peter

I'm not sure how I did it, but I seem to have turned on some sort of
folder animation; in the left-hand pane appear animated representations
of the folder's properties and other assorted whatnot. How do I turn
this off?

Thanks!

Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop?

Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /i shell32 | Click OK |
Restart Windows.

From...
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Or go here:

After reading the instructions.
Scroll down to:
15. Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop

Or....
XP_CommonTasks.exe - Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
© Doug Knox - 5/04/2003
This application will correct the Registry setting that causes the Common
Tasks pane to appear on

the Windows XP Desktop.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:vuedncxYPNpnUb3eRVn-hA@speakeasy.net,
Peter <usenet@ointment.org> hunted and pecked:
> I'm not sure how I did it, but I seem to have turned on some sort of
> folder animation; in the left-hand pane appear animated representations
> of the folder's properties and other assorted whatnot. How do I turn
> this off?
>
> Thanks!

Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\General\Tasks\Show common tasks in folders then Apply

--
Peter