[SOLVED] two fans on top in nzxt h510 elite

Nov 11, 2021
hey i wanted to ask that there were 2 fans that came with my nzxt elite, and similar two fans came with my kraken aio cooler. now i have attached one of the cooler fans on top of the nzxt elite case the other one is useless though. so can i put that fan in the top as well between the space of the top fan and the radiator at the front ? or will i be just creating unnecessary problems for myself in order to just make it look cool with the rgb fans.

Solution
My understanding of OP's proposal is that the case comes with two fans, and there are two places to locate them. (That ignores the front panel and the AIO rad being mounted there.) One of those obviously mounts in the REAR panel near the top. The question seems to be whether or not to mount the last fan in the EXISTING opening in the TOP panel near the rear. That does not require any new holes, large or small.
Here's what I gathered from the OP:
So, H510 Elite. We know that one is preinstalled with 2 140mm fans at the front. The chassis supports up to 140mm(top) and 120mm only at the rear.

They have a Kraken AIO. The size is not specified, but from the following statement:
hey i wanted to ask that there were 2 fans that...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to include an image of the innards and you're going to have to elaborate on your endeavor with the fans. I'm trying to assume what you're trying to say but it's better to have a clearer picture. Are the fans inside the case or are you referring to mounting them outside the case?

Specs to your build? As it stands, the case is bad in terms of airflow so if you tamper with the already imperfect setup, you're going to see negative results.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The website for that case indicates that there are four possible fan locations. Two are the front panel, and used for EITHER a pair of intake fans if you are using a heatsink style CPU cooler, OR a radiator if you have an AIO system. You have an AIO system. Then there is ONE location at upper REAR for an exhaust fan, and a fourth location at TOP near the rear for another exhaust fan. It does NOT show any location in the top near the FRONT, so I'm not sure I understand our query.

MAYBE you mean to say that the one already installed is the upper REAR, and you are asking about that fourth spot in the TOP panel of the case. The manual for the case suggests in its diagrams that, for your situation, you do NOT install that second fan in the top panel near the rear. However, that is an option. Doing that may increase overall air flow potential slightly. However, it also will likely create a negative pressure situation. That is, the air flow capacity of the two exhaust fans near the rear will exceed the capacity of the two front fans on the radiator, because the rad itself impedes air flow in by a small amount. That means that the net air pressure inside your case will be less than outside, so at any leakage points air will flow INTO the case and may carry dust inside. There are ways to reduce this pressure imbalance. If you want details, post back here. OR, you may not think that is an item to worry about, so you could just ignore it.

Nov 11, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to include an image of the innards and you're going to have to elaborate on your endeavor with the fans. I'm trying to assume what you're trying to say but it's better to have a clearer picture. Are the fans inside the case or are you referring to mounting them outside the case?

Specs to your build? As it stands, the case is bad in terms of airflow so if you tamper with the already imperfect setup, you're going to see negative results.

I highlighted the space where I am trying to put the fan. There is no given space for it. I can make srew space in the top of the cabin or maybe double tape the fan to the top. Just wanna know am I crazy for doin that 😂

The link is not my PC but it is almost similar mine just doesn't has a graphic card as of now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQ5k4yCnfHPq_y3WcudcYWjvy_niiHS3/view?usp=drivesdk

Nov 11, 2021

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's that supposed to do, besides hold it up against a wall?
If there's no holes for air, no ventilation backing it, then it has no utility. It just looks pretty.

My issue is that wall you want to put the fan against, and not actually putting the fan up there.
DIY some holes up there so the fan can BREATHE.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My understanding of OP's proposal is that the case comes with two fans, and there are two places to locate them. (That ignores the front panel and the AIO rad being mounted there.) One of those obviously mounts in the REAR panel near the top. The question seems to be whether or not to mount the last fan in the EXISTING opening in the TOP panel near the rear. That does not require any new holes, large or small.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, H510 Elite. We know that one is preinstalled with 2 140mm fans at the front. The chassis supports up to 140mm(top) and 120mm only at the rear.

They have a Kraken AIO. The size is not specified, but from the following statement:
hey i wanted to ask that there were 2 fans that came with my nzxt elite, and similar two fans came with my kraken aio cooler. now i have attached one of the cooler fans on top of the nzxt elite case the other one is useless though.
It must've been one of the 280mm models, because the rear doesn't support 140mm fans.

Combined with the inserted google drive pic, I came to the conclusion:
OP has a Kraken 280mm radiator installed up front. They did not remove the preinstalled 140mm chassis fans.
They took the fans from the 280mm AIO and installed one at the top. The 2nd one is useless because the rear doesn't support that size.
So their idea is to take that 2nd fan and instead install it in the empty space between the radiator and the 140mm fan that was installed at the top.
The panel is solid right there. There's no ventilation.

It's not like the idea isn't doable, it's just not practical without some DIY elbow grease.

Solution
Nov 11, 2021

hey i wanted to ask that there were 2 fans that came with my nzxt elite, and similar two fans came with my kraken aio cooler. now i have attached one of the cooler fans on top of the nzxt elite case the other one is useless though.
It must've been one of the 280mm models, because the rear doesn't support 140mm fans.

Combined with the inserted google drive pic, I came to the conclusion:
OP has a Kraken 280mm radiator installed up front. They did not remove the preinstalled 140mm chassis fans.
They took the fans from the 280mm AIO and installed one at the top. The 2nd one is useless because the rear doesn't support that size.
So their idea is to take that 2nd fan and instead install it in the empty space between the radiator and the 140mm fan that was installed at the top.
The panel is solid right there. There's no ventilation.

It's not like the idea isn't doable, it's just not practical without some DIY elbow grease.
Yes exactly you got it correct, I mean the second fan of the aio is useless and cannot be fitted in rear because that area requires a smaller fan . So the second fan that came with my kraken aio is useless.

I completely understand that if I place a fan there it would be completely useless as there is no way for air to go out. But I already have enough fans for that I guess . I just want the last fan to go up there for the rgb that it has which enhances the look of the PC.

However as many people here told to make diy ventilation and screw holes , I would love to do that but it's just that I'm scared that I might ruin the case as it's metal so won't be easy digging holes however any suggestions on how to do it are welcome ...

Also one fear that I had is that even if I am finally able to place a fan there then it toches the radiator still . Is there a possibility that the vibration created by the fan can be fatal for the working of the radiator in long term considering it's continuously undergoing vibration caused by the fan touching it.

For any one who still needs my full configuration ...

Nzxt h510 elite case
Gigabyte us ac 570 pro wifi
Intel i9 10900k
Kraken aio x63 rgb 280mm
Corsair vengeance ram rgb 16gb
Corsair rm 850 psu

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ah, I did misunderstand. OP has an extra fan from the AIO rad he wants to install solely for the LIGHT ring. There really is no need for the extra air flow of a fan. So, you could just drill a few holes for screws in the top panel to match the mounting holes of that fan. Do this with the case EMPTY before assembling much, so you can safely remove ALL the tiny metal fragments created. Mount the fan up there with the light ring pointed down. Now, that fan has TWO cables. One ends in a smaller female fan conector with four holes, and a couple of ridges running down one side. That is for the fan MOTOR. Just do NOT plug it in anywhere. The other cable has a larger connector for the LIGHTS only, and it plugs into the lighting header of your mobo, the same as other lighted fans in your system. You might need a lighting Splitter to connect several lighting cables from your fans to a single mobo header. Then you'll have the extra lights you want, but not the xtra fan you do not need, and you won't have to do substantial case modifications.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The bottom line, TLDR, or at the end of the day: the idea isn't practical. That's it.
If you don't want to do any drilling, but want to do it for the looks and sate your curiosity, go ahead.

Is there a possibility that the vibration created by the fan can be fatal for the working of the radiator...
A radiator doesn't have moving parts, except the AIOs with their pump in the radiator. A Kraken X63 isn't one of those, so that's a non-issue.