Two XP systems installed??Help!

Iggy

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Help Y'all...
Somehow I have installed two separate XP systems on one hard-drive. It asks
me to choose on boot. How can I delete one of these OS's? I've Googled all
I can think of, with no results. However, I'm convinced that there must be a
simple way to do this...
Any suggestions are appreciated. Or, if there is another group I should ask,
let me know.
THanks.
Iggy

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Iggy" <asurchnerREMOVE@attbi.THIScom> wrote in message
> Help Y'all...
> Somehow I have installed two separate XP systems on one hard-drive. It
> asks
> me to choose on boot. How can I delete one of these OS's? I've Googled
> all
> I can think of, with no results. However, I'm convinced that there must be
> simple way to do this...
> Any suggestions are appreciated. Or, if there is another group I should
> ask,
> let me know.
> THanks.
> Iggy
>
> --

<Disclaimer> I am an amateur. Someone might have a better solution for this.
</Disclaimer>

Go to:

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Startup and Recovery -->
Settings

Under System Startup hit the Edit button. Then edit out the info for one of
the operating systems. OR Unclick the time to display list of operating
systems.

Here's the thing -- that might just be a cosmetic fix, and you might still
have two operating systems installed and taking up space. I think you can
just delete one of the WINDOWS directories before you do the process above.
Hopefully, someone with more experience can confirm or deny this.

Good luck!

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 05:42:51 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
edge when "Iggy" <asurchnerREMOVE@attbi.THIScom> wrote :

>Help Y'all...
>Somehow I have installed two separate XP systems on one hard-drive. It asks
>me to choose on boot. How can I delete one of these OS's? I've Googled all
>I can think of, with no results. However, I'm convinced that there must be a
>simple way to do this...
>Any suggestions are appreciated. Or, if there is another group I should ask,
>let me know.
>THanks.
>Iggy

Are you sure you have two XP systems installed or just two boot up
options installed?

You will find the boot up options in the read only hidden,
boot.ini
file on the system drive(Usually the C drive).
Perhaps someone can post their default single WinXP boot.ini
contents.I dual boot with win98SE so mine's no good to you :/

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Shep© wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 05:42:51 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
> edge when "Iggy" <asurchnerREMOVE@attbi.THIScom> wrote :
>

>>Help Y'all...
>>Somehow I have installed two separate XP systems on one hard-drive. It asks
>>me to choose on boot. How can I delete one of these OS's? I've Googled all
>>I can think of, with no results. However, I'm convinced that there must be a
>>simple way to do this...
>>Any suggestions are appreciated. Or, if there is another group I should ask,
>>let me know.
>>THanks.
>>Iggy
>

> Are you sure you have two XP systems installed or just two boot up
> options installed?
>
> You will find the boot up options in the read only hidden,
> boot.ini
> file on the system drive(Usually the C drive).
> Perhaps someone can post their default single WinXP boot.ini
> contents.I dual boot with win98SE so mine's no good to you :/
>
> HTH :)

'Plain' boot.ini for Windows XP SP2, except I have changed the timeout from
30 to 15 seconds.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Note that last line (showing as 2) is wrapped here but not in boot.ini

He can tell if he really has 'two' installations by noting the system
folder in the disk boot lines under "operating systems". Mine, the only
one, is \Windows. If he has two installations it will not be the the same
folder in both entries. If it is the same folder then there is either some
difference in the 'options' (/ key switches) or the 'second' one got
installed on top of (replacing) the first.

The "default" line is just what it says: the 'one' that will be booted if
the user does not make an alternate selection before the timeout period
expires.

/NoExecute=OptIn is for the DEP feature in service pack 2.

Iggy

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Hi Guys, thanks for the help. I found this with My
Computer->Properties->Advanced->StartUp and Recovery Settings->Edit.
My Boot.ini file reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

I would like to delete the default windows, and make the second installation
listed above the default...if that makes sense. How should I change the file
above to do this? I think I get it, but expert guidance would be welcome.
Thanks you again for your help.
Iggy

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Iggy wrote:

> Hi Guys, thanks for the help. I found this with My
> Computer->Properties->Advanced->StartUp and Recovery Settings->Edit.
> My Boot.ini file reads:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
>

> I would like to delete the default windows, and make the second installation
> listed above the default...if that makes sense. How should I change the file
> above to do this? I think I get it, but expert guidance would be welcome.
> Thanks you again for your help.
> Iggy
>
> --

Yes, well it certainly thinks there's two installations but before we go
willy nilly changing things we better verify it's 'right' and get a handle
on how it got this way.

It says you have two drives. Correct? Your current default is on rdisk 1
and the second, I presume 'new', installation is on rdisk 0

Judging from the switches, the 'new' one appears to be on Service Pack 2
but the other is not.

When did the second one appear and what did you do that caused it?

Also, where are your program files? Which hard drive and which installation
do they appear in (in the Start Menu)?

A first test would be to remove the hard drive with the default
installation on it and then boot, by selecting the second, the second
installation and verify it all works with just that one drive and has the
programs you expect. (I suspect it's either not going to boot, or your
programs won't be there, or some other problem)

If that actually did work, you'd modify boot.ini to read:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

(changing the default from rdisk(1) to rdisk(0) and removing the rdisk(1)
entry from the "operating systems" list)

A 'safer' mod, with a bit of 'insurance' to make sure you *really* don't
need that second hard drive, would be to change the default only (I.E. just
change the 1 to 0 in rdisk() for the default) so you could still select the
other one if needed.

That would look like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Your default would then be installation '2' but you could select '1' if
need be.

> 'Plain' boot.ini for Windows XP SP2, except I have changed the timeout from
> 30 to 15 seconds.
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=15
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>

> Note that last line (showing as 2) is wrapped here but not in boot.ini
>
> He can tell if he really has 'two' installations by noting the system
> folder in the disk boot lines under "operating systems". Mine, the only
> one, is \Windows. If he has two installations it will not be the the same
> folder in both entries. If it is the same folder then there is either some
> difference in the 'options' (/ key switches) or the 'second' one got
> installed on top of (replacing) the first.
>
> The "default" line is just what it says: the 'one' that will be booted if
> the user does not make an alternate selection before the timeout period
> expires.
>
> /NoExecute=OptIn is for the DEP feature in service pack 2.

Iggy

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Thank you for your help David. You continue to provide this group with
reliable, helpful information. I got everything sorted out, and my system
runs well now.
Cheers,

Iggy wrote:

> Thank you for your help David. You continue to provide this group with
> reliable, helpful information. I got everything sorted out, and my system
> runs well now.
> Cheers,
> Iggy

Glad to hear you got it straight.

How did the second installation get there and I presume the program files
were on the drive you wanted?