UI Expert Says Windows 9 Will Be Windows 8 Done Right

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I dunno, obviously there is a lot of Windows 8 hate - but I'm pretty ambivalent to it. I think it has some nice features, like the fact that I can sync my personal account to my domain account, built in Sky Drive, etc - a lot of features review sites haven't touched over. Of course, I only know about all of this is because I need to (it's my job to constantly stay ahead of the curve in IT). I use it at home and at work because it has improved multi-monitor support and I don't have to use any junk software.

Like most other IT, I use it mostly on the Desktop, but I don't think the Weather Metro App was designed for above average user and up, it was designed for your casual user who can just click a button and get weather (this is an example, mind you). Or the whole splitting apps thing is great for single use people (Skype and IE for chatting and webmail for home users).

I see a lot of potential in Windows 8 and evolving towards Windows 9. I think it's a great long term strategy (platform unification) that will pay off. If you don't like it, there are plenty of alternatives, from start menu buttons to staying with Windows 7.

G

I have Windows 8 installed on a convertible laptop (Lenovo x220) and it works great in conjunction with the touch screen. However, in laptop mode, it starts to show it's warts and not a well thought out layout. Really, Windows 8 should be a tablet OS only. Windows 7 is still more that adequate for desktop use where no one is going to replace their multi-monitor setups with touch screens. As for Windows 8 in the business world, I work in IT and have yet to see Windows 7 deployed anywhere since Windows XP is still the corporate standard. Nobody is slower at adopting OS's than the corporate world (and for good reason).

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
[citation][nom]drosencraft[/nom]There are a few flaws with this "analysis". First off, if you don't know an OS, everything will seem hidden. How many people know where to find the Run command or the Command Prompt function? It's not hat they're hidden, it's that most people don't use them regularly, so of course they're not gonna remember they're there. How many of the millions of users of Win7 even know how to quickly find Control Panel, or add/remove programs? Second, multiple windows is still supported. I'm using it right now. I'm not sure why they can't use it, but it's still supported. Furthermore if you use the new UI you can snap multiple apps side by side too while working on the desktop...[/citation]
Have to commend you on posting a comment that's actually well thought-out and informative. After reading the full article I think the issue is that his analysis focuses almost completely on the metro UI and ignores the desktop (he says "Windows 8" repeatedly when he is only referring to metro). From that perspective, I think his analysis makes more sense. I'd be surprised if anybody would use Windows 8 on a desktop PC if they could only use the Metro UI.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Windows 8 is pretty awesome compared to 7, everything is just there, on the main screen... I admit it took a bit of time to get used to it, but anyone who says it sucks, has neither the intelligence or patience for it so they should go use an Apple product. (let's keep the r-tards to the i-tards)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Please don't bother with a service pack. Just get Windows 9 out ASAP! And please, bring back the Windows 7 look and feel (i.e. Start Button, boot to Desktop). I would've purchased Windows 8 if it had more customization, but it did not. It assumed its users all have touch screens and are ready to throw away their mice.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]If Windows 8 was bad to begin with and Windows 9 is going to be a "better version of Windows 8", why didn't they make Windows 8 right in the first place?[/citation]

Well, the good OS needs a lot of testing and robust driver system...
The win9 will tinker Metro UI to a little bit more towards desktop usage, but not so much that it would hurt mobile usage. Differences will be guite small, but hopefully they help people to find right corners... The manufacturers will be more ready with their drivers and so on. All of this takes a time and there have to be something ready until it can be tweaked, so win8 UI is the first version of many iterations of tile systems in MS-software. So win9 will be better than win8... Nothing new in here...

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I've used win8 for many months and just migrated my win 7 work machine to it. Sorry haters... But I don't use this thing any different with win8 then with win7 in any way loaded full of enterprise tools needed to run an enterprise network (lots-o-vmware stuff for example). I may only see the start menu a few times during the day. I usually only remember that Im in win 8 at the end of the day when I'm shutting down and then get a bit annoyed that the power buttons more of a pain to get to. Seriously... did you people ever use DOS? M$ will never give you the "push this button to do everything for me" button.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The reason Windows 7 was awesome and windows 8 sucks? Windows 7 they decided to listen to the customer then in windows 8 they said we know better so we will tell them what they want. Very simple.

[citation][nom]boyabunda[/nom]Windows 3.1x (1992) - GoodWindows 95 (1995) - Mixed bag, at the beginning it suckedWindows 98 (1998) - GoodWindows ME (2000) - Sucked (hard)Windows XP (2001) - GoodWindows Vista (2006) - Sucked although not as hard as MEWindows 7 (2009) - Very goodWindows 8 (2012) - Not goodWindows 9 (2015?) - ?[/citation]

People hated XP first few years, you too young (or too old) to remember back then? And dont tell me the service packs fixed it they did very little.

If you tried Vista you wouldnt say that, its 99% the same as 7

ME and 2000 are NOT the same product, 2000 was the same as 7 without the fluff.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]People hated XP first few years, you too young (or too old) to remember back then? And dont tell me the service packs fixed it they did very little.If you tried Vista you wouldnt say that, its 99% the same as 7ME and 2000 are NOT the same product, 2000 was the same as 7 without the fluff.[/citation]

He has 2000 in parentheses as an indication of the year it was released, not that is was Windows 2000. And Vista isn't like 7. Vista's menu navigation sux.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Get over yourselves already. Been using 8 since dev preview. First on my tablet PC, then on my laptop. You hypocrite naysayers have been complaining about each Windows release since the beginning of time. You are the same guys who were bitterly clinging to Win98 while people were rocking XP and moaning about XP while we were using 7.

Here's a shocker: I use 8 for work, that's right! My desktop spans three displays which are thoroughly filled with "windows". I did mention coming from 7 and guess what: my productivity has not been hindered.

If you choose to live under a rock, feel free to do so. Use Windows 3.11 for all I care. But coming in here to troll around the forum bitching about "OMGosh, win 8 is sooo terrible" is just dumb. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Duh...! the UI of Windows 8 sucks dead donkey balls.

Microsoft should $PAY$ me and blazorthon for the UI correction which would have made METRO functionally usable. We came up with solution to this cluster-frack months ago.

1 - Make Metro (call it what it is) optional, but default.

2- Metro RUNS on top of the desktop for x86 version.

3- This means that Metro TILES runs up the left side of the screen (default) which would have MADE all those Live tiles actually USABLE! Live tiles are useless IF YOU CANNOT see it when using an APP or in desktop mode - but only if you are *IN* Start Menu-screen mode (remember, the BS reason MS said that they got rid of the Start Menu was because "people didn't use it much" - so they shitify the UI and somehow expect people to use THAT?

This would have been a 2-column side (standard WP8 UI layout) tile setup... this would have MADE the mouse scroll wheel make a LOT MORE SENSE.

4- the Start BUTTON remains... after-all, its STILL actually there - just hidden. The charms saves NO time or effort. The right side button is brought back.

5- Use the AERO tweak from 8440. The flat UI of desktop and Metro look like dog crap.

6- Metro APPS can run like they do in Windows8, but they should DEFAULT to standard WINDOWS controls. they open up in a WINDOW on top of the DESKTOP. Click on full screen full, etc.

7- All the other tweaks to Win 8 are pretty much fune.

8 - fix the DRIVE properties to modern look, still same old ugly purple and blue pie-chart.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]i still think its to early to be judging windows 8. As we are still awaiting developers to take full advantage of the new UI. granted ive only used it on a VM session on my mac but i kind of like it.[/citation]

Wow, running Win 8 as a VM on a Mac.... In this case two negatives does NOT make a positive!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Oh yeah... quite a large number of MS-paid "customers" and employees are hitting the sites as fluffers to make Windows8 seem better than it is.[/citation]
Once again, I dont see any checks from Microsoft in my mail box, and I like Windows 8 just fine. At least be original if you want to continue the pathetic attempts at trolling the comment section.

G

hannibal, In no way will windows 9 have any part of that closed ecosystem front door to the M$ app store Metro/Modern run time in my face every time that I log into my PC! M$ better get this right or it will be a very poor choice on their part! I have no need of the M$ app store depulication, and a crappy duplication at that, of the desktop applications that I have installed on windows 7. M$ had better keep that on their own branded hardware, and keep it off of my third party OEM PC! Any windows 9 that has any part of the Metro/Modern UI will just be another Redux of windows 8!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Microsoft should just patch the disabled startmenu in already, or Microsoft to be an idiot to continue losing million of sales. I am still wondering what is preventing them to do so.

G

belardo, Those are just the M$ Spinions! they are paid M$ minions that are hired to put a positive Spin on the current OS that M$ is trying to shove down everybody's throats! Try as they may, no amount of lipstick is going to make that Pig of a Metro/Modern UI into a supermodel!

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
There seem to be a large number of people here that scream 'Haters!" as soon as there is any criticism of the windows 8 UI. Seriously, I tried to make Windows 8 work for me. It impedes workflow. Productivity drops. To those talking about Classic shell; it certainly makes work less difficult, but it's still a hack trying to fix something Microsoft shouldn't have broken in the first place.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I personally dont scream "Hater" at everyone that dislikes it. I just dont have much of a tolerance for the morons that don't even attempt to use it before they start bashing it with a bunch of idiotic drivel.
But it is amusing, to say the least, how anyone on here that does happen to like it is either in Microsoft's pockets or just a clueless fanboy. it is rather revealing of the individuals posting that nonsense on here.
I want to read thought provoking comments, versus what the majority go around posting. Or is that asking too much? I guess I can answer my own question, though, considering some of the dummy accounts set up so people can spew their ignorance without having their main account involved. It's really sad and immature.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
have to agree with Darkerson.

I myself and many other others have been windows 8 without any issues. Sure it took a bit (10 mins) to figure out where everything is, but is it broken and unusable as many have been screaming, NOPE.

Also if you want your nice little Start Button Back. 1 min search in Google you will find many different ways how to get not only the start button back, but also make it boot straight to the desktop as your primary opening UI.

As with any change, haters are going to hate. Is Windows 8 perfect, absolutely not but it is a step in the right direction and if you don't support change and allow it to grow then all you end up with is, well the iPhone 5 with a longer screen.

It is okay for people to have opinions, but opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they are usually shitty. You don't like Windows 8 thats great stick with Windows 7, just don't bash me because I could figure out what you could not. :)

G

sgtgimpy, it is more than a start button back, most people want M$ first attempt at forcing their closed ecosystem Metro/modern UI on third party OEM hardware nipped in the BUD! Say what you will about Apple, but Apple is not trying to force their closed ecosystem on any third party computer OEMs! We want All traces of the Metro/modern UI gone on the windows 9 that comes with any third party OEM PCs! Microsoft is free do do its will on the hardware with its brand, but not my current PC or any PC that I may BUY in the future! I have windows 7 to keep the Metro/Modern universe out of my hair, but for new hardware if their is no windows 7 option, then there will be no Sale!

Windows 8 is already Windows 8 done right! Windows 8 is in my opinion very good. I have found it easy and faster to navigate Windows 8 than I ever did Windows 7 and that is not to say there was anything wrong with Windows 7 ether. I guess for me I can get use to using it no matter how it works it just comes easy for me and I am not closed minded to thing that there is only one way to do things.

After using the Windows 8 Release Preview for a few minutes it was second nature to be able to get around the OS as if I had been using it for years. Aside from that the other things that are in Windows 8 that the user is not exposed to from day to day meant I wound not be going back to Windows 7 like native support for my 50" 3D Plasma. Even my app's and games load faster than Windows 7, not that Windows 7 was slow.
I never really liked the Start Menu in Windows 7 anyway it was a pain having to click start>All Programs>Scroll the folder I what>click the folder>and then finally start the app. With Window 8 just click Metro scroll to the app and click to run it. I found myself pinning everything I use from day to day on the task bar just so I would not have to use the start menu in Windows 7.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]NoMetroUniverse[/nom]sgtgimpy, it is more than a start button back, most people want M$ first attempt at forcing their closed ecosystem Metro/modern UI on third party OEM hardware nipped in the BUD! Say what you will about Apple, but Apple is not trying to force their closed ecosystem on any third party computer OEMs! We want All traces of the Metro/modern UI gone on the windows 9 that comes with any third party OEM PCs! Microsoft is free do do its will on the hardware with its brand, but not my current PC or any PC that I may BUY in the future! I have windows 7 to keep the Metro/Modern universe out of my hair, but for new hardware if their is no windows 7 option, then there will be no Sale![/citation]
I will admit, the concept of Windows becoming a closed ecosystem is something of concern, but until they start locking all the doors and only letting you in via their store, Im not too worried. So far, I have been able to do everything on 8 that i was able to do on previous versions. Steam installed just fine. I can go around and get all my favorite programs the same way. So nothing overly important has really changed, in my opinion. Unfortunately, this is just something we all will have to play a wait and see approach to. If anything, off topic, Im more concerned about Intel being rumored to making all their future consumer based CPUs non socketable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS