[SOLVED] Two vastly different graphics cards. No CF/SLI but can I get the video output?

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018
I want to have a TV-PORT output from my main computer, but I do not want to switch my graphics card to an older one. I was going to look into getting a newer motherboard that could support two PCI-E graphics card slots, but it seems a little hazy as to what will and wont work. I have an old nvidia TV port card laying around, but my current system is AMD.

My current (and main) graphics card is the Radeon RX 460
The card I intend to have purely for the tv-port video output, I am pretty sure, is the Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS 256mb

Do you guys have any advice on what kind of motherboard to get or even if this would work at all?

My computer specs:
Current Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
Processor: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core, 3800Mhz
Installed physical memory (RAM): 16.0GB

hmm, maybe the TV-Port is a little obscure? It is basically Composite, Component,
and S-Video all bundled into one PS2-sized port (only one is usable at a given time):
TVPort.jpg

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018
I plan on mainly using the component, but our TV is full screen, and locks to widescreen mode when receiving component, so I would like to be able to use composite (or s-video) sometime as well.

So I can basically just get any mobo with two PCI-E x16 slots and it will work?

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018
I have a fatal1ty fp-in9 sli that I'm not using that I thought I might use to test the graphics cards together. But I am unsure of how to set the SLI mode card since I do not want to use SLI. I will have to find a way to use, I guess windows 10 trial, to test it. I've heard that maybe motherboards with this kind of switch would not work with non-SLI use? I'm not sure.
abit_fatal1ty_fp_in9_sli.jpg

Last edited: