Question Two WD Black 4TB HDs in RAID 0 or Intel Optane?

omenrip

Prominent
Mar 31, 2018
Hi,

I have 2 new Western Digital Black 4TB HDs that I’m going to use strictly for playing games (Steam, etc.). My plan is to install a 32GB Intel Optane module that I happen to have lying around into my Z390 Aorus Master motherboard. The Optane would be used to speed up the access of the WD drives during games.

But then I thought of putting the 2 WDB’s in RAID 0 mode to get more performance out of them and to create a larger HD.

I run a backup each night of anything I must keep, but the original games can easily be reinstalled if something bad happens to either drive.

What does anyone think about RAID 0 vs Intel Optane? I heard that Intel will release a 118GB Optane module in the near future. Maybe this would be comparable to RAID 0 for game access? Or possibly sell the 2 WDB’s and get a 10TB NAS drive and use Optane? I’m just about ready to install these drives into my new build (9900K), so I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
You know Optane merely caches the most used files right?
It can't speed up the whole 4 or 8tb's, just the 32gb of data it decided to cache. A good chunk of that will be files Windows needs as well as your startup programs.

Raid0 will give you a nice large drive (8tb) and fast sequential reads & writes but the tradeoff is lowered random access causing your games loads to possibly be slightly slower. You may not even notice.

The choice is yours.

omenrip

Prominent
Mar 31, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I’m putting Windows on a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD, so I was only going to use Optane to cache the HD’s. I usually have 50-70 Steam games installed, playing the same game for a few nights in a row before switching to another one. As you said, Optane could only help with repeated access to the most recently used files. I’m not sure - with only a 32GB Optane - that I would notice much of a speed increase.

That leaves RAID 0. From your description, it seems like RAID 0 is the way to go for me, since I effectively double my drive size, while definitely increasing performance. All my games should load faster, regardless of when I last accessed them.

Thanks again.

omenrip

Prominent
Mar 31, 2018
If I understand you correctly, i won’t see much, if any speed up with games on my RAID 0 WDB’s. I’m sure a 2-4 TB SSD would definitely show loading performance increases, but a good 4 TB SSD is way over what I spent on the 2 WDB’s.

What about something like a Seagate BarraCuda Pro Compute? Will that give me some speed up when loading games? Or will I only notice a difference with a SATA or PCIe SSD? I’m willing to sell the WDB’s if I can get something larger than 2TB (my old rig ran out of game room with a 2 TB HD) and that’s significantly faster.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the comments.