TV screen discoloured - help please!

Origosoh

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Hi,

Bit of a weird one (to me anyway). 10 year old Philips 37" LCD, currently being used as a PC monitor, suddenly suffered screen discolouration...first of all colours seemed off, then everything darkened and there was a large area on the right where everything was obscured (but white/grey, not black).

Turned PC off, the white patch remained on the TV's blue standby screen (ruling out PC problem). Turned TV on & off via switch on side, turned PC back on, same problem. Then switched everything off at the plug (while TV on), there was a 'pop' sound, then switched back on and suddenly all working again, though no idea how long for.

Any ideas on possible cause would be greatly appreciated...do I rush out asap and buy a new TV, or is it something that could have been a one-off for some weird reason? Leaving it on for now to see if same thing happens. I'm not at all technical, but thought I'd ask those who may have more of an idea than me!

Thanks for reading.

Solution
The actual picture/display components and circuitry are probably the same whether the signal input is analog (via aerial) or digital via PC.

Try using the "monitor/TV" via a laptop in lieu of the normal laptop screen. The objective is to determine if the TV's display capabilities are working independently of the use as either a TV or a monitor.

Origosoh

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Origosoh : "TV screen discolouration, help please!"

Hi,

Bit of a weird one (to me anyway). 10 year old Philips 37" LCD, currently being used as a PC monitor, suddenly suffered screen discolouration...first of all colours seemed off, then everything darkened and there was a large area on the right where everything was obscured (but white/grey, not black).

Turned PC off, the white patch remained on the TV's blue standby screen (ruling out PC problem). Turned TV on & off via switch on side, turned PC back on, same problem. Then switched everything off at the plug (while TV on), there was a 'pop' sound, then switched back on and suddenly all working again, though no idea how long for.

Any ideas on possible cause would be greatly appreciated...do I rush out asap and buy a new TV, or is it something that could have been a one-off for some weird reason? Leaving it on for now to see if same thing happens. I'm not at all technical, but thought I'd ask those who may have more of an idea than me!

Thanks for reading.

Ralston18

Titan
Well I would not necessarily rush out and purchase a new TV.

However, a 10 year old TV is certainly likely to start having some problems. For the most part the diagnostic options are just as likely to be limited.

Do some troubleshooting first: check all connections, swap out the connecting cables with other known working cables.

Narrow down as much as possible.

Use the TV as a TV to see what happens. Try another TV/monitor with your PC and determine if the problem follows the TV or the PC.

Origosoh

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Thanks. All cables are fine, and problem was still there even after turning PC off, with discolouration to the usual blue screen, so assuming the issue was with TV. Can't try using it as a TV, as no aerial connection anywhere upstairs, and bit of a pointless test as I don't use it as a TV, has been used exclusively as a monitor for over 2 years now. Just thought I'd post in case the issue instantly sounded familiar to anyone, but seems not...thanks for reply anyway.

Ralston18

Titan
The actual picture/display components and circuitry are probably the same whether the signal input is analog (via aerial) or digital via PC.

Try using the "monitor/TV" via a laptop in lieu of the normal laptop screen. The objective is to determine if the TV's display capabilities are working independently of the use as either a TV or a monitor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS