Ubisoft Nuking Used Game Sales with Uplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I dont see why this is necessary,

If i buy a used lawn mower, Honda isnt going to make me pay just to use it.

the game was bought new at one point. they got their money out of it.

G

So if I don't use the online features I can sell the game and the next owner won't have to pay $10 to you crooks :D

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
That EA part I didn't hear about 'till now, but I already stopped buying Ubisoft games when they implemented that always online game scheme with Assassin's Creed and others. My thoughts on this is whether or not the features are really worth it or is it just for online access.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
This is why the last game I ever bought from ubisoft was FarCry 2, and for just 15 bucks on steam to top it off.
Weather they're fellow pc gamers or console gamers, their still hurting gamers, so I boycott, unlike, many others who bitch but still buy on release. What the hell do they think the cash for used games goes to most of the time...NEW FREAKING GAMES!!!!WTF??

Hey, wait a minute, that's like legitimizing theft! I guess they want to lose their client base? These idiots should just shut the f*** up, cause that's what I'd do if I didn't want to lose my client base, I'd shut the f*** up. I'm now ashamed they have a studio in Montreal...

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Doesn't it feel good when you shell out 50% more for a brand spanking new game?

If you think about it, when a person buys a used game for $25 and the game costs $50, that is $75 instead of $100 if both people bought a new game. Makes sense to me now lol.

G

Alright, so Ubisoft joins EA on my Do Not Buy list. I hope they go bankrupt.

G

Well I think the above comments are not very well thoughtout at all.

Buying 2nd hand games means that the developers make earn no money what so ever from you purchasing it. Please think about the following example.

Joe Bloggs comes into his local game store to purchase LA Noire on the Xbox 360, its priced at £30 brand new, he has the cash and is all good and ready to pay for it. Now the cashier has a preowned copy of LA Noire that is in mint condition, and is selling it at £27. The cashier directly attempts to sell the 2nd hand version of the game thus diverting profit that would go from the developer completely. Its this exact situation the developer/publishers wish to avoid.

You cannot compare this situation to a lawn mower, think it through before you type. You dont go into a tv store to buy a tv only to come out with a preowned one cos it is a couple quid cheaper.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Joshua666, take your own advice and think things through before you type.

If that is your example then your issue should be with the retailer not the customer. The customer is free to spend his money as he chooses and should not be forced to buy a diminished product because he chooses to buy used. Not everyone can afford to pay full price. Not everyone wants to pay full price for a game that might suck.

Imagine if more companies from other areas started doing this. You can buy that Range Rover used but it will no longer have 4 wheel drive and will only go 60 miles an hour unless you pay Rover an additional $10,000 above what you paid for the vehicle used.
You can buy that Sony TV used but it will no longer display in HD unless you pay Sony an additional $100.
You can buy that used iPhone but it will no longer work until you perform unspeakable act of carnal pleasure on Steve Jobs.

Do I need to go on?

G

Are these publishers really in this bad of financial trouble? Is the mobile gaming sector really hurting you that bad Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc? Mobile devices may have the appearance of hurting the PC and console markets, but it's about time you (they) wake up and smell the coffee. Gaming has done nothing but grow. Gaming is becoming a socially acceptable part of the average person's lives. There is more opportunity, publishers just need to adapt. You have the record industry pushing artists to release albums with one song wonders. Lady Gaga and her god-awful attire have learned that selling cheaper with higher volume is a business model that works. She has sold so many songs by selling them cheaper. Look at the mobile sector. You may have a huge staff and creating a game can be expensive, but look at the gross, don't be stuck on the old and outdated games sales of the past!

Back on topic, crippling a bought game is a crime in itself. This is greed at it's finest. I am so sick of companies trying to milk every dime out of customers, selling sub par products and complaining how the industry is going, Die already!

G

Food for Thought:

A Good Parasite (Pubs) keeps the host(customer pockets) alive...

G

Do I need to go on?
No allow me, these are not comparable at all. A better example of similar business would be movies or concerts where tickets are used once per person.
It is also common business practice to try and maximise your profits, especially when you have extremely tight margins.
We are at a user pay situation for so much of our other things in life so gamers are going to have to accept it too as it inevitably spreads more into their lives. Boycotts are such idle talk, go get a job and you won't worry about little issues like this.

yettyman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I don't see a problem with it. The lawn mower example is flawed because there are other things that come with buying the lawn mower new that you won't get used. Warranties are the main thing. You wouldn't buy a used lawn mower and get a full warranty from the manufacturer without paying more.

The same goes for cars. You don't get the 100,000 mile warranty on a 2008 Ford Mustang if you buy is used in 2011. This happens in all businesses because they lose money for offering the services when they don't see the revenue.

The game companies just want to get a part of all the sales of their game which they should be entitled to. The real problem is with the used game companies. They are even more profit hungry than the game companies. The do no work to make the game but then buy for way below market value and sell it for profit.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
@mayzie

They are comparable and yours are not. Your examples are of consumable products. There is nothing left over when you are done. You don't get to take that movie or concert home with you so you can sell it to someone else.

When you are done with a video game you still have the video game to do with as you want. If you choose to sell it to someone else that is your legal right in the US. It is ethically wrong for a software company to think they deserve to get paid every time their mediocre or crappy game gets resold. If they were really concerned about this they should make games that are so good people want to play them over and over instead of selling them. Then everyone would want to buy it new.

The public will ultimately decide if they are OK with UbiSoft and other software companies doing this by voting with their wallets.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mayzie[/nom]Do I need to go on?No allow me, these are not comparable at all. A better example of similar business would be movies or concerts where tickets are used once per person. It is also common business practice to try and maximise your profits, especially when you have extremely tight margins.We are at a user pay situation for so much of our other things in life so gamers are going to have to accept it too as it inevitably spreads more into their lives. Boycotts are such idle talk, go get a job and you won't worry about little issues like this.[/citation]

do i have to go into the whole "get a job" thing again? a minimum wage job, or close to ($10~) only pays enough barely live outside of a ghetto, and even than, at the end of the month, if you have even close to $100 left over, you are @$%@ing lucky.

you see, with movies and concerts, you can resell your ticket. i just looked it up on wiki, i live in the united states, and for the most part, if you aren't on the premises when you sell, its for the most anything goes.

besides, tickets are a one time use item. you cant go and rewatch it with the same ticket.

a video game, once its sold, is sold forever. there will always be that copy.

the ticket system sickens me to no @$^&ing end, that companies are that @$^*&ing greedy they have to nickel and dime us in every mother !@#%ing way possible.

frozendarkness

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom]Some more corporate crap. My recommendation: don't buy a single game with a Uplay Passport.[/citation]

My recommendation: grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.