UK to Announce New Web and Email Monitoring Law 'Soon'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
wow. imagine this in the hands of a white collar criminal. it is put into place to stop terrorism and then is a backdoor for all types of privacy invasion and fraud. this is not a good idea.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]We already have that here... it's the "Patriot Act".[/citation]
This is horrible!! As bad as the Patriot Act is, it doesn't require ISPs to install Govt hardware. This sounds more like what they do in the middle east and China, where the govt then has control to shut down communications completely. :(

But it will soon come to the US... and we will be told it is 'for our own good'

[citation][nom]bigmack70[/nom]What is with governments and their rampant desire to rule the internet these days?In the end, it's the everyday citizens that lose.[/citation]

It is already here, if you don't believe it you are kidding yourself and should wake up.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom]+1 to the UK gov.[/citation]
It is ironic that the people who want to be controlled, like you, are in favor of controlling others. Hypocrite much? How about the gov't stay away from the internet, because if you don't think that they will abuse the power and ultimately shut down what they dislike you are a fool.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This kind of legislation just makes me so angry (and glad I don't live in the UK). I for one am willing to accept that terrorism will happen and am not willing to give up any more freedoms to make myself feel safer. In fact, lets roll back ALL anti-terror legislation made in the past 12 years and just accept that a very small number of people will occasionally be killed. That is a fair price for freedom.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]This kind of legislation just makes me so angry (and glad I don't live in the UK). I for one am willing to accept that terrorism will happen and am not willing to give up any more freedoms to make myself feel safer. In fact, lets roll back ALL anti-terror legislation made in the past 12 years and just accept that a very small number of people will occasionally be killed. That is a fair price for freedom.[/citation]
Fact is that this, and all the other laws, don't actually stop terrorism. We already have the means to monitor terrorists within the confines of the law, this is just a way around those laws.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yep, glad I don't live in the UK....

Meanwhile, back in the real world.... All the tools that a smart criminal would use to circumvent the supposed government monitoring, are already out there, for free.....

So what does this end up doing?

It gets the dumb criminals at first, then it becomes a great civilian oppression tool......... while the criminals that this was originally intended to catch get away.....

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
If you are innocent, you have nothing to fear.

Me, I'll continue using encryption for anything important or even slightly embarrassing.

G

i'm from Romania (not a gypsy, those are other people). In my country they voted in PE for ACTA, our president use gendarms oppression against people's protests. And they think ACTA is a good idea, they try to hide the privacy invasion.
Can't you see governments in almost every country make massive efforts to spy people, to invade people's privacy? under the mask of "terrorism prevention", of course.
there are no good intentions in this, we have to expect of the worst and also we need to fight for our rights.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I use a secure VPN to ensure all of my data is encrypted as it goes across the wire and it allows me to change what country my VPN connects to. Only $80 a year. On top of that use SSL wherever I can to prevent people from sniffing my traffic. All of my hard drives are encrypted and I have my own server that I use for email and web hosting. My server also controls the DNS for my network so I can get around a DNS blockade if I need to.

kreed_uk

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]I use a secure VPN to ensure all of my data is encrypted as it goes across the wire and it allows me to change what country my VPN connects to. Only $80 a year. On top of that use SSL wherever I can to prevent people from sniffing my traffic. All of my hard drives are encrypted and I have my own server that I use for email and web hosting. My server also controls the DNS for my network so I can get around a DNS blockade if I need to.[/citation]

Wow, I bet you like to look at children...

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
UK looks more like China than China does these days.

I wonder those who always condemn China will jump out and say something.

Status
Not open for further replies.