Unable to install Windows 7 on BRAND NEW Asus X540s laptop-BSOD Error

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Hello, I have recently bought my daughter her first laptop as a gift and have been racking my brains as to why Windows 7 won't install. We get an error message of which I attach a screenshot (well a photo of the screen).
I am well versed with PC's, after all I am able to get the USB Flash drive recognized and started. It isn't until just after "Starting Windows" does the screen go blue with said verbage.

Now to put things into context my daughter wanted a computer like mine, which is Asus X75VC, of which I have no issues running Windows 7.
Her new Asus X540s struggles with Win10, regardless, we don't want Win 10, but will keep it as the main C partition for now. Am also waiting on Linux Mint 18, but today I need Windows 7 so please help!

Have spent the past few days scouring these forums, but have yet to find a solution to this "modern" problem. Computers these days seem to be going backwards, with less customizeability freely available at our disposal.

[P.s. How do I attach a screenshot with the error message? ]

Solution

But you said your have Win7 already installed and network access via wifi ? So why don't you...
I think we need a bit more details here. What the stop code of the bsod ? You are trying to set up a dual boot system? And there is space for the second primary partition already? And the boot manager recognizes the second os already And why does the laptop "struggle with win10" ? And why do you want to install an outdated os anyway ?

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Thank you so much for your reply and willingness to assist… Questions, questions.

Stop code: 0x0000007E (there is more information, I have a screenshot, can I attach it?)
Yes, a dual boot. My ASUS I totally deleted Windows 10, but for the sake of a new computer, with included Bloat (Asus apps, PDF editor, etc) I wish to run Windows 7 alongside.

The boot manager does indeed recognise the second OS (install media)
The laptop is a budget entry level model, only 4GB of RAM, Windows 10 is too processor intensive. But that is besides the point, I am a Windows 7 user and we wish not to fix something that isn't broken, thank you.

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Okee dokee, here is the brick wall I am hitting with full info…

2a82b10.jpg

First of all; are you sure it is not a hardware error ? Does the laptop work with the Win10 installation ?
Do you use the usb 2.0 or the 3.0 port for the install-stick ? Win7 doesn't support the 3.0 port without additional drivers (that are not offered for the laptop). In fact there are no win7 drivers for it all and it might be a tuff task to get it to run with this os. And how do you shrink the existing partitions to get space for Win7 ?
And even if it is beside the point: win10 is in fact less demanding on entry level hardware like this, because it uses better resource management.

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
I have since tried using a genuine Windows 7 DVD Install Disk and am still getting the BSOD.
I tried loading it in Safe Mode, it lists drivers up to disk.sys and then the same BSOD.
Is it possible this hardware will just not run Windows 7.
Shall I take the Laptop back to PC World for a refund?

bogdansv

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Since it fails at disk.sys let me drop my 2 coins too ...
Check if your BIOS has a setting for sata mode. Some laptops can be set to AHCI or IDE/Compatibility mode.
Try setting the sata mode different and then try to reinstall...
Hope it helps. Best of luck.

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
In BIOS there is no option for IDE, it only lists AHCI and you are too right, I totally REFUSE to blindly go down Microsoft's 'bait and switch' intrusive path they trying to force upon us all. If anything, Linux Mint is about to be released and if Windows 7 won't work the Linux it is.
One last suggestion I haven't thought of until now, do you think I should convert the Disk to MBR using DiskPart?

bogdansv

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
If it's GPT then that's your problem right there. Win 7 is very picky about installing to a GPT disk. You need to have an x64 install usb/dvd and start the setup/boot process from a uefi environment if the board is capable. If any of these are missing you need to move the data if any form the hdd somewhere safe then delete everyting and convert the drive to mbr, install windows 7 to a partition and then the linux distro to another.

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
This is insane, tried installing Kubuntu (Linux) and Fedora (Linux) and Mint (Linux) ALL of which gave me errors!
I had previously used diskpart to clean and convert to mbr and back to gpt and now mbr, trying all possible combinations

As a last ditch attempt I am now running DBAN ( as per this thread: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=81637 )

This is so time consuming, considering. Non of these issues ever occurred on my own ASUS X75VC, what gives, brand new ASUS X540S

29ncfg2.jpg

73ia21.jpg

bogdansv

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Strange. If you boot to the live Ubuntu/Debian/Mint session (and see local storage) then you should also be able to install it. I'm beginning to suspect faulty RAM. I would do a memtest just in case from the live cd boot options. Also chech the disk with the tools from the manufacturer: seagase sea tools, wd lifeguard, etc ... most are on hiren's boot cd.

bogdansv

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Under SATA mode what can you select instead oh AHCI?
If you can change it to the other option and after that start the mint/ubuntu install. Do a clean install (i.e. repartition the drive).

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Under SATA there is no other option. No IDE, only AHCI.
But hey, I have managed to install 8.1 today and also a fresher version on Linux Mint 18 BETA. Only the grub menu displays at boot and haven't been able to log in. Yet.
I must point out, everything is now on MBR, not GPT, and in BIOS Flash USB wasn't showing up, only UEFI, but upon reboot and holding down ESC key it gives me boot options.
7 may be a no no, but we are not being forced to run 10 here.

Thanks for your continued support, sevenforums were a bit more arrogant, asking me why I hadn't contacted ASUS and spoke to them.

bogdansv

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Don't mention it. It's got personal by now :)

Since it seems that legacy booting gets us nowhere I think it's time we tried to install using UEFI and GPT. So use there two articles to install windows 64 bit under uefi and linux mint. (keep secure boot disabled but launch the setup using the boot options with UEFI: in front):
1) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html
2) https://www.linux.com/learn/how-install-linux-windows-machine-uefi-secure-boot

Hope this helps because I'm running out of ideas here :)

7freedom

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
bogdansv, I can definitely take you seriously!
Ok, this all started when I initially tried to install Windows 7 on my daughter's [just over a week old!] ASUS X540S laptop.
So, yes, it was with the originally formatted GPT drive.
Since then I have learned the Command Prompt diskpart, list disk, select disk, clean, convert mbr (, exit) route.

I have come to the conclusion that this architecture doesn't cater for Windows 7. It hangs on disk.sys as visually readable via safe mode.
However, there is no disk.sys file in the Windows 7 iso.

But check this out!! After copying the error code in its entirety and pasting into Google it turns out we are not alone here. In fact almost identical scenarios are showing up across the board. However, the dilemmas, with or without solutions, are hard to decipher as, well, take a look yourself:
http://www.progtown.com/topic2014923-windows-7-bsod.html