atwooddav

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I was thinking of buying a TV tuner cards until I found out that whatever I get, it will only pick up free and unencrypted channels. I was hoping it would be able to deliver my entire Directv line-up. Granted, I haven't done that much searching. So if anybody knows if it's possible to get all my premium channels on the computer, please put forward your suggestions. Perhaps starting with a specific tuner designed for Directv. I'm not looking to browse the guide or look at a show's description like a set-top box allows, but I would like to get every channel I'm paying for. I don't see why I should have to get an additional box to keep from being confined to the living room for TV (computer is in the bedroom).

Thank you

Solution
You have to use a capture card instead of a tuner card and tune the channels with your DirectTV box, sadly there are no cards that can tune DirectTV channels.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
No problem. If you go the capture card route I've seen some posts here about something called an IR Blaster that will let you use your remotes functions with the PC. I think you can use that and some software to set timers and records and all that cool stuff but I never used it myself.

DALLASHP

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I added directv today to my HP Touchsmart 600 with the built in TV tuner and it works great. I use the Directv remote and get how ever many channels come with this packages plus the premiun.

The only drawback is the guid eon the Touchsmart no longer shows the correct lineup.. but I can easily use the lineup for the Directv instead. It also still records the shows i want.

cybrpolo

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

Glad to hear you have Directv on your own system. Can you tell me which conection did you use, the RCA or the RF (coaxial)? Ask you this because my Directv box (L14) only have RCA output and the tv capture card I buyed (Advantek ATV Tuner FM2) doesn't get this kind of signal. Testing with another type of Directv box (L22) with both RCA and RF (coaxial) outputs do wel l with the second one. Can you (or anybody else here in the forum) help me? Thanks so much in advance!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Assuming the following:

This is your DirecTV set top box:
6920018208_7f765269ee.jpg

And this is your Capture Card:
atvtunerfm2_large.jpg

Then your set top box should have come with a breakout cable for the A/V out port. This cable should have either S-Video or Composite - RCA connectors, if not both. In this case, S-Video would be the preferred choice.

-Wolf sends