is fast growing in South America as well, with Argentina +269% and Colombia +40%. "

Worth noting that Harley makes most of its Street / Street Rod in India.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
That's easy. The US owns the process that allows for smaller scale chips to be produced. It is licensed to companies so that they can manufacture chips. So if they say, you can't sell chips made using any of our processes to China, then the company has two options.

Intel also owns patents related to FinFet, along with Berkley and IBM.

The foundries (TSMC, Samsung etc) went from 28nm to 20nm without using finfet initially, while Intel went from 22-14nm and implemented finfet. This is also when the foundries started deviating from the norm on their process node naming.

Then the foundries implemented finfet and called it 16/14/12nm. In all reality most foundries 14/16nm nodes are 20nm density + finfet, and their 10nm nodes are about the same as Intel 14nm density.

Point being that in the real world, they really can't efficiently make anything below 28nm without using that IP. They can make it more dense like 20nm did but it will take longer to make. have more defects, and ultimately cost more.

Ref: David Kanter - see statements starting at time 5:45

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtiBEHH7mEA&t=388s

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
You've got it backwards. If Taiwan wanted to be formally part of China, it would happen in a heartbeat. Taiwan is the one that wants to maintain its independence from China, especially after watching the history of Hong Kong, since its handover from the British.

Since you're interested enough to voice an opinion on the matter, I think it'd be well worth your while to spend a few minutes brushing up on Taiwan's history and origins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan
There wasn't an opinion, just a question. And I think I worded it incorrectly. The question was, do western countries work with Taiwan to prevent it from becoming part of China? I did read the wiki before posting my question as well.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Basic freedoms and rights.

If you lived in China and the town bosses decided to put a factory or a condo building where you lived, you'd have no recourse. Protest, and they might throw you in jail. Their legal system is a joke, with defense lawyers themselves being persecuted for even trying to uphold the laws on the books.

Their internet is monitored and censored. Speaking out too many times will land you in jail, without even a public trial. And face recognition is everywhere.

They've had numerous food contamination scandals and lack the worker and environmental protections you enjoy.

And if they don't like your religion and ethnicity, you might be subject to forced sterilization and being locked up in a re-education camp.

Let's say fortune smiles on you and you're a successful businessman, in China. You have to pay to play, but if the political allies you choose fall out of favor, you could get prosecuted for it.

I respect China as an adversary, but I sure wouldn't want to live there. It's probably the closest thing to a real-world 1984, although at least the educated city dwellers seem to have a decent standard of living.

It sure wasn't, 10 years ago, when they had to undergo years of painful austerity to bail out their banks. Everywhere has its problems, some bigger than others. And the nicer the country, the harder it usually is to move there.

Instead of entertaining notions of emigrating that you're not really serious about, I would channel that energy into what little things you can do to make your current home a little better. The problems are big, but enough people pushing in the right directions can make real change.
New China seems to embody the dystopian future they all predicted. What
Intel also owns patents related to FinFet, along with Berkley and IBM.

The foundries (TSMC, Samsung etc) went from 28nm to 20nm without using finfet initially, while Intel went from 22-14nm and implemented finfet. This is also when the foundries started deviating from the norm on their process node naming.

Then the foundries implemented finfet and called it 16/14/12nm. In all reality most foundries 14/16nm nodes are 20nm density + finfet, and their 10nm nodes are about the same as Intel 14nm density.

Point being that in the real world, they really can't efficiently make anything below 28nm without using that IP. They can make it more dense like 20nm did but it will take longer to make. have more defects, and ultimately cost more.

Ref: David Kanter - see statements starting at time 5:45

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtiBEHH7mEA&t=388s
I was gunna ask who specifically owns the process IP. Thank you this post!

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Actually you are factually incorrect. The reason why Taiwan is still free is because there is an American security guarantee treaty for it which states if China invades Taiwan, then the US is treaty bound to defend them. If it were not for the treaty obligation that the US has with Taiwan, Taiwan would have been absorbed by force into the Peoples Republic of China. The US provides a lot of military hardware to Taiwan for exactly this purpose, in the shape of Harpoon anti ship missiles, Cobra helicopters, F-16s and a various assortment of air to air defences.

An interesting wrinkle in the whole aspect, is that if Taiwan officially declares independence, then the US security guarantee is null and void. So Taiwan gets to be autonomous in its politics, policies, democracy, defence, foreign policy (effectively acting as an independent nation) etc as long as they do not declare independence. As some others on the forum have alluded to, it is far more complex a geopolitical situation than most. So China cannot invade Taiwan (unless Taiwan officially declares independence).
Quite aware of the assurance of security - that was made when China couldn't project power much past its nose - those times have changed. At some point China will tire of Taiwan (just as they tired of Hong Kong's calls for independence) and regardless of that treaty, Taiwan will become part of mainland China.

I do not think the Taiwanese would outright declare independence - they also realize that treaty was made long ago with a much different China.

And what would China lose if they did? All of a sudden no more cheap crap made in China, and would take an awful long time to replicate the supply chains and re establish manufacturing elsewhere. China knows that they are basically untouchable. At least with the TPP we had a chance to contain China (somewhat) and strengthen Asian countries (somewhat)

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020

First off - Intel has been shipping 10nm in products since last September/October. The last 14nm Server CPU have shipped (Cooper Lake) and Rocket Lake S (later this year) will be the last 14nm Desktop CPU. Ice Lake SP (Xeon), Tiger Lake and a discrete graphics cards will launch this year. All TSMC has with it's "7nm" is a 10nm class project.

Next year we get Sapphire Rapids with DDR5 and PCIe5 - which will be part of the Exascale computer and will use Xe HPC based on Intel full EUV 7nm - which is more than a match for TSMC "5nm".

Update your talking points - TSMC is a contract producer, they have to aggressively have their marketing touting ever single tiny improvement...Intel is in full production with 10nm+

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I hear you.

Where I try to draw the line is on domestic politics, although I think talking trade policy is somewhat on-topic, here.

I want to see a Constitutional Amendment that states that legal constructs do not have Constitutional rights. Once you do that, corporations, PACs, etc. can no longer claim a 1st Amendment right to make campaign donations or fund other forms of political speech, and then their political activities can be regulated. Because money has corrupted US politics more than anything else.

I hope that's not too controversial. From what I can tell, most people seem to agree with the idea that corporations aren't people, and therefore don't have the same inalienable rights.

True. That's one of those looming disasters that won't get taken seriously until it seriously starts to bite us. Then, it's going to be an incredibly painful and long effort to pay it down, while at the same time having to service high interest rates on it (which we've so far been fortunate not to have).

I didn't say it's impossible. It's not easy, nor something the USA can do alone, but not impossible.

No, my question was what current our long game is. And, if anyone cares to answer that, I wonder just how likely they think it'll be successful.

I credit Trump for having the courage to stand up to China. But it also takes a lot of courage to poke a hornets nest with a medium-length stick. Whether that's a good plan for getting rid of a hornets nest is up for debate, but it's almost certain to get you stung. That's the point, though. It might feel good to see him lash out at China, but what we really need isn't that little dopamine hit - it's a workable plan to re-balance the playing field.

Agree with the comment about Corporate Personhood that stems back to a disastrous Supreme Court ruling - same with Citizen's United and unlimited dark money. Don't care what anyone says - Money is not speech. And while we are at it stop giving tax advantages to moving manufacturing capacity over seas.

Trump has done nothing against China - they were so mad they granted Inanka broad patents. All Trump has done is to create a situation that he can "solve". September surprise - "Trade War with China successfully negotiated by Trump - the Tariffs he imposed brought China to their knees - they became tired of sending $$$ to pay for the tariff's Trump imposed on them" China laughs at him, they know he is a buffoon.

So, according to Trump - Tariffs are placed on the country of origin of products covered by the tariff - instead of the correct understanding is that WE the consumers pay for those tariffs. And if he really wanted to stick it to China, then the TPP would have not been scrapped - it was quite Anti China / Pro Pac Rim countries.

As far as our long game - could not agree with you more - every other single industrial country has an Industrial Policy - we have nothing. China does 1-3-5 year plans and then executes. This deficit in policy goes way back. Looking at what Germany has would be a start. Was not needed since in the aftermath of WW2 - most of the rest of the world's industrial capacity was destroyed - and we still have policies that make that assumption.

Reactions: bit_user

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Their pride? You know, like how they are so stubborn with dropping the prices on their cpus, even though AMD has very competitive options?
Cpus from like 10 years ago still have close to their original retail price.
Ridiculous straw man. CPUs from 10 years have the same price, due to the fact they are becoming scarce, and for some customers, they are locked into those CPUs. Pretty sure you can still find DDR2 - and would probably not be cheap.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually you are factually incorrect. The reason why Taiwan is still free is because there is an American security guarantee treaty for it which states if China invades Taiwan, then the US is treaty bound to defend them.
Your fact-check needs a fact-check. The Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty was terminated 40 years ago.

It got scrapped around the time the US ceased even officially recognizing Taiwan.

Now, one can argue what might or might not have happened prior to that time, had the Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty not been in place, but if the Korean war didn't teach the US it couldn't win a land war with China, certainly China's acquisition of nukes (1964) would've put an end to such fantasies.

The US provides a lot of military hardware to Taiwan for exactly this purpose, in the shape of Harpoon anti ship missiles, Cobra helicopters, F-16s and a various assortment of air to air defences.
That's just called good business, son.

And I'd argue that Taiwan's defenses were never (realistically) about the military defeat of an invading force from the mainland, but simply trying to make the endeavor too costly. I think that deterrence has largely worn off, though I still don't expect China to go into Taiwan with guns blazing.

China cannot invade Taiwan (unless Taiwan officially declares independence).
China can do whatever it pleases. The only thing keeping them from waltzing into Taiwan is concerns over global public relations, and the fear of more economic sanctions being imposed on it. However, as Xi Jinping seems to regard it as a crowning achievement that would cement his legacy, I think he'll try to find some way in.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have to make an environment in which people want to work there. Does someone like Jim Keller want to come work for China?
China certainly has the talent, the money, and the motivation. They'll get there, in time.

US sucks at the long game because the 4 year limit leads to political point-scoring. But the US' plan has and continues to be to have China be in the "lower" levels of manufacturing. Testing and making the products, but not designing them.
Your mistake is to assume that anyone is really looking out for the long-term interests of the US tech workforce. Big tech can and does locate design centers wherever there's talent and it's either cheap or subsidized. So, tech CEOs and investors don't really care what happens to the US tech worker. They'd be happy to employ more US tech workers, but they want them to be cheaper, more plentiful, and more easily exploitable. That's why they're trying to funnel all the kids into STEM education.

And most politicians don't really know or care. They're mostly captured by industry lobbyists and Wall St. economists, who keep banging the drum of free trade. Free trade has certainly been good for multinational corporations, but not necessarily the US workforce. Most politicians are trained as lawyers - not real business people, engineers, mathematicians, or even economists. So, they keep hearing the same chorus about free trade and don't have the intellectual tools to know when to call BS.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree on everything except for crediting Trump. What he did was not really a smart move. What benefit do you get out of poking the hornet's nest?
You seem to get my point. He had the will, but not a very good plan, it seems. Hardly surprising.

His efforts should be graded by their end result. So far, the best that can be said is that it's incomplete. And not without costs, as many of the US agricultural producers could certainly tell you.

China is trying to become more independent of us, and take over world media - for example, Tencent, a giant Chinese video games corp has been buying up lots of development studios, IPs, shares in dev companies, etc.
Well, what about China's boycott of the NBA, when that Houston Rockets coach tweeted something mildly supportive of the Honk Kong protestors? They are intent on keeping celebrities and entertainment companies from speaking out.

And China is such a big market for movies and other content... which are mostly produced by studios owned by the same parent companies that own most of the big US news networks. So, it's only a matter of time before (if it's not quietly happening, already) China starts using that as leverage to keep negative news about it from getting reported in the US media.

So, hooray for media consolidation! We're just making it too easy for them.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If we measure these purely by transistor density, then here are a few facts :
I believe Intel doesn't have just one 10 nm. I think the only one they've shipped in volume has been their lowest-density variant, which I think I read was either less dense or comparable to TSMC's 1st gen 7 nm.

Based on this pattern, I think we can expect that Intel 7nm will match or beat the others "5nm" process nodes.
If Intel's 7 nm is as late and problematic as their 10 nm has been, it won't matter.

I'm not counting Intel out, but they've really lost a lot of credibility.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I agree on everything except for crediting Trump. What he did was not really a smart move. What benefit do you get out of poking the hornet's nest? Nothing, except getting the hornets riled up. But whatever. The big problem is that China has some advantages - one of them being that because of their system of government (I am NOT praising them here tho), they can make lots of change and carry out policies to the end. Here, whether or not you agree with Trump, if someone else takes over, they will undo his "progress", and start another path to figure out what to do about China. And of course, China is trying to become more independent of us, and take over world media - for example, Tencent, a giant Chinese video games corp has been buying up lots of development studios, IPs, shares in dev companies, etc.
I have been to Chengdu twice
I believe Intel doesn't have just one 10 nm. I think the only one they've shipped in volume has been their lowest-density variant, which I think I read was either less dense or comparable to TSMC's 1st gen 7 nm.

If Intel's 7 nm is as late and problematic as their 10 nm has been, it won't matter.

I'm not counting Intel out, but they've really lost a lot of credibility.
Intel 10nm (Ice Lake) is ~2x density increase - they attempted 2.7x in a first gen on a new process. and that is what bit them on the butt. 10nm+ (Tiger Lake) reaches that 2.7x density - along with the "transistor optimizations" that is part of Willow Cove.

Nah they haven't lost credibility - still the dominant player, still maintaining market share - 10nm initially was a screw up - but If you look at TSMC - they have luckily gotten something right, which is counter to their history. When Ice Lake SP drops - it will sell as fast as they can be produced - 2S is the meat and potatoes. Intel doesn't measure it's credibility based on forum posts.

Sapphire Rapids is next year - reunifies the Xeon line from 1S to 8S - 10nm - Sapphire Rapids will be going into the Exascale system along with it's Xe HPC - Xe HPC is the first product in the Full EUV 7nm - and no reason whatsoever to think that it will be delayed (after Xe HPC then there will be a shrink of Alder Lake to Meteor Lake and a shrink from Sapphire Rapids to Granite Rapids)- it was developed independently from 10nm and the shortness of the 10nm node is because Full EUV 7nm is on track. Also don't confuse having a few EUV layers as being EUV - Full EUV in Intel's process will be all layers, and combined with the M0/M1 cobalt layers - pretty well takes that "crown" back.

Good catch on the abrogation of the Treaty protecting Taiwan - slipped my mind completely.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
China certainly has the talent, the money, and the motivation. They'll get there, in time.

I disagree with that. China might get close to parity in some things, but not in the way you think.

I've seen instances where entrepreneurs had a great idea, went to a Chinese manufacturer to have their idea turned into a physical product, and before their first product rolled off the line a clone was already shipping. Even the big western corporations typically don't bother to take these manufacturers to court, and when they do it's typically fruitless. They shut one down only to have them pop up somewhere else. Chasing Chinese shell companies is a waste of resources.

In that environment, what incentive is there to do anything but rip other people and companies off?

Also logical fallacy repeated here a bunch is the 'lots of people with skill' argument. China's population did not just appear out of nowhere over the last 10 years. They've always had a lot of people, and many of those people have always been skilled and intelligent.

The problem is fundamental, it takes more than quantity of bodies and brains to innovate. If that is all it took then China would have dominated the world 2000 years ago. They simply do not have the culture or environment that would develop and encourage creativity and innovation. They are great reverse engineers yes, but reverse engineering is a just a job.

Reactions: nightsc
Status
Not open for further replies.