Turion 64 Ml 37 or Core Duo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
LOL

Kinda makes ya feel like being a pile of cow dung in the middle of a field fighting off flies doesn't it? LOL (not being negative, just being funny) :mrgreen:

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
When will that arrive?
[fanboyism]And anyway,hopes are low,it's a Turion for God's sake! [/fanboyism]
I doubt it will beat the Duo,in fact i doubt it will match its performance though looking forward to hearing from this one.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
I concur. 64 bit is a bit ahead of its time.
If 64 bit would have been vital right now you might have seen it implemented in Intel chips too.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Vista has both 32 and 64 bit flavors. I have both of them running in dual boot. 8)

64-bit isn't going to matter for at least another 2 years so don't say, "Oh it doesn't have 64-bit so it sucks." We've had 64-bit ability for what, three years now? Yeah theres so many 64-bit apps out there now....
Lets see....XP Pro x64.....Server 03 x64....oh yeah and Far Cry. Now of course the 64-bit versions of XP and Vista support 32-bit apps so theres no problem in using them. But the point is that 64-bit is still not a necessity and won't be still for a good while.

I love AMD. The Turion is not a piece of crap either.

Its not quite as good as the Pentium M in terms of power consumption but its not far off. But the Core Duo is one hell of a processor. A 2GHz Core Duo is at least as good as an Athlon X2 3800+. Hell look at some of the tests where people OCed Pentium Ms to 2.5GHz on a desktop platform. They outdid the Athlon64 4000+.

I say get the Core Duo. You won't be disappointed.

Oh and as far as whether the unit has the fix for the power consumption, I'm guessing so since this is a shipping unit. And its more like 3-4 hours when not doing anything. I was wrong before. Browsing the net it dropped down to 3 hours. I'd say you'd be good for 2 and a half hours watching a DVD.

kknd1967

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Go with Core Duo. Most likely the best choice till Merom comes out.

Turion is good. Yet its chipsets are not as good as Centrino platform (That is why AMD is working on Yamato platform). Plus the 64bit computing is meaningless for mobile world in the near future. Even current A64 motherboards does not support that much ram. Plus Vista will have both 32bit/64bit versions.

As for Turion X2, don't put a big expectation on it. Low voltage (1.075-1.125v) means not so good performance and high cost (to AMD at least). No such indepdent power management for each core as Core-duo either. Here is a preview of it:
Turion X2 benchmark preview

Note the 523 score for Turion X2 2.0G is via a very optimistic linear interpolation

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Yep you said a 30% improvement of AM2(i mentioned with DDR2 800 cause you mentioned that too). As it is now a fully functional AM2 chip has a 3-5% performance per clock lead with DDR2 800.
And stop insulting fanboy. I understand that you lack control over yourself but try harder not to look like a flammin' good for nothing.

OK. This is what I've said:
AM2 looks to be a promissing chip.

DDR2-800 will give these CPU's a 10% improvement in performance. Let's not forget about the new SOI process which AMD and IBM stated that it will increases transistor performance up to 20% on 90nm and 40% on 65nm. With all these improvements (and who knows what other tweaks), AM2 will boost a total of 30% improvement which will rival Intel's Conroe "supposed" 20% advantage over current AMD processors

...And here's the link:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=178002&highlight=

Once again, you prove your self to be an @sshole. 8)

I concur. 64 bit is a bit ahead of its time.
If 64 bit would have been vital right now you might have seen it implemented in Intel chips too.
It's easy to say that when the competition lacks these kind of features. 8)

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
When will that arrive?
[fanboyism]And anyway,hopes are low,it's a Turion for God's sake! [/fanboyism]
I doubt it will beat the Duo,in fact i doubt it will match its performance though looking forward to hearing from this one.

Comparing similiar processors from each manufacturer isnt fanboyism its common sense!

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
didnt read all the posts but intel pwns in laptops i dunno about turion x2 but the intel laptop chips are better than the amd laptop chips, this si if your laptop will be for work purposes

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Hey 9-Inch, so overall 30% AM2 improvement. That's what you said.
Once again you proved that you're an AMD twat AND a flammin' good for nothing. And you should learn to read. I didn't state that you mentioned that the reason for 30% is mainly from DDR2 800mhz.
Keep flamming. I don't bash people that already have been bashed by god(pretty bad too). Hey earth to kid,AM2+DDR2 800 will bring 3-5% improvement over 939 DDR so were is the 30% you were talking about?
Why ain't i seeing major increases in performance. Well because you are spouting nonsense in every post.

Ignorance is bliss,not for me,but for all the people who have to put up with you and your stupidity.

You can spam wherever you want. People are smart enough NOT to listen to your obvious BS.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Comparion of 2 AMD Turions, both with all identical specs.... except power usage:

Turion ML-37, 35W, 2.0 GHz, 1 MB

Turion MT-37, 25W, 2.0 GHz, 1 MB

The MT-37 can extend battery life by 25% - 40% (the heavier the load the more it extends battery life) when compared to the Turion ML-37