Question Ubuntu installation failed?

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Hi guys.
I've created Ubuntu installation media on my 32GB Patriot memory card with raspberry pi imager.
I inserted into Pi 5 and turned Pi on, and after asking to setup keyboard type and time, it booted me onto desktop and I got this window:

" Installation failed.The installer encountered an unrecoverable error "

I rebooted and at login/password prompt for some reason it does not want to accept password (showing message authentication error, or something like that).

What should I do?

Last edited:

OldSurferDude

Honorable
May 18, 2019
I have to assume you followed the How to install Ubuntu Desktop on Raspberry Pi 4 which you found from the
Install Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi page. I have only used the imager for Windows, so I will assume that the Ubuntu linux imager is the same in the respect that the image put on the memory is verified and you allowed the verification process to complete.

I don't have an RPi 5 but from what I read, they are energy hogs. Your power supply has to be able to provide, correct me if I'm wrong, 5V +/- 0.25V at 3A.

Though unlikely, overheating could be a problem. I understand that you must have the heat sinks on CPU, GPU, etc. and probably a cooling fan.

You're going to have to re-imaging the SD card and try again. Sometimes things go whack-o. If the second installation still fails, try another SD card; twice, if the third attempt fails. If this fourth attempt fails, go to the Ubuntu forum and see if you can get it sorted out there.

Does the stock RPi image work?

That forum, like this one, has members that ask for more information that is not particularly relevant to the problem. So fully document what you have done and lay that out in your post. For example, your host computer hardware (CPU, RAM), your computer OS (name and version), you'll be asked if any other programs were running when you did the imaging. You'll be asked where you bought your RPi, the SD card, the USB card interface to the host computer and on and on.

I hope that you second re-imaging works for you.

OSD