Turion X2s Announced

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Well, the Turion X2s are finally announced. Up to now I've been consistantly hearing people say any advantage Intel has with the Pentium M and Core Duo will slip away once the dual core Turions arrive. However, based on the processors being released I seriously doubt AMD will have a decided advantage in either performance or power consumption.

The Turion X2s won't be released until May and the fastest will only be 2GHz. This will of course have to compete against the faster clocked 2.16GHz and 2.33GHz Core Duos. Not only that, all the Turion X2s have their L2 cache reduced to 2x512k instead of having 2x1MB cache models available. This will further make it difficult for the Turion X2 to have an outright performance advantage. There's no word on DDR2 or dual channel support yet so I suppose those features could make things more competitive.

On the power side of things, AMD appears to simply be binning for lower voltage to control power consumption. The Turion X2 will not be able to independantly control power usuage of the different cores so even in a single threaded environment both cores will be using the same amount of power instead of sleeping one core as Yonah can do. We'll have to see if AMD's manufacturing process can make up the difference.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30020

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That's just the first round, those are AFAIK going to be on the new Socket S1 which is rumored to use DDR2 Dual Channel.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time