TV as primary output ???

G

I was wondering if any of the TV-Out Cards could use a TV as the primary output.(Computer can boot up with TV as primary output without any other display). If there isn't any, is there a tv box which I can be connect to my present video card output and through it to my TV. Please reccommend a solution with a fairly acceptable text output on normal TV with s-video input.

G

Hello
My ATI AIW 128 does this. But text is only readable in 640x480 , not good for any working, only good for gaming and DVDing.
/gabbe

G

Heyy.... thanks for info info gabbe. u said tat at 640 x 480 text is readable...but not good for any working.... mmmmm...meaning text isn't very legible..??? I dun mind running it at 640/480.. so would u reccommend the AIW to view text ....??? Has anybody tried the Matrox G450 with tv as a primary output....????

mpjesse

Splendid
I've tried doing TV output with an old ass NVidia RIVA 128- it sucks, couldn't get past 640x480. It's kinda cool to use it at parties and put some psychadelic 3d crap on the TV.

-MP Jesse

-MP Jesse

G

I have a Hercules Prophet 2 pro and can do exactly what you're talking about. You do initially need a monitor to set it up but after that you don't need one. All you do is set it to display to tv and from that point you can restart everytime to the tv out. Obviously the system can't display to tv in dos so you won't see any of the boot up procedure but when the computer boots to windows it displays to tv.

G

With what you said in your post, are you saying that you cannot make a decent TV output with a NVidia RIVA 128? Does this include the graphics engine on ASUS AGP-V3800 Ultra Deluxe?

I am planning to buy the ASUS AGP-V3800 Ultra Deluxe with TV-out so that I can watch DVD from my computer (Tbird 800 on an A7V). If you say that it sucks, then probably you would be kind to provide me with an alternative to the V3800 and still enjoy 3D gaming and DVD? Thanks!

mpjesse

Splendid
Is that Asus V3800 based on the Riva 128 chipset? There is nothing wrong with the TV output with any Riva 128 based card. The only problem is you can't achieve resolutions higher than 640x480. If you want to watch DVD- that's not a problem at all since TV's are at a resolution close to 640x480 anyways. However, there are many TV out cards on the market that can do games WAY faster than the Riva 128- like the ATi Raedon or even the GeForce/GeForce2 chipsets. I'd recommend one of those cards with TV-Out. The Riva 128 is outdated- by like 3 or so years.

-MP Jesse

G

The ASUS V3800 is based on a RivaTNT2 Ultra. I think it says in the specs that it is a nVidia Riva TNT2 128-bit 3D graphics and Video Accelerator.

Since you told me that, I think I'll get an ASUS AGP-7100/T Geforce2 MX with TV-out. What do you think about this? Is this OK for DVD playback and 3D games?