Two Xbox One's lag issue

KoD Krysco 51

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
I have two Xbox One's in my house and ive been struggling for months now on random lag. I have time warner cable and they are about as stupid as possible when I call them. Here is the rundown:

1. Arris DG860 Modem w Time warner Cable's "ultimate 50" speed. I consistently have 50 - 60 download and 4-5 upload.

2. In the back of the modem I have 4 ethernet cables attached. 2 Xbox ones and 2 pcs. I use the modem as a router too as it I had the exact same issue when using my old linksys router.

3.I NEVER lag on the internet, ever. My download/upload is always excellent and I can stream 4k videos like its nothing. If one xbox one is on xbox live, there is zero lag. If both are on at the same time, the game goes through random bits of dead lag. The game will run flawlessly and then out of the blue either one or both xbox ones completely lag to where the game timer stops and players dont move. It usually lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to a whole minute. once it kicks back on, it runs crystal clear again. When this happens 3 - 5 times per game (we are playing halo 5 right now), its really frustrating.

I have no idea what to do at this point because we play both xbox ones all the time and its EXTREMELY annoying. Ive tried unplugging the pc's from the modem so that only the two xbox one's are in the modem and it makes no difference. Ive also did a pc speed test during a bit of xbox lag and my connection is flawless. I dont know much about port fowarding or if that would even help my problem?

If anybody has any ideas, please help. I cant bear to call TWC one more time. They just look and see the modem working with a good speed and thats the extent of their help. I dont even know if they understand what an xbox one is.

it's not your cable providers job to troubleshoot your equipment. they provide you an internet connection, that you said, never lags online.

contact microsoft, it's most likely their issue. i'll go google and see if i find anything and get back to you.

In general you can not run 2 games consoles behind the same router. Now you can but it depends on many thing but mostly on how exactly the game is communicating.

The key here is to understand what you say you do not know much about....port forwarding. But it is more what ports the games use and if you can change them. This is likely related to UPnP but again you must know what that is to be able to fix stuff.

I suspect the only way to fix this is to make changes on the game console. Since it varies game to game you almost have to go to the maker of the game not even the manufacture of the console....unless they happen to be the same.

There is no way to expect a ISP to understand a game console they are not in the business of selling those devices.