Ultrawide 34in 1440p gaming..

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Hi guys. I'm slap bang in the middle of a new build for mainly playing wow, streaming and video production.

I have an Acer X34 Predator monitor and was hoping to wait for the next Nvidia GPU to power it. But as its likely to be delayed beyond 15th August I'm unsure what to do next.

Do I bite the bullet and get a 1080 now or should I wait it out?! I'm honestly don't know what to do from here... 100fps is my goal here at high settings. The extra £££ needed for Ultra is a waste in my opinion.

The rest of my build is 2700x, 16gb ram, and 500gb m.2 if that matters.

Any advice would be great. I don't mind waiting to maybe September but anything beyond that will be a tough wait.

Also.. No real budget limitations, I'm mostly thinking value of performance per £££.

Thanks.
Pablo

Solution
Yeah WoW is addicting that's for sure.

The plus side is that there's not much to do until right before BfA launches. Many people are on break from WoW. My whole guild has stopped raiding. And if you're not into the endless rep grinding like I am, you won't be able to get the allied factions anytime soon anyways.

And for you, that actually is a good thing. The closer it gets to release date the more people start playing again anyways. Right now it's mostly newbies and the most hardcore raiders, neither of which are particularly fun to deal with.

So really you shouldn't be in much of a rush to get the GPU anyways. And I would definitely get the 1070 equivalent when it does come out. It should be more than enough for WoW.

On the other...
I have a 1080ti and a Preadator x34 and it is awesome. A 1080 can push it pretty good too.

As far as next gen GPUs, it looks like July/August for a new GPU. I expect they will be released this year and before the holidays. But a August release does not mean you will be able to get your hands on one, especially at a reasonable price. If released in August, it will be November before you get your hands on a non-referenced xx80 at a decent price. And that is if the crypto craze does not kick back in.

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Damn. Seriously?! That blows. Currently on amazon you can get the evga 1080ftw card for £550. I'm not really interested in a 1080Ti as I believe that will be overkill for my needs.

Would the new 1180/2080 likely be a lot higher priced? If so how much would you reckon? 600-700??

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
I honestly would wait. A new 11-series 1070 equivalent *should* give you the power of a 1080 Ti for the price of a 1070 maybe a little bit more.

Then you can have your cake and eat it too.

However, if you truly are only playing WoW, which like I said in your other post, is a CPU-heavy game, you could get away with a 1070.

My 1080 Ti is used less than 40% in WoW on Preset 7. And if 100fps is your goal, the 2700x you want isn't going to cut it at higher settings anyways. And reducing the graphical settings to optimized the CPU power further reduces the GPU you need. Only reason I even have a 1080 Ti is because I play other games a lot. But even then, my 1080 Ti can't keep 100Hz on Ultra on all games. Only a handful can't but it's not powerful enough in some case.

My 8700k at stock I get about 73fps in Dalaran, and as low as 45fps in raids. Don't really PvP but I can only imagine BG's are also a trainwreck, since I go down to about 35fps on world bosses. Just so many people around. With a 2700x you're going to get about 10-15% lower fps even with a 2700x OC vs a stock 8700k. So just over 60 in Dalaran and other big cities, about 40 in raids, and 30 in BG's and world bosses.

If you are still using the GPU for your editing purposes, I would still wait. An 11-Series 1080 equivalent *should* (if current trends in Nvidia GPU's stay the same) give you about 15-30% more power than a 1080 Ti.

So if you're only using the GPU for gaming ask yourself if you want to buy a 1070 now or wait for the 11-series 1070 equivalent.

And if you're really dead-set on the 2700x, I wouldn't get anything more than a 1070, unless you are playing other AAA titles.

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
I was getting those kind of frame rates with my old rig, 4670k and 980ti. Are you running tons of addons or something??
I'm almost certain I was on preset 7 also.

Mind you, anywhere between 5-7 the difference is negligible to me. I cleared all HC raid content without frame rate issue with that set up. Makes me wonder why I sold it all really... Haha

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
I run less than 12 addons, the 980 Ti is more than enough power for WoW (it's actually equivalent to a 1070 so a 1080 upgrade is really going to be negligible as well) and depending on if the 4670k was overclocked or not would also determine that. The avg. OC for the 4690k is about 4.3GHz, so if you were around there you would easily see similar fps as my 8700k @4.3GHz.
WoW performance is mostly determined by clock rate, as long as you have 4-cores.

For example, I was running a 6700k @4.7GHz (4-cores/8-threads) before upgrading to the 8700k. I am now running my 8700k @stock for the time being (4.3GHz 6-cores/12-threads). And I lost between 8-12% of my fps. Was getting high 80s in Dal, min 50 in raids, and still about 35-40 on world bosses, not much you can do about those lol.

Those are all preset 7 though. I easily hold 60+ fps in raids on Preset 1, but it looks like absolute trash, I'd rather put up with the lower fps and have it look prettier not to mention some things are super hard to see with particle density at low.

It also depends on how long ago that was. Mine are Legion figures sounds like yours are probably Warlords. There was a huge overhaul right before Legion launched and it dropped fps across the board dramatically. Many people who ran the game fine before then started struggling after that. My 2012 MacBook Pro ran it at 60fps on medium settings at 2880x1800 before Legion. Now I get 20fps on Low at a much lower resolution. Preset 7 is the old Ultra. It also depends if you were actually running at preset 7.

Even if it's old a 4670k isn't a pushover so i'm not surprised that you were getting fps similar to my 8700k, especially if it was OC'd.

That CPU could still put the 2700x to shame in WoW.

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Ah well. I've already taken delivery of the 2700x and x470 motherboard so I'll have to stick with it for now. Unfortunately.
Still waiting on my new chassis and cpu cooler then I'll make a decision at the end of July on the gpu.

As for wow, I was running legion and running the raids with many customised addons(Flippmo gaming is my YouTube channel). I sold my PC as a way of getting away from wow, but I miss it too much to stay away. I'm just gonna ▶ more casual now and look into video editing and try and use my new pc for more than just gaming.

Can't see me paying much over £600 (max) for a new gpu however, so likely will grab either a 1070ti or 1080 at end of July. I enjoy loads of PC games like battlerite and league just as much as WoW that don't really tax the system too much. I love my acer predator x34 monitor tho. It's a beauty at 100fps.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Yeah WoW is addicting that's for sure.

The plus side is that there's not much to do until right before BfA launches. Many people are on break from WoW. My whole guild has stopped raiding. And if you're not into the endless rep grinding like I am, you won't be able to get the allied factions anytime soon anyways.

And for you, that actually is a good thing. The closer it gets to release date the more people start playing again anyways. Right now it's mostly newbies and the most hardcore raiders, neither of which are particularly fun to deal with.

So really you shouldn't be in much of a rush to get the GPU anyways. And I would definitely get the 1070 equivalent when it does come out. It should be more than enough for WoW.

On the other hand, the 2700x if you are able to OC it to 4.3GHz (which seems about average) you will be seeing around the fps I do with my stock 8700k. And to be quite honest the only reason I haven't OC'd my 8700k yet is because I am content with the FPS I get in WoW and every other game runs perfectly fine with it at stock, and I wouldn't see an FPS increase anyways. So if you are able to OC the 2700x to 4.3 it should work out fine for you. Granted you still probably won't hold 100fps in WoW at all times, but that's really just not possible even with an 8700k. Realistically even with the best CPU and a heavy OC, your minimum fps will still be about 55 on WoW.

And yeah.. Predator X34.. probably best monitor out right now... until the X35 comes out lol. And at the low low price of an arm, a leg, the blood of a virgin, your first-born child, and your soul, and $3,000 for good measure...

Solution

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
My build is gonna have an aio cpu cooler so that should help with the 2700x overclock. 4.2ghz at a minimum should be doable.

I guess I only want the gpu now to finish the rep grind to unlock void elves then level one up for bfa. But it seems an awful lot of time and effort just for a sub race... Dunno what to do.

My heart is saying order a 1080 now and jump back in, but my head is saying chill for a few months... What's the rush. Which of course there none.

Cheers for the last post. Made me laugh at the x35 price tag haha

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

That was my dilemma. I really wanted to play a lighforged Draenei but then I found out you have to be exalted with Army of Light to do it, which requires clearing Argus WQ daily for about 3-4 weeks....
I mean I have a full time job, and a wife with a baby on the way. I get like 8 hours a week on my computer tops lol, i'm not spending it grinding for a stupid purple blood elf and yellow draenei.

For a company that puts in "take all things in moderation, including WoW" in it's loading screen tips as much as they do, they sure love making people grind endlessly for content they pay for monthly....

I did Argus WQ's every day for like two weeks and I'm still only like 10% through revered with Army of the Light... and my main character is Human....

I think there was talk of lowering the requirements when BfA hit but I'm not too sure. Most everyone I know is either on break or playing the Beta of BfA.

I understand all too well the desire to get back into WoW. If you really can't wait, you can't. I doubt you will have too much buyer's remorse when the new stuff comes out, you will just have bought something comparable for a lot more. I have that all the time anyways. I just bought a $230 RAM kit like a month ago, Corsair Vengeance RGB, then they came out with RGB PRO's which have better OC control and a cooler light bar.... And also was waiting for RGB fans but when their RGB fans came out they were unimpressive so I bought 5 ML140's $30 each. A month later they come out with their dual light loop RGB software controlled fans... I was livid.

The fact is with tech something better is always around the corner, the question you have ask is if you are willing to wait.
I bought my X34 a year ago waiting for the X34p, It finally came out, I'm glad I bought my X34 but I still want the X34p. But now also the X35 is coming and I DEFINITELY want that lol. The question is, am I willing to spend almost as much as my whole rig is worth for a monitor I am definitely not going to be able to max settings out with. lol but the answer is yes lol. I'll just have to rob an ATM to do it, but I will get one.. and then the first UW 4k monitor will come out a week later watch lol.

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Aye dude. My time is too precious to worry about farming rep and levelling. Plus I'll likely be maining a warlock and if its a new toon I'll also have to go back to the Isle of thunder and farm the damn tome for the green fire - which I already have on my undead warlock!! Sounds madness when you actually think about it. And maybe enough to piss me off and ditch wow for another while! Defeating the purpose of my new build in the first place!

Tldr... I'll wait on next series gpu!