Question Two sets of 2 x 32gb ram instead of 128gb kit

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hello, I tried searching but couldn't really get a clear answer.

Unfortunately store is all sold out of the 128gb kits and my friend's bday is in a couple days.

Can I use 2 sets of a 2 x 32gb kit if the CL stuff on the label match? Or should it be same brand as well (because there's only 1 in stock for 2 brands lol). Idk if this still counts as mix and match.

Will still let her take advantage of dual channel and all that jazz if it's not same brand? She does video editing so I don't wanna ruin her day if it doesn't :/

I'm looking at 3200mhz CL16 DDR4...dunno if I need higher mhz.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Solution
Ah so still no guarantee, gotcha. I'll just place an order for the 128 kit then and give to her after her bday to avoid the risk.

She does a lot of video editing from youtube to tiktok videos...also is a heavy Blender user, and has things often running in the background like wallpaper engine, other apps, sometimes games are alt tabbed, she does do a ton of gaming and streaming too. Currently she's running 16gb...is the 128 overkill?

She has a Ryzen 7 not sure exactly what model, and a 1660 super which will be replaced by someone else getting her a gpu (I think a 3060ti/3070 as a gift).
Almost certainly 64GB is all she needs.

16GB is indeed too little, but 128GB is probably overkill.
I also do a lot of CAD and video, and just...

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Why the need for 128GB?
What will this system be doing?

Ah so still no guarantee, gotcha. I'll just place an order for the 128 kit then and give to her after her bday to avoid the risk.

She does a lot of video editing from youtube to tiktok videos...also is a heavy Blender user, and has things often running in the background like wallpaper engine, other apps, sometimes games are alt tabbed, she does do a ton of gaming and streaming too. Currently she's running 16gb...is the 128 overkill?

She has a Ryzen 7 not sure exactly what model, and a 1660 super which will be replaced by someone else getting her a gpu (I think a 3060ti/3070 as a gift).

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

USAFRet

Titan

I also do a lot of CAD and video, and just moved from 32GB to 64GB.

Solution

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

I also do a lot of CAD and video, and just moved from 32GB to 64GB.

Ah that's great to know. I can budget then for a better keyboard (idk how she uses a keyboard with zero macros lol) and stick to 64gb. As always USAFRet, thank you your help :)

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
Puget Systems suggests 32GB RAM in Adobe Premiere Pro for editing 1080p, 64GB for 4K video and 128GB for 6K/8K. DaVinci Resolve has similar requirements. If your friend is not editing 4K, she might get away with 32GB. Best bet is a pair of DIMMs, not two pairs (4 DIMMs) if she wants to overclock the memory.

If in doubt, more memory is better for video editing, but too much is a waste of money. A fast GPU is also needed in some programs to take the load off the CPU. Nvidia tends to be best with some programs.

Reactions: Umeed

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Puget Systems suggests 32GB RAM in Adobe Premiere Pro for editing 1080p, 64GB for 4K video and 128GB for 6K/8K. DaVinci Resolve has similar requirements. If your friend is not editing 4K, she might get away with 32GB. Best bet is a pair of DIMMs, not two pairs (4 DIMMs) if she wants to overclock the memory.

If in doubt, more memory is better for video editing, but too much is a waste of money. A fast GPU is also needed in some programs to take the load off the CPU. Nvidia tends to be best with some programs.
Ouuu solid information thank you! 64gb is the best bet then as she does do 4K editing every now and then. She loved her gift, thanks everyone for your help!