Aug 1, 2020
Title explains the gist of it, the concern I have is the iGPU using RAM for no reason, when it isn't even being used. I'll run down on what I've tried below the specs.

PC Model: HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-0145M

Specs
  • AMD Ryzen 3 3200G OC'ed to 4.0GHz
  • NVIDIA RTX 2060
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM OC'ed to 2666MHz (2400 MHz stock speed)
  • 128 GB NVMe SSD
  • 240 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HDD
  • F23 BIOS for 8643 (In case anyone needs that detail)
Things I've tried
  • There's NO option in the BIOS to disable the iGPU, no matter if I was on Legacy or UEFI mode.
  • I've tried disabling the iGPU through device manager, to no avail.
  • I've tried clean installing Windows 10 with the 2060 installed and in use, it still picked up the iGPU.
  • I've tried uninstalling the drivers COMPLETELY. Even with DDU in safe mode, to no avail.
  • I've tried contacting HP multiple times regarding this and they seem clueless as to how to resolve this and told me they'll "get back to me within a few days with a resolution"
  • I've tried rolling back the BIOS, no luck, always got an error "Unable To Find Bios Signature File" HP seems to be clueless about this as well.
  • I've tried following this tutorial, to no avail. It basically does the same thing I do when I right click it in Device Manager and click "Disable device"

What I wanna know, is there any way that I can force disable the iGPU to where it's completely shut off and not taking my RAM for no reason?

Any help would be appreciated!

Wolfshadw

Titan
can force disable the iGPU to where it's completely shut off

No.

The issue here is that you're trying to do something that a pre-built system is not going to allow you to do. If they did, they'd have endless trouble tickets saying "No Display" to which they really shouldn't be trying to walked noob computer users into trying to fix. Just easier to remove that capability.

If it REALLY that much of a concern to you, purchase a new case, motherboard that supports disabling the on-board graphics, and power supply. Move the remaining components to the new case, install the CPU and reinstall Windows. The motherboard BIOS should now allow you to disable the on-board graphics.

The other option would be to replace your current processor with one that lacks on-board graphics (and is compatible with your current motherboard).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: AdderallTaco
Aug 1, 2020
No.

The issue here is that you're trying to do something that a pre-built system is not going to allow you to do. If they did, they'd have endless trouble tickets saying "No Display" to which they really shouldn't be trying to walked noob computer users into trying to fix. Just easier to remove that capability.

If it REALLY that much of a concern to you, purchase a new case, motherboard that supports disabling the on-board graphics, and power supply. Move the remaining components to the new case, install the CPU and reinstall Windows. The motherboard BIOS should now allow you to disable the on-board graphics.

The other option would be to replace your current processor with one that lacks on-board graphics (and is compatible with your current motherboard).

-Wolf sends

Thank you for explaining this, you really know what you're talking about, that's exactly what I needed, I appreciate the helpful insight!

Oct 22, 2020
Thank you for explaining this, you really know what you're talking about, that's exactly what I needed, I appreciate the helpful insight!

I know this is months from your original post, yes getting a new motherboard that allows you to disable vega graphics would be a solution but after you buy a new motherboard and a new case, you might as well buy a newer cpu without integrated graphics. You can use ryzen 1000 series, 2000, 3000 and the soon to be released 5000 series on am4 platforms, i.e. b450, x470, b550, x570 motherboards. 300 series amd motherboards work as well. You can find b450m boards for under $100 so whatever you think would be the best option if you haven't already fixed the issue. Better cpu would give you better performance over a motherboard that allows you to disable vega graphics