Question TUF RTX 3080 won't run at constant speed at low RPMs ?

jokepoke69

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Hello people, I have bit of situation. Just installed a TUF RTX 3080 and the card refuses to run at constant speed (30%), instead the fans keep turning on and off which I believe is the worst thing for their longevity. I don't like 0 RPM mode as when the fans ramp up you can really notice it when while they are running at low speed and then ramp up it's way better it feels better noise-wise.

My previous MSI card would run at 30% no issues.

Tried
- switching between Quiet and Performance bios,
- fiddling with variable speeds if it changes anything
- flashing the card
- DDU and reinstalling Afterburner
- tried different software (ASUS one)

No luck, the fans just go to 300 RPM (one or two of them) then 0, then 700, then 0 every 1-2 seconds I am pretty sure this is not good for the fans. Anything I can try?

Thanks

Last edited:

jokepoke69

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
uninstall afterburner and eventually other tools from ASUS or similar

update the bios of the motherboard and if available from the 3080

which psu are you using?
I've done that. Uninstalled all the tools, flashed the VBIOS, mobo was already on it's latest no change. Even contacted ASUS if this is normal behavior and the response was kinda chaotic like from a script, they went on about the 0 RPM mode which wasn't even my question, you should be able to just make a curve where the fans run at certain speed given the temp, the card is not able to do that as fans turn on and off constantly (It works during higher temps as the fans just have to spin all the time in order to cool the card but at lower speeds nope, ON/OFF/ON/OFF every 2 seconds). Waiting for another response.

Using Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W.

jokepoke69

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
the fans have to get a startup ramp at the beginning and then to e.g. 33% to run and not stop again
try fan curves with a bit higher rpms than you just tried
Yes they kick in above 30% which would be perfectly fine for me, however they turn on, then off, cycle they are not constantly running.

Ooh now it's different. Tried higher RPMs (40%) as you suggested, now two of the fans spin all the time around the same speed when slowing down every 5 seconds and the third fan is still the same ON/OFF ON/OFF every 2 seconds.

🤔

update
45% seems to be the treshold, under they keep turning ON and OFF but at 45% they run constantly I am gonna leave it at that. Believe that's better for the fans then constant turning on and off.

Thank you! I've tried fiddling with the speeds but in kinda different way. Still it's weird to me that the card is just not able to run at 30% or even 35% like my previous MSI card did.

Last edited:
Reactions: helpstar