Unable to install Windows 7 due to Windows 10

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
I just formatted my HDD from Windows 10 so I can put Windows 7 on it. Although the drive is formatted, it stil somehow boots to the Windows 10 repair menu. Putting in the Windows 7 flashdrive doesn't do anything. It totally ignores it and goes straight to Windows 10 repair. Even setting the Flash Drive as number 1 boot device doesn't fix it. I've had problems with the HDD before, namely that the MBR was damaged and I had to fix it during Windows 10 installation process.

Solution
It is most likely formatted wrong also. Follow the instructions above to recreate the flash media and try again. It's probably a UEFI enabled device, which your bios doesn't know how to handle.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
You probably have the uefi settings enabled, which would not allow booting from a win 7 usb, because it would not be a trusted uefi boot source. Go into bios, change boot setting from UEFI to Legacy, and try again with the flash drive.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Forgot to mention that I had UEFI bois enabled and it still worked. It would just get stuck at the part where you have to restart.(at the starting Windows logo). Also, all I get in the BIOS is CSM or UEFI boot. (My laptop has American Megatrends BIOS btw)

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Extracting files from Iso, tried using both Rufus and WinRar. I think the problem is that the Iso I haveis bootable UDF. I grabbed a known bootable iso and it was labeled as bootable DVD/CD. Is it possible to convert from UDF to bootable DVD/CD?

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Well, I only have 700MB DVD-R's laying around. How can I split the installation onto multiple CD's?

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015

that's his (or her, for all I know) problem. it won't boot off of a USB flash drive for reasons unknown.

I don't recommend extracting the iso to the usb drive as boot ability issues tend to come up.

the best way is to use a program like http://www.isotousb.com/ and use it to make the iso to the usb and make it bootable.

simpily copying files will not make the usb stick bootable usually.

there are many other programs that will make a usb bootable if you don't like this one. I just like this one because its simple and no adware.

to the OP, What is the make and model of your motherboard, all system can boot from usb unless ancient. it a matter of bios setting/key combinations and making sure your trying to boot from usb 2/0 not a 3/3.1 port (black colored port not bleu or red)

as for making a USB boot from ISO or O/S Cdrom, Maxwell is right, you need to use a secondary program like he mentions I use RUFUS because it quick and fast and has yet to fail.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

It's a Toshiba Satellite M50D-A-101. I've made some progress, if UEFI BIOS is on, it gets stuck at the "Starting Windows" part. If CSM boot is on, it complains that there is no boot device.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

I waited for 18 minutes and nothing.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Sounds like your hard drive is formatted as GPT and not as NTFS, and more than likely still has a recovery partition on it which is why you are seeing the windows 10 repair window. Reformat the hard drive, removing all partitions first, as an ntfs volume.

Now that we have a suitable place to install to, let's check the integrity of your flash drive. Try it in another computer if you can and try to boot from it. Does it boot into the win 7 setup? If not, recreate flash drive.
Here is a decent tutorial that can help.
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_Windows_7_bootable_install_USB_stick

Now we have a good source, and a good destination. Change bios to CSM, boot order to flash drive (might be listed as USB-HDD or PMAP or USB in the bios boot list). Insert the drive and try to reboot.

The GPT file system for hard drives started being used in windows 8, and continues with windows 10. It allows for UEFI (trusted source) fast boots, which offers better security measures on systems that have a bios to support it. However, it does not see windows 7 usb as a trusted source because it is not an 8/10 bootable device.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

You were right, it was formatted as GPT. Fixed that in diskpart, formatted with NTFS. The flash drive sorta works, it takes me to the setup but I can't use my keyboard or mouse. Strange, but I would call it a working drive. If I switch to CSM, it doesn't detect the drive, as I get the message "Reboot and select proper boot device".

Jesse_20

Distinguished
You might have the mouse and keyboard in 3.0/3.1 usb ports and not 2.0 ports. 3.0 drivers were not available for windows 7 and therefore would not recognize any devices on those ports. Look for black usb ports, and avoid blue/red ones, or just keep trying different ones until you find some that work. This might also be true for wireless keyboards and mice. Try using wired devices if this is the case.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

They were already in USB 2.0 ports.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

I was using wired keyboard and mouse and I don't have any 2.0 ports left.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
There is another fix for the no input issue, but it was for another model and you might not have this setting in your bios. Still, it's worth checking.
Go into bios, look for devices->virtual kbc support, and enable it. This might return functionality during the setup.

duvex

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Theat's not really my main concern, I just booted up the thing and it doesn't detect the HDD, even tough I can feel the vibration, hear the head park and move around and the force shutdown beep.

TRENDING THREADS